Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Oopps: Beer Bottle 1, Million Pound Tower Bridge Glass Walkway 0
  • jambalaya
    Free Member
    globalti
    Free Member

So a big sheet of toughened glass is a bit like a carbon frame – strong in structure but prone to impact point damage. Same effect as those pointed hammers you see beside train windows. Actually it’s probably toughened and laminated for this very reason.

peterfile
    Free Member

This is national news????

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Jamie
    Free Member

Yes!!!!

Although, it is in the ‘How About That?’ section, so probably not meant to be up there with the real heavy hitting stuff.

Drac

I can’t see it being front page news or breaking headlines on the news at 10 but yes being in the UK it’s on the National news or at least a very small article on a few websites.

So a big sheet of toughened glass is a bit like a carbon frame – strong in structure but prone to impact point damage

It would be like scraping the heli tape on your new bike, it’s a layer designed to take damage to protect the rest.

rewski
    Free Member

Well the journos are far too busy ready twitter asking permission to use his pic

https://twitter.com/the1gordo/status/535931774774550528/photo/1

stilltortoise
    Free Member

We are gutted it’s happened in the first couple of weeks when it’s been open to the public but it’s completely safe.

I’m not sure I’m prepared to take your word for that 😯

TPTcruiser

Each pane of glass weighs 1200 lb

Laminated, toughened and extra thick panes. Expensive to replace. But not expecting things being dropped on it or someone in stilettos to walk on it seems a bit short sighted.
    In too much of a rush to install a feature without full testing?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

But not expecting things being dropped on it or someone in stilettos to walk on it seems a bit short sighted

This^

andytherocketeer

five layers of glass in each pain

ouch.
    and I thought that was one of the more quality rags?

ElShalimo

They must have been able to guess that there’d be some inebriated chunky person in stilletos (lass or bloke – we run a broad church here) on a corporate bash stamping all over it. Very silly.

theotherjonv

They did. That’s why they put a sacrificial layer on top of the structural glass.

piemonster

Laminated, toughened and extra thick panes. Expensive to replace. But not expecting things being dropped on it or someone in stilettos to walk on it seems a bit short sighted.
    In too much of a rush to install a feature without full testing?

Pretty sure for the “glass box” on the Aguille du midi they make you wear slippers

andyl
    Free Member

I bet the person who broke it had a brown trouser moment thinking they were about to plummet to their death in a shower of broken glass.

But as above, they only broke the top layer and it was designed to be easily replaced.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

was shattered when a member of the catering staff working at the venue dropped an empty bottle while carrying a tray.

Thankfully the bottle was empty, if not it would have been serious.

nick1962
    Free Member

Thankfully the bottle was empty, if not it would have been serious.

You bet, I guess beer at them there London attraction prices are dead dear.
    Ninja rocks anyone?

philjunior
    Free Member

In defence of tower bridge/pedantry, the title implies the beer bottle remained intact. I feel cheated.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Oopps: Beer Bottle 1, Million Pound Tower Bridge Glass Walkway 0’ is closed to new replies.