Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Oooo Ek Chief…..Guy Martin – Broken
  • boblo
    Free Member

Guy seems to have come off second best for a change here

matthew_h
    Free Member

Message from Guy.

“I’ve had my head down for a few weeks, because I didn’t want the world knowing I spannered myself, but it turns out the world already knew. I also wanted to make sure that anything you heard was straight from the horse’s mouth.

“I’ve had over 100 cards wishing me well. I really appreciate them, I read them all and I think they’re mega. So thanks for them.

“I don’t remember anything about the crash after headbutting the ground, but the Dainese and AGV stuff I was racing in was bloody brilliant. The leathers were cut off me, but there weren’t many scuffs on them. I headbutted the ground at 130mph, then skidded into a dirt field and catapulted off a few things. The impact I hit the ground with was massive. I was knocked out, but it’s a credit to that helmet that I didn’t suffer any damage other than a badly bloodshot eye. There are no rubbish helmets any more really, but I wouldn’t have wanted to be wearing anything other than my AGV.

“I’ve broken some vertebrae, but I’ve got to say the Dainese back protector did its job. It has a honeycomb aluminium core that was crushed by the impact, which is what’s supposed to happen, and it’s making funny noise if you flex it, but I crashed on Thursday night, I was operated on Friday afternoon and walking Saturday morning. I was in the shed the following Thursday. That back protector genuinely saved my bloody life.

“I might have come around at the trackside, because the marshals told people I was spouting the usual gibberish. I properly woke up in hospital. Then it was all the usual questions, Where are you sore? Does this hurt? I was in Belfast Royal and I’ve never been more impressed by a hospital than I was by that place, all the staff were great. I broke five vertebrae, but they bolted six together, from T4 to T10, because two are unstable, meaning there’s a chance they could move and damage my spinal column. They had to rod my spine because I broke my sternum too. Normally the front will hold the back together or the back will hold the front, but I had broken both front and back. My sternum is cracked straight down the middle, but that’s only cartilage so they don’t do anything to try repair it. I broke five ribs and two metacarpals in right hand, too, and my hand’s been plated.

“I’ve been back at work a while, but I’m struggling with everything. Sharon, my other-half, thought I was an idiot for trying to go back to work so soon, but I’d spent nearly a week at home, and I had to do something. Now she admits that me going to work has moved me on loads, mentally and physically. There’s no better physio than working on trucks and I know when I’m doing too much, I’m not planning to do anything that puts the recovery back.

“The surgeon had to move my shoulder blade muscles to get the metalwork in, then fasten them all on again. That’s what’s causing the most bother, the muscle not the broken bones. A lot of my work involves having my hands above my head, in the pit working on a truck above me, but I’m alright as long as I don’t overdo it. If it gets too much Moody or Belty give me a hand and I’m getting stronger everyday.

“Having a few days off work gave me time to think about what I want to do, and realise all things that have had to go on hold. I still want to race, but I’m not going to rush into deciding what or where I’m going to race.

“So thanks again for all the best wishes and all the messages. Cheers.”
    Guy

toppers3933
    Free Member

The first bit of that reminds me of this;

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lgLYGBbDNs[/video]

peteimpreza

😯

Top bloke

Get well soon fella.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well, well blimey. Always chipper that one eh.

I’f I’da bounced off anything I guess I’d be more inclined to sit with my feet up a wee bit longer than him, and demand more tea too I guess.

Chief.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxdm0_urUjw&feature=youtu.be[/video]

badnewz
    Free Member

That was one big off, the footage doesn’t do justice to how quick he was going.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

That was one big advertising spiel. Looks like he got a bonus for crashing !

Coyote
    Free Member

“but I’d spent nearly a week at home”

With those injuries? Holy F.S.!!!

brakes
    Free Member

I think the crash might have rattled a few more of his tiles loose.

shermer75
    Free Member

I thought that was a great read. I can’t believe he was back to work so quickly! Well done fella 🙂

reformedfatty
    Free Member

Legend. After mashing my shoulder bones / muscles it was 6 weeks before I was back at a bloody keyboard let alone wrestling truck parts around.

peterfile
    Free Member

I thought that too, but part of me thinks that if he’s sponsored it’s just part of the deal. He was in a massive crash and survived…the people that clothed him design stuff that will help you not die if you crash. Despite it being a bit cringeworthy, I’d take an endorsement from Guy Martin after a massive crash as being a reasonable test of the kit doing what it’s supposed to (although I bet he was giving it “do i have to say this? Seriously?”) 🙂

Sharon, my other-half, thought I was an idiot for trying to go back to work so soon, but I’d spent nearly a week at home, and I had to do something.

