Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Open letter to the Chancellor of the Exchequer
  • waynekerr
    Free Member

Not my idea, but I do think it’s brilliant.

Dear Mr. Darling,

Please find below my suggestion for fixing Britain’s economy. Instead of giving billions of pounds to banks that will squander the money on lavish parties and unearned bonuses, use the following plan :

There are about 20 million people over 50 in the work force. – Pay them £1 million apiece severance for early retirement with the following stipulations:

1) They MUST retire. Twenty million job openings – Unemployment fixed.

2) They MUST buy a new British CAR. Twenty million cars ordered – Auto Industry fixed.

3) They MUST either buy a house or pay off their mortgage – Housing Crisis fixed.

4) They must send their kids to school / college /university – Crime rate fixed

5) Buy £50 of alcohol / tobacco a week there’s your money back in duty / tax etc

It can’t get any easier than that!

P.S. If more money is needed, have all members of parliament pay back there falsely claimed expenses and second home allowances.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Hmm I could point out the many failings with that but I’ll not, and just revel in the nice idea of giving 20 million people a million quid 🙂

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I suspect the 30 year old children of these people might be a bit miffed at being removed from their jobs & having to go back to school!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    GrahamS

erm… isn’t 20 million x 1 million = 20 trillion, not 20 billion?

So you’re arguing that instead of giving billions to the banks they should give trillions to the people?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Depends on your definition of a billion. IIRC billion was a million million, but the usual measure is the “US” version (10^9).

PrinceJohn

just give me a million pounds & I shall fix everything.

GrahamS

Coffeeking: true but if someone is using the pre-1974 definition of a billion then I propose they are not in an ideal position to lecture the chancellor on economic policies. 🙄

grizzlygus
    Free Member

Yes ….. it’s an idea.

But I suggest that it requires more work.

Trimix
    Free Member

Well its novel.

At the moment the chancellors plan seems to be the same plan that got us into the s4ite in the first place.

GrahamS

At the end of April they were predicting that the total UK bank bailout could reach £100 billion.
    Now that’s a fair amount of money.

But the OPs plan would cost 200 times that, around ten times the UK GDP.

Not got my vote I’m afraid.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

20 million people working over 50? Are you sure?

alwyn
    Free Member

Ahhhhh hyperinflation will be your downfall!

GrahamS

Indeed. 20 million new millionaires would soon make things very expensive for the rest of us

Onzadog
    Free Member

Maybe this little thread has highlighted the real cause of the ecconomic crash. No one really knows how much they’re talking about when they start talking in billions.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Open letter to the Chancellor of the Exchequer’ is closed to new replies.