• This topic has 49 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by servo.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Onza Payoff. Never heard of them. Any good?
  • asunder
    Free Member

Hi all, I’ve only just come across Onza bikes and like the look of their Payoff frame. I cant find many reviews that aren’t marketing-driven. They seem somewhat similar to a Sherpa apart from the BB and slightly steeper HA. Does anyone have any experience with them? Are they a reputable brand? I’m almost put off by how cheap they are (IE: are they poor quality??)
    Thanks

kayak23

They were big in the olden days. That’s all I know 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Onza Payoff (2016) review

Some reviews about though not sure of the appeal of a 14kg hard tail…

cookeaa

Don’t remember onza?

I dunno, kids these days… 🙄

They’re a relatively ancient brand, used to flog barends, tyres and grips in the early 90s, moved on to selling trials bikes and parts mostly around the turn of the century…

Not sure who’s owned them during all that time, but the name has been around MTBs for ~30 years?

It’ll be on par with any other brand designing stuff, importing from the far east think DMR…

how much of a bargain is the frame?

asunder
    Free Member

Yeah I’m vaguely aware of the heritage of the brand, just not their bikes.. Retail is £315 for the frame.

asunder
    Free Member

?

kayla1
    Free Member

I had a go on one at the NEC the year before last and it was nice to ride around the test track that they had in the woods. The colour (burnt orangey sort of thing) was lush up close but the press fit BB and not-quite-a-small small size put me off 😕

nwill1
    Free Member

I’d seen some very very nice looking builds on PB…I was shocked when I saw the price as I thought they were some neich premium brand.

Looking into them I see they use cheaper tubes than the likes of Stanton and Cotic which appears to be reflected in the weight.

Saw one up Cannock in the flesh, nice looking frame.

oink1
    Free Member

Onza?!?! They’re older than that there mud! 😯 Kids indeed!

breadcrumb

The first SPDs I tried were onza H²0, put me off for 20 years!
    Elastomer based SPD pedals so the effort to release changed with the temperature..

st

I think Onza shut up shop with the brand being bought by another company in the last few years so it’s the name only that exists rather than any genuine heritage.

There have been a few Payoffs posted here over the last year or so both in the classifieds and the general forum. They seem ok for the price of the frame. At £315 You won’t find too much else to beat it.

asunder
    Free Member

Not in the same league as the cotic etc.. Hence a harsher ride? Plodding ride? Reckon the weight would be noticeable.. I’d love to have something worthy of doing up into a race steed

andytheadequate
    Free Member

I had one and it was a great bike, only sold it due to it being a bit too big for me. The copper colour looks amazing in the flesh.

They were more expensive when they came out 2 years ago but recently have had a price drop, I’m assuming because they have an updated model coming out soon.

The only problem with them is the 27.2 seattube, so dropper post choice is limited. They’re not light but they climbed we’ll enough. Although if you’re looking for a ‘race steed’ then a steel hardtail might not be the best bet, they’re designed for fun more than XC.

asunder
    Free Member

Yeah I’m stuck on getting a steel frame. One that can be used for occasional short xc races, as well as general trail fun and maybe the odd overnight trip. Let’s face it, I’m not competitive enough to justify a separate carbon xc rocket

asunder
    Free Member

Leaning towards a sherpa, but got a bit excited at the onza. I think the ebb and skinny seat tube break the deal for me though.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I’ve got one and love it,

Negatives – push fit BB, got an adapter for 15quid, seat tube, got a 50quid dropper, seems ok but have a normal post on it previously and it didn’t bother me as such, not light it is undeniably a bit porky

Pluses it’s a lovely bike to ride, geometry is properly sorted for a trail bike, not as long low and slack as a ffwd oka5but

For 315

matt_outandabout

Yes please. In this colour I saw at FtWilliam WC last year…

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Mines raw so you can see the fillets on the guide brazing and head badge, schweet

andytheadequate
    Free Member

That purple looks lovely! Any more pictures of It?

christof
    Free Member

Mine turned up yesterday!
    Got it built and squeezed a sunny ride in before the rain came!
    Looks great (even as a parts bin build) in the Acid bath, raw finish and feels great on the short blast along the coast path I took it on.
    I paid £285 off the onza site with 10% discount for signing up to their mailing list.

slackman99
    Free Member

Got mine second hand recently and really enjoying it. Disclaimer…I don’t ride large mountains as standard, but it rides really nice for what I do.

