Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Open Streetmaps with Strava heat overlay
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Did I post this up already?

http://strava.github.io/iD/#background=MAPNIK&map=5.73/-3.338/54.437

It’s technically a map editor, but if you zoom in enough you are looking at OSM with Strava heatmap overlaid. Very useful for route planning. Just don’t accidentally click on the routes and save your changes.

You have to click on the layers icon on the right hand side to choose cycling heatmap instead of both cycling and running; you can also choose the underlying map here too which is handy – you can use old OS maps to get an idea of contours, they haven’t change much since the 30s 🙂

LittleNose
    Free Member

that’s very cool molgrips 🙂

cheers

nickjb
    Free Member

Handy tool. Just need to add live gps tracking

jimdubleyou

Sorry, your browser is not currently supported. Please use Potlatch 2 to edit the map.

Doesn’t work on browsers at work. Bookmarking to have a go at home…

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m using Chrome, I never thought to check other browsers. Quite possibly your work security settings.

It’s meant to be a showcase for this Slide thing, but I cannot figure how the feature as documented fits into what I am seeing on the page.

jimdubleyou

Works on Chrome at home – must be security at work.

Handy tool – will be bookmarking for future use 🙂

thenorthwind

Very interesting. Bookmarked for when I’m looking at a big screen.

It seems a lot of people’s GPSes are out of whack – lots of lines through fields/buildings parallel to road/paths.

andytherocketeer

I see the OSM map but not the heatmap overlay (even though I can see the global heatmap selected in the overlay menu). Also see an error saying it can’t connect to an API.
    Chrome, Linux, home, so no work blocking. Might try disabling privacy badger or ublock.

edit: yeah, privacy badger seemed to block openstreetmap and strava heatmaps sites (which is odd cos I’ve never had any issue using them directly or in other sites). works now if I whitelist them.

welshfarmer

Been doing this on my phone with AlpineQuest app for a couple of years 🙂

with live tracking. Was very useful when self guiding in the Alps last summer. Saved the OSM maps for the area at nice big scale and saved the Heat map as a layer. Then overlay them, set transparency of the layers, and off to go. Follow the dot…

mark90
    Free Member

I do it on my phone with Locus and use OS as the base map, no reason why couldn’t use OSM but prefer to use OS.

welshfarmer

Yeah, also use OS in the UK but when abroad then OSM seems about the best/easiest/cheapest/only option available as a base layer

phiiiiil

Welshfarmer I never knew Alpinequest could do that! That’s awesome, now I’ve got the strava heat map on OS maps. Ta very much… 🙂

geoffj

Saved for a lazy Friday at work

paladin

i like.
    a lot.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Open Streetmaps with Strava heat overlay’ is closed to new replies.