Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Only an idiot
  • Mister-P
    Free Member

Would let their Di2 run flat on a Friday evening when their charger is locked in the office for the weekend. My name is Mister P and I am an idiot! It’s done well, that’s 6 months of riding on one charge. Please feel free to point and laugh.

cloudnine
    Free Member

I’m glad its not only me that does shit like this..

Klunk
    Free Member

what gear does a flat di2 go to ?

Mister-P
    Free Member

Whatever gear you are in at the time. I’m not making any excuses, it’s totally down to me being a chump. And it’s especially funny if you know who I work for, hey Klunk?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Speshpaul

6 months on one charge is great, but may be too long.
    I know nothing about Di2 – guess its not a USB.
    Could you drop it off at your LBS in the morning?

Oh, I was running a 26 and a 29er, had a box of spare tubes all rolled up. One day I had a great idea I’d write a 9 in yellow crayon on all the 29ers to make them easy to find.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Erm, Di2 does warn you it’s about to go flat if I recall correctly. Doesn’t it drop to the inner ring and refuse to shift up? The idea being that you’ve got your low gears to get you home…..

epicyclo

Single speed looks better and better every day…. 🙂

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

yes Di2 does warn you about low batt BUT you need to PRESS the button to find out! 😀

simondbarnes

Good skills

If the bike trade didn’t close for weekends you’d have been able to get it tomorrow 🙂

Kryton57

Weren’t you on FB complaining about being surrounded by idiots this morning?

Ahem.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Brilliant post, thanks.

Nearly went Di2, had exactly this concern, loving my DA9000 😉

[/smug]

aracer
    Free Member

Where is everybody who said that batteries running flat on Di2 is a complete non-issue?

project
    Free Member

Mr P , why not pop down to to your local bike shop and get a free charge up.

Daffy

I dId this exact same thing with my DI2 Alfine 11 last weekend. It was a cuffin painful ride home/back on Monday with the bike effectively stuck in 52:12.

I assumed that when it was on one bar or battery, it would give some clue as to it being close to runnning out…It didn’t. The bugger waited until I hit my first downhill, whereupon I shifted to the highest gear…that was my last gear shift for the next 55 miles.

aracer
    Free Member

I think the clue was the one bar…

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

what gear does a flat di2 go to

I claim you’re the idiot for asking such a Q.

devash
    Free Member

I’ve seen 2001.

I’ve seen what happens when mankind goes fully automatic.

I’ll stick with my 3 X 9 thank you.

mboy
    Free Member

Having been exceptionally Di2 sceptic for some time, and having already pre-ordered a Red eTap groupset, I’m waiting for the moment I have to eat my words and attempt to ride the bike on a flat battery!

bikebouy
    Free Member

SRAM Red rox 😆

Oh, it’s lighter too.

And seemingly more reliable 😛

Cool story though.

drofluf
    Free Member

Speshpaul – Member

Oh, I was running a 26 and a 29er, had a box of spare tubes all rolled up. One day I had a great idea I’d write a 9 in yellow crayon on all the 29ers to make them easy to find.

Took me a while to workout what you did wrong there 🙄

Of course the original problem is crying out for a better solution. Now, if only someone made a device that would physically connect the the gear selector with the bit that actually changes gear, perhaps a piece of wire pulling against a spring, then we wouldn’t have problems like this 😆

scaredypants

Meh, di2 is brilliant. I’d rather have it and have to carry a backup battery than use snappy stretchy gritty cable
    (On a road bike, that is – till we know the mtb works all winter)
    It is just a lead isn’t it ?

aracer
    Free Member

In which case how do you get a gritty, stretchy, snappy cable? My mech stuff works fine after many years of zero maintenance.

theocb
    Free Member

Speshpaul – Member

Took me a while to workout what you did wrong there

I’m still struggling to see what he did wrong 😳

The moment I saw the thread title I knew I would be right at home here 8)

aracer
    Free Member

What number would he write on the 26″ tubes?

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’m still struggling to see what he did wrong

Imagine he approaches his box of tubes from the wrong direction.

theocb
    Free Member

😆 😳 I didn’t realise he had alzheimers too, he marked the 29ers with yellow crayon..

scaredypants

In which case how do you get a gritty, stretchy, snappy cable? My mech stuff works fine after many years of zero maintenance.

Ah, paved with gold is restricted only to certain postcodes round here; we have grit, rain, even road-glue round my way

You’ve really not adjusted cable tension, nor cleaned / replaced any gear cabling in many years ?

aracer
    Free Member

Nope

muggomagic

theocb – Member
    I didn’t realise he had alzheimers too, he marked the 29ers with yellow crayon..

Indeed. Plus my handwritten 9s look nothing like a 6 when upside down, more like a b.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Only an idiot’ is closed to new replies.