Seems nicely put together, with neat welds and a nice colour! Currently running 140mm forks with no adverse effects

[/url]IMG_20170514_154930 by David Scott, on Flickr[/img]

slackman99
    Free Member

Oh yeah, appears to have massive tyre clearance too! Geax Goma 2.4 in the picture above with loads of clearance

asunder
    Free Member

That copper colour is great. Yeah I’m put off by the seat tube and ebb 🙁

Poopscoop

Christof
    I paid £285 off the onza site with 10% discount for signing up to their mailing list.

That offer still on? 🙂

thestabiliser
    Free Member

M.o.a.b, that a bigger seat tube? also drop outs look neater…mmmmmmm

Poopscoop

thestabiliser – Member

Good spot. Must be larger diameter seat post as the CB dropper is only available in 30.9/ 31.6 I think?

asunder
    Free Member

thestabiliser – Member
    Good spot. Must be larger diameter seat post as the CB dropper is only available in 30.9/ 31.6 I think?

good pick up.. interesting! Does this mean there’s a revised one on the way..?

matt_outandabout

All I can add is why did they make a grey one, when that purple was an option? Bonkers…

christof
    Free Member

POOPSCOOP, I i joined the mailing list. I think the code was START MY JOURNEY. The sign up tab is in the top right corner of the website.
    I took it out for a proper ride and absolutely loved it! Rode all the stuff i would on my Mondraker Foxy and didnt get dropped by the others on their full sussers.

asunder
    Free Member

christof – Member
    POOPSCOOP, I i joined the mailing list. I think the code was START MY JOURNEY. The sign up tab is in the top right corner of the website.
    I took it out for a proper ride and absolutely loved it! Rode all the stuff i would on my Mondraker Foxy and didnt get dropped by the others on their full sussers.

Dd you get the frame with skinny seatpost?

christof
    Free Member

No, it’s 31.6

Poopscoop

christof – Member

No, it’s 31.6

Sop you got the revised model for £285…..?

Bloody hell thats tempting!

EDIT: Does the new version have dropouts that can be switched to singlespeed setup? (singlespeed noob here)

andytheadequate
    Free Member

The Jackpot wasn’t 27.2 so it’s probably the old model still. Can’t really go wrong for that price though!

christof
    Free Member

I believe so, but it doesn’t seem as though they have any info about them.You can run it with a eccentric bb which they do for £50.
    I’ve put a Wheels Manufacturing pf30-shimano converter into mine.

Poopscoop

Hmmmm…. wonder if all the ones shipping now are 31.6mm HT?

Poopscoop

Right, just messaged them about seat tube diameter but its a Bank Holiday…

Also signed up to newsletter giving 10% off.

Will see what they reply with regarding the ST size. 🙂

andytheadequate
    Free Member

Pretty sure the Payoff will be 27.2 and the jackpot is 31.6.

The Jackpot has 27.5 wheels and is designed for 150mm fork, I believe, whereas the Payoff is a 29er with a 120mm fork.

christof
    Free Member

Keep an eye on you email junk box for discount code!

Paul-j

Ive got a large black payoff in the for sale section, barley used.
    I brought it to dip my toes in 29er hardtail, selling as looking to go for fast forward last.
    I didn’t realise they were going for £285.

I did say £300 with headset, two BB’s and a seat post. But open to £260 if anyone is interested.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Onza Payoff. Never heard of them. Any good?’ is closed to new replies.