I honestly can’t even being to imagine how long most people would take off work for something even remotely like this 😯

globalti
    Free Member

Full leathers would have helped save Peter Sagan’s arse from being skinned in the Vuelta.

Oh, wait….

momo

My friend crashed coming out of Quaterlands (the corner before Irelands where Guy crashed) during the superstock race of the 2010 Ulster GP, he didn’t tumble anywhere near as much as Guy but still ended up with an unstable fracture of one of his vertebrae. He now has 5 plated together to support it, spent a week in Belfast Royal, held off on going back to work for a little longer than a week though!

The nurse looking after him when he came out of surgery made a point of telling him that his back protector had saved his life.

seosamh77
    Free Member

toppers3933 – Member
    The first bit of that reminds me of this;

Aye exactly what I thought! 😆

shifter
    Free Member

Good to hear he’s on the mend but someone from here needs to explain to Guy the difference between anecdote and statistical PROOF!

toppers3933
    Free Member

I’m glad he’s on the mend. I like him, he always seems like a nice bloke.

Bez

“There’s no better physio than working on trucks”

Uh huh, right you are, chap.

Nuts. You or I would have been killed, he spends a week getting the itch for spannering a 6 litre Volvo lump. Good to see “Speed with Guy Martin” applies to the recovery process as well.

40mpg

I reckon the product placement is because he’s actually really grateful it worked. He’s seen enough co-riders be out for months or even years.

Looks like they’d removed the hedge on that bend? Just as well as if he’d hit anything solid he’d be in a far worse way.

And LOL at the marshall!

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Sports bikes, too deadly, he should of been on a supermoto, much more fun and sounds better. Thumper thump

epicyclo

FunkyDunc – Member

No, I think it’s great to know what works when used for purpose with a live human.

Northwind

This more than balances out the imaginary injury he got at fort william which he kept using as an excuse a few years back 😆

dannyh
    Free Member

I’m glad he’s on the mend. I like him, he always seems like a nice bloke.

This. I find him a bit grating after a while on telly, but I reckon more people would dislike me if I was on the box. He always seems genuine and enthusiastic and a nice chap. Glad he’s OK.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Glad he is on the mend.

Bad race at ulster this year.

av a moment for Andy Lawson 101 an Arbroath legend at 25.

momo

40mpg – Member
    Looks like they’d removed the hedge on that bend? Just as well as if he’d hit anything solid he’d be in a far worse way.

Not just a hedge, it was a hedge on top of a grass bank, Dean Harrison hit it last year!

trail_rat – Member
    Glad he is on the mend.

Bad race at ulster this year.

av a moment for Andy Lawson 101 an Arbroath legend at 25.

Aye, more red flags this year than I’ve known there before, it was always a nervous time waiting for everyone to come back into the paddock this year.

I didn’t know Andy personally, but I’ve a lot of friends who did, RIP.

spooky_b329

You’ve got to laugh (now we know he’s OK) when you watch this from 5 minutes in, for 45 seconds he is discussing the changes to this bit of the course……

CountZero

I knew he’d had an off, but that’s the first time I’ve actually read what injuries he had and seen the footage. Sheee-it!
    Total rag doll that was, he’s bloody lucky to have got away that lightly.
    As far as the ‘advertising’ is concerned, well of course he’s going to plug the stuff for all he’s worth, it’s part of his bloody job! Those sponsors allow him to actually race, and in return, the kit they’ve supplied him has clearly proved it does exactly what the manufacturers claim it does, by saving Guy’s life with (relatively) minor injuries.
    Don’t people actually understand what sponsorship is about?

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Such a top bloke. Completely mental and clearly obsessive, in a way I can probably slightly relate to. I hope he makes a great recovery, but also I am hopeful that he uses this as a marker to call it a day on this type of racing.

It would have been very sad if this off had been much worse. He should find some other safer outlets for his many talents.

toppers3933
    Free Member

I’ve no issue with him talking about his sponsors and the kit that helped save him or any other rider. Just glad he’s on the mend.

FYI. TT Closer to the edge is on itv4 now.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Oooo Ek Chief…..Guy Martin – Broken’ is closed to new replies.