Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Open Source CAD alternatives (3d)
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

Have some CAD stuff to mess with (mainly reducing polygons and prepping for import to somewhere else) AutoCAD is a little outside of the budget and Source Forge isn’t really coming up with a good alternative.

Any suggestions? or any converters to reduce the level of detail? Trying to get down from 100mb to about 20…

CountZero

I’m not sure if its of help, but AutoCAD is available for the iPad, which is pretty cheap, and surprisingly flexible, so I understand. [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBVN7z1dkrU&sns=em[/video]
    Not something I’d use, but it might help you out, if you can run it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Cheers

Turns out it’s on all formats
    https://www.autocadws.com/
    Be interesting to see if it can do anything though

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Autocadws isn’t too bad. I’ve not tried doing anything other than viewing on my android tablet though, but use it on a PC at work when we run out of licenses.

Freecad has been mentioned recently. No idea if its any good.

If you’re of questionable ethics, then I understand the Inventor/Autocad license is incredibly easy to hack. Apparently.

dti

draft sight

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If you’re of questionable ethics, then I understand the Inventor/Autocad license is incredibly easy to hack. Apparently.

It’s for work so not doing that.

Will have a look at Freecad & draft sight

bencooper
    Free Member

Google Sketchup is also surprisingly good for basic stuff. There’s also Blender.

CountZero

Didn’t know about the other formats, I’d only seen an iOS feature about it. Makes perfect sense. I did see something today on Flipboard about a 3d modelling package that allows you to create 3d figures, then have them printed up on a 3d printer. I don’t know how sophisticated it is, I only skimmed the feature. I’ll see if I can find it, it might have something useful you can use.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Sketchup lost it’s AutoCAD import in V8 without going pro and it karked it trying to open the file, Ac3d is also struggling, hence AutoCAD to reduce triangles at source then try and work with it. Will see how these go and what the 30day autodesk trial does.

CountZero

Knew I’d seen it, but it needed a bit of digging to find it on Engadget. It’s actually a specific monster/creature design and create app. Looks fun, though;
    Autodesk 123D Creatures lets you create monsters on your iPad
    http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/14/autodesk-123d-creatures-lets-you-create-monsters-on-your-ipad/

stumpy01

+1 Draft Sight…

cp

Can draftsight or autocadws model 3D? thought they were 2d only.

stumpy01

Sorry, should have read the question properly…

Draftsight is 2D, not 3D…

nickjb
    Free Member

They can both open 3d models. Not sure what edit capability they have.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Rhino
    linky
    you can save 25 times

johnellison
    Free Member

They can both open 3d models. Not sure what edit capability they have.

DraftSight cannot open 3D models – it’s Dassault’s 2D drawing editor which replaced Solidworks DWGedit.

I could tell you all about the gash copy of (cough)Solidworks 2012(cough) which somehow fell into my lap a few weeks ago, but weeeelll….

nickjb
    Free Member

DraftSight cannot open 3D models – it’s Dassault’s 2D drawing editor which replaced Solidworks DWGedit.

Well don’t tell my copy because it opens them quite happily 🙂 Even works with my 3D spacemouse.

philxx1975
    Free Member

This gash copy of Solidworks you have Johnellison, You might want to keep that to yourself instead of advertising the fact.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Open Source CAD alternatives (3d)’ is closed to new replies.