Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Open Access for bikes in Wales, proposed two years ago. Did anything happen ?
  • ninfan
    Free Member

I don’t see a problem there either, common sense applies as usual – British horse society manages to represent horse riders on PROW in a predominantly responsible and sedate manner although sometimes they may canter or gallop on rights of way, and without all horse riders being viewed as national hunt jockeys.

(I may use a similar comparison to shut up a particularly vocal and anti bike horse rider at the next LAF meeting actually)

shedbrewed
    Free Member

gwaelod – Member

Health benefits too…not just sustainability and tourism.

Yup, that’s what Active Travel Bill is pushing towards.

mtbguiding
    Free Member

@Shedbrewed – do you have contacts for either/or? Thanks

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Has anyone mentioned the Byeways and bridleways trust? They do a lot of work around rights of way and have People like Alan Kind (sort of local hero in the North East for trail riders and horsey folk) also the TRF (motorcycle trail riders) do a huge amount of work protecting Byeways – I fact the TRF model would translate well into an MTB organisation MTBRF (MTB Riders Fellowship?)

Having been loosely involved with motorcycle trail riding for over 35 years I have seen things change and the Ramblers/CPRE (Council for the protection of Rural England) are the main organisations that will try and reduce/restrict/remove your access rights at any opportunity and they are very powerful organisations (well funded and supported) and if you think these organisations have no issue with the MTB presence the you are mistaken – there are already complaints in swaledale over MTB damage.

ninfan
    Free Member

I’d agree that there are still calls and arguments against us by a vocal minority, however it’s a dwindling minority and they don’t have the momentum or carry the weight that they did twenty years ago, nobody’s really listening to the rabid anti cyclists any more. I’ve just ploughed through fifty odd pages of internal reports about how Surrey dealt with the leith hill complaint by one of them, the councils approach was very even handed in protecting mountain biking, when it could have played very differently.

it’s very different from pre foot and mouth, back then even places like The dales national park were openly hostile, and the trails in Wales and Scotland have fairly firmly rooted us in the rural economy and eyes of the people in power. The political weight has shifted and hopefully will swing further, the approach has swung heavily towards management rather than prohibition, even where there are ongoing problems like mod land in Surrey, the noises going upwards are often a lot more accepting than the public persona, and this bodes reasonably for the future.

It’s really not all bad news for us, we can dou a lot more, but we’re not under threat. We’re not close enough to say ‘a rush and a push and this land will be ours’ but we’ve come a long way.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Agree it’s currently a fairly good time to be an MTB rider and the support from forestry, local councils and random landowners is pretty good – but I think an MTB intrest group like the TRF would only help make more progress –

shedbrewed
    Free Member

mtbguiding – Member

@Shedbrewed – do you have contacts for either/or? Thanks

Will see what I can sort out for you and send via email.

mtbguiding
    Free Member

@shedbrewed, thanks and @oldmanmtb,totally agree… 8)

bendertherobot
    Free Member

Things are always fairly difficult to pass in the dying years of an Assembly term. Once next year is out of the way one hopes that it will be back on the timetable.

I have to say, it’s not simply about legislation. The Scottish Access Code, as living breathing document, is the key to avoiding issues there. Any legislation in Wales would need a similar document. After that it’s all about personal responsibility.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Open Access for bikes in Wales, proposed two years ago. Did anything happen ?’ is closed to new replies.