Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Oooh pwned tonight
  • oldgit
    Free Member

On the way to recce tomorrow nights race course. Got the full under the arm backward look. Mountainbiker 1 – four lycra clad roadies 0

scaredypants

eh ?

samuri
    Free Member

You have to be a roadie to understand. Oldgit was out on his mountain bike and cleaned out 4 roadies.

Coyote
    Free Member

Well done oldgit!!!

donsimon
    Free Member

Oldgit was out on his mountain bike and cleaned out 4 roadies.

I read it the other way. 😐

scaredypants

you mean he overtook ? why did they look backwards ?

any scowling or not saying hello involved ?

(oh, D_S makes sense – mtb’er overtook and then looked back to confirm he’d dropped them ?)

I’d also go for the “invisible hanky” as I went past

oldgit
    Free Member

No other way round. I/we were out to ease our legs and recce the course when a mountainbiker went hooning past. he got the distance and gave us the look.
    Not only were we fully lycra clad, I had my arm around my mate talking tactics for tomorrow night. Wednesday night riding buddies bromance.

Reckon all his birthdays and christmases came at once, bless him.

Haze

Mountain bike guy overtook oldgit and his 3 mates, then looked back to check whether he’d ‘dropped’ them….as I read it.

scaredypants

I’d have to contort myself to look back under my arm on a mtb

Stuey01
    Free Member

There will probably be a thread on here later with someone boasting about how he scalped 4 roadies on his knobbly tired MTB.

oldgit
    Free Member

I reckon he was used to contorting himself 🙂

scaredypants

I’m used to “comforting” myself !

(not often while riding though)

bullheart
    Free Member

I find it’s worth being scalped every now and then. Keeps you hungry…

rOcKeTdOg

I suspect he didn’t give a toss really, I’d be more interested in riding than the supposed achievement of “dropping” roadbikers who where dawdling along (although the fact that oldgit felt the need to point out him and his buddies where “off the gas” is quite amusing )

rickmeister

I’m with Rd ^

Road bike, skinny easy rolling tyres, lighter, bigger gears, better peddling position
    Mtb, fatter draggy tyres, bit heavier, lower gear range, upright peddling position..

I have only overtaken roadies when they are not trying tbh… 36-11 gearing maxes out at 36khm on the flat… then they wake up, snick another gear and breeze past…

Life’s too short etc etc…

molgrips
    Free Member

I suspect he didn’t give a toss really

I suspect he did, takes a certain amount of effort to pass roadies on an MTB unless you are Liam Killeen or something.

Tom83

He probably had a sly chuckle to himself, i know i probably would have (although i doubt i could’ve overtaken!)

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

What the RDog said. Funny that an old man in lycra had to mention they were taking it easy. Who’s the bigger tool in this dull story?….

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

rOcKeTdOg – Member

I suspect he didn’t give a toss really, I’d be more interested in riding than the supposed achievement of “dropping” roadbikers who where dawdling along (although the fact that oldgit felt the need to point out him and his buddies where “off the gas” is quite amusing )

exactly my thoughts – the fact you need to point out you were off the gas and talking tactics 😆 rubbbbbish – you were cruising along at what you thought was a decent steady pace and you got overtaken by a mtb’er and now continue to make excuses for such happenings 😆

at the end of the day you were owned – end of…..

id have looked back and possibly given a smug grin too 8)

clubber
    Free Member

Is the correct answer

c) they were all tools.

And if so, who’s the biggest tool? The mtbers who supposedly pwned the roadies or the roadies who supposedly cared?

oldgit
    Free Member

It’s the timing innit, the one day you’re taking it really easy and you get an upstart with no respect like that come tearing past outta the saddle.
    It tickles me because my first thoughts were STW followed by Bombers. Then watching my mates faces, like dogs on a leash.
    And anyway you know it’s not right, it goes against the laws of physics.

Oh and Jase, congrats on your little’un picking up all those gongs at the MTB races last night…..looked like a mini Jimmy Saville!

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

0/10

oldgit
    Free Member

1/11

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Tour de France is on, so guess all the old wrinkly lycra warriors are out. Bless.

robnorthcott
    Free Member

Reminds me of a similar experience I had years ago. Riding home from school across the Downs in Bristol (probably 6th form, so I wasn’t a tiny child) on my road/tourer and a youth on a BMX came wanging past. I wasn’t sprinting flat out but I wouldn’t exactly have been dawdling either (I was TT-ing regularly at the time). No idea how the bloke could spin so fast, in jeans and leather jacket from what I remember. He’s probably a top class track sprinter now for all I know.

A few years later, as a student, a pair of us on mountain bikes (mine was a Kona Lava Dome I think, 1991 or 92) were JUST hanging on the tail of a group of roadies for a mile or two. They got quite irate that we weren’t taking our turn at the front, even though we pointed out we were only keeping up because of the tow. In the end we overtook, slowed down and they got bored and disappeared 🙂

5lab

wait, roadies cuddle whilst they’re riding along?

oldgit
    Free Member

wait, roadies cuddle whilst they’re riding along?

Yeah it’s lovely, I think I’ve always done that, slung an arm around my mates shoulders whilst going along chatting.

thebunk

Maybe he overtook and looked behind him because he wanted to see two girls in lycra cuddling? Easy mistake to make 😉

oldgit
    Free Member

Possibly, I am hot after all.

xiphon
    Free Member

I remember doing a charity race in the New Forest (along fire roads + some tarmac), and in second place was the local tory MP… on a 24″ single speed cruiser. First place was me 😉

Turns out the MP used to be a professional cyclist of some sorts…

lazybike
    Free Member

Every club has a “vet” that likes to put an arm around you while cruising along, it comes across as, look how good I am riding so close to you with my arm around you while I chat….oldgit, don’t be that guy… 🙂

thebunk

It’s OK, he’s a hot girl so they don’t mind.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’d have given a cheery hello as I passed 🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

Every club has a “vet” that likes to put an arm around you while cruising along, it comes across as, look how good I am riding so close to you with my arm around you while I chat….oldgit, don’t be that guy…

Oh no you saying I’m a typical stereogram

I feel terrible now. And honestly I was only doing it to be totally patronising.

oldgit
    Free Member

I didn’t do it at all on tonights ride, not wanting to worry the newcommers.

stratobiker
    Free Member

I had my arm around my mate talking tactics for tomorrow night

….

Yeah, if you say so!!! 😉

johnners
    Free Member

I didn’t do it at all on tonights ride, not wanting to worry the newcommers.

Boo! I bet that’s all some of them turn up for.

Junkyard
    Free Member

i know it breaks the rules but I would have attacked him tbh.
    You can never ever overtake a proper roadie on a MTB ever. if you do this is what hey are doing or a recovery ride or the last 5 miles of 145 mile trip.
    the cuddling worries me

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Oooh pwned tonight’ is closed to new replies.