Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Onone Whippet – any alternatives to consider before i take the plunge?
  • dusterbenny
    Free Member

As above, Just wondering if there are any carbon/light frames similer price range (£350-500) I should consider?

Have looked into the maxlight proxc30 jobby, any good feedback from one of these?

Also if anyone has a maxlight, scandal or whippet, and lives anywhere in hampshire/dorest and wouldnt mind me popping over to look at size wise, that would be muchly appreciated.

Thanks chaps

stylish
    Free Member

Now starting to build up an On One Whippet, if it helps i am 5″11 with a 33 Inside leg, and an 18 inch frame feels fine to me, Set the seat and bar height last night, even though the top tube is long, it dosent feel it, i have started with a 70mm stem, as on one spec 60-80mm as the perfect size.

placid_casual
    Free Member

it’s so damned pretty… just buy one!

The Whippet. by placid casual, on Flickr

The Whippet. by placid casual, on Flickr

tk46hal
    Free Member

Ye!
    Seen one at Sheffield/Rotherham show room! If that’s what your in to, then you can’t go wrong! Buy one!

KINGTUT
    Free Member

on-one scandal, half the price and no gopping paintjob like the whippet, fffs who wants the outline of dog on their bike.

epo-aholic
    Free Member

……..for the money you just cant beat it!

Jason
    Free Member

As far as I can see, size wise it is exactly the same as a classic Inbred, so if you can find one of those it should give you a good idea on size.

I don’t think there is anything else on the market at that price with a full carbon frame. Plus the Whippet appears to be more appropriate for UK conditions that a lot of the main stream carbon frames, massive rear wheel mud clearance being one reason.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

Got friends who ride the kinesis km810 – same geometry as the XCpro3 (I think) and they love it.

They do ride for kinesis though 😉

matchstick
    Free Member

I have seen them in flesh and am amazed how light and beautiful the bike is, great value too, click on the link below, there is 2 Whippet’s on page 1 and 3

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12754214

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

I was considering one of these but a few things put me off,
    1. a few comments on here re the quality
    2. It’s made in china, try to avoid Chinese made things as much as possible.
    3. think the smaller sizes look nicer than the 20″ which is the only one that would fit me
    4. The change from clear coat to the new finish, quite like the new finish but the dog really bothers me, that is NOT how a whippet looks when running! What’s the point of paying someone to do the graphics and then drawing the legs like a horse! I know this is just be being a picky artist but still!
    Think the last one annoys me the most…shouldn’t but it does! Sigh.

placid_casual
    Free Member

More Whippet by placid casual, on Flickr

i have to tell you mr. in cars (can i call you cows?), that i haven’t once noticed how the dog looks when i’m riding the bike.
    it rides so well, that the bike could look like a baboon’s arse. fortunately, it doesn’t

On-One Whippet by placid casual, on Flickr

matchstick
    Free Member

That’s lovely placid_casual, what is the weight of the bike and it’s 18″?

Forks is 120mm travel too?

rexated
    Free Member

Lovely photo’s placid.
    forks look like SID world cups at 100mm to me.
    whippet graphic looks fine to me from a biomechanical pedant point of view, not unlike my lurcher when she runs and is leaping over stuff….

dharmstrong
    Free Member

My whippet is being built today I CANT WAIT FOR IT TO ARRIVE!!!!! 🙂

nuke

I’m going to get one….although I’ll be waiting for a more stealthy paint job (Nothing against the dog/white paint job but it’s just to in-yer-face for me and I’m happy to wait)

dharmstrong
    Free Member

I think you can order medium frames in black.

nuke

After a 16″ 🙁

I was all up for the Whippet when O-O first said they were going to build them, then they said they’ll be 100m travel max which put me off, then they turned up and they were now accepting 120mm which was perfect, then they never had any 16″ in stock (Well not that I ever noticed), then they had new ones coming in but, instead of the black, they were all white/red. Ho hum.

dharmstrong
    Free Member

Yeah I need 16 too. Was happy with the red/white as my other HT is black

andyl
    Free Member

I so want a whippet next to team up with my C456. But I think I will have to pop up to the show room and try out a 29er too when the cheaper (non-race) ones are in with swapouts etc.

mendip
    Free Member

andyl, there is a shop near the Bristol Hippodome called Bike Science, they have the On-One Whippet and carbon 456 on display, it’s worth a visit to see it for yourself, here the link:

http://www.bike-science.com/home-c-276.html

There is Bike Science in Derby and Rotherham aswell.

andyl
    Free Member

oo never knew about that place. Handy to know, cheers, will check them out next time I pop back into Bristol. I’ve got a carbon 456 frame sitting here waiting to be built up this weekend though all going well with finishing my work tonight 😀

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

Sorry, don’t mean to poo poo anyones bike choice. I do quite like the red and white, went “oooh” when I first saw it, it’s just the dog graphic that made me go, “booo”. The drawing of the dog is not right, have spent a lot of time studying/drawing/animating dogs and that’s not quite right…but really this is me being a grumpy, picky artist and understand it wouldn’t really bother anyone else (although it should! 😉 ) It’s not that off but the end of the leg is wrong, and the head is a little odd looking to me, too chunky for a whippet. A whippets head is same width as neck. Looks like someone got a picture of a horse and altered it to a dog, but as I said this is just me being picky…

deep_river
    Free Member

What size of rider will a 16 inche whippet fit.

Im 5ft 7 and a half, 30 inche inside leg. Would a 16 be ok for me, or would i need an 18? Im guessing that due to the long top tube a 16 will be the best fit

Ta

martymac

@ cows in cars, its interesting that you say that, because when i saw the graphics i thought it was a horse.
    i didnt realise it was a dog until it was pointed out.
    it wouldnt put me off though, i still think it looks stunning.

nuke

@ deepriver

I’d say a 16″ definitely. I’m 5’9″ with a 32″ and ride a 16″ standard Inbred. As you say, they do have a long TT.

deep_river
    Free Member

Cheers nuke, i am contemplating one at the mo, so nice to know.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Onone Whippet – any alternatives to consider before i take the plunge?’ is closed to new replies.