Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Only a few days to go – Roll call for Bontrager TwentyFour12
  • Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

So, who's going then? I'll be down about 7p.m. on Friday.

I'm doing the solo24 for St. Luke's Hospice. Wanna sponsor me? http://www.justgiving.com/richardcoleman-taylor

(thanks to everyone who's been kind enough to chuck me some dough).

foxyrider
    Free Member

Me, and three mates – we'll be down on Sat as we live nearby and livin' it up on Friday night.

spooky_b329

Not going 🙁

I'm on call and the guy who was covering me has just taken voluntary redundancy 🙁

(so, I've two solo places to sell, one male, one female…pm me if interested)

phildowling
    Free Member

Solo 24 for me.

Be down on Thursday mid day ish.

Riding a Gary Fisher Procliaber and wearing my shop shirt and pink/gay Oakley Radars (Ride-bikes.com). Say hi if you see me!

phildowling
    Free Member

Friday even! /\/\ Works van as well so will be showing my cause!

sharki
    Free Member

Plan to be there at some point, mostly heckling and taking pics but no doubt i will end up doing a handful of laps to keep mates company.

TomHill
    Free Member

Whoop. *Raises hand*. My first 24 and I'm doing it solo. Will be down from Thursday evening – long drive from Leeds, fancied a day recovering from that before thinking about riding a bike.

Pop over and say hi if you see me… white VW transporter with some ropey stickers on, a white gazebo, blue Giant NRS and black Cannondale propped up near by.

Tom

julianwilson
    Free Member

I too will be reprazentin' the joy of NRS with my retro 'team' version. And a selection of loud jerseys and a not so loud Trail Snail Racing team one. Hoping to camp by the long straight flat bit on the edge of the main field so I can heckle sponging-machine on his solo 24 and pass him bottles of what he *thinks* will be energy drink.

showerman
    Free Member

im the pit bitch for the weekend unless someone in the group bails out.

TomHill
    Free Member

Loud jerseys you say? I'll be rocking a classic Mint Sauce number, alongside a few other vomit inducing beauties.

Crossing fingers for a good slot at the side of the track too. Got a dedictated team of three helping me out/drinking the beer I've bought them.

stevet
    Free Member

Im going along as a support guy/pit bitch for http://www.sketchymtb.co.uk , 20 riders in 5 teams of 4 are entered up for the 24 hour race ! looking forward to seeing you lot there 😀

As for loud jerseys … not so loud but 20 riders in the same jersey could be quite obvious 😉

Si
    Free Member

Aye will be down supportin. Have to work Sun otherwise would take up a solo place, but if any team needs a few laps doing let me know.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Captain, mrs julian has just bought me the newest mint sauce jersey from thecyclejersey.com. Not enough pink though imo….

tonto
    Free Member

I shall be there, soloing on two bodged 69ers, one fully rigid, one full bounce. I suspect the latter may get more use.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Captain, JulianWilson was sporting the same hideous/eccentric (you choose) Mint Sauce jersey on Saturday. Just wait 'til you see the Kraftwerk number he reserves for racing duties (it's the matching red bibshorts that finish it off really).

I was berated for my sleeveless 'YMCA' jersey last year, until everyone realised that they're actually a good idea on the hottest day of the year. Doesn't look like it'll get much of an airing this year though.

YoGrant
    Free Member

I'll be there. team Singular cycles, 12 pairs singlespeed for me and Deano. Podium finish would be nice ;0)

stumpy01

I'll be there with 3 others….I'll be arriving mid-afternoon on Friday with one of them & the other 2 are driving down on Thurs night in a fluo green Fujifilm VW Touran.
    Come & say hello!!

I'll be mincing round on the ol' faithful red/black Stumpy FSR.

phildowling
    Free Member

The weathers is actually looking ok for the weekend at the mo 🙂 May end up on the Singlespeed got physio check up this and may get the all clear to SS again 😛

TomHill
    Free Member

I am but still a learner in the "wash your eyes in bleach" jersey stakes.

Thinking about using the singlespeed for some, if not all the 24hrs. I'm usually a 32/16 kinda man, and don't mind hauling my way up Yorkshire's finest using it. But… that tends to be for 4 hours at the most… maybe I should pop a slightly easier cog on the back? Or just accept I'm not the man I want to be and spin a long on the bouncy bike.

themolland
    Free Member

I had to pull out, my bike got nicked…again 🙁

phildowling
    Free Member

mmmm i SS everything normally but blew my calf up after the Marathon champs and Bike fest.

Theres a few tough SS climbs there (namely the road) which you'd have to push.
    I'll stick with the 16T on mine.

1st 24? I'd bounce…

TomHill
    Free Member

Thanks for the dose of reality Phil! Plenty of other opportunities for heroics. "GEt round" will be the order of the day.

If anyone wants to pop over and say "Hi", I'll have the same van/gazebo/tent combo as here:

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

TheMolland, give certini/specialized concept in Saltash a ring. They normally have a few demo models of decent bikes knocking around. I had my bike nicked just before my stag-do to Afan, and they said they'd be happy to loan me one. As a shop local to Plymouth, I'm sure they'd be happy to help if they can.

TomHill
    Free Member

TheMolland – maybe see if you can get a number for one of the co's offering test bikes on the Friday? Some might be sticking round for the weekend and be able to offer you something?

topangarider
    Free Member

Yup (hand in here too) – first 24hr race – in a team of four.

I'll be the one with their belly trying to squeeze out of a white/union jack Impsport jersey cos I've not lost that weight I said I would.

carlphillips
    Free Member

i'll be there too, trail snail racing.

i'll be alongside julian wilson pi$$ing/rimming/applying bum vinegar into sponging machines water bottles and hoping he'll be too tired to thump me when he gets in from the lap…

its not going to be too nice even if it dries up, mud tires a go me thinks!!

grievoustim
    Free Member

I'll be there doing the 12 hour solo again on a custard soul with White magura forks.

Sam

12 hour pairs – me and Steve the Ringer for Team Singular. The bit I'm looking forward to least is the drive home…

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Aren't my friends simply smashing!

0091paddy
    Free Member

Im there for the 12hour, whats the course like? Heard it's pretty awesome.

Ciao

Ti29er
    Free Member

24hrs Pairs for a pal and I.
    We're "Team Heather Mills swims in circles."
    Friday tea time – Monday mid morning, large blue tent + one other.
    I'll be on the Ti29er, so say "Hi" as I come past ;0
    Just looking to last the distance, truth be known.
    Tim

phildowling
    Free Member

I hate myself for this…but…..what tyres are people going for??

I'm running tubeless at the mo and don't know if i can be arsed to change them over as mine are a right faff to get on off!.

Ti29er
    Free Member

Not decided until I see the condition of the course.
    I'm bringing mud tyres for the 2x bikes and RRalfs if it's not horribly muddy.

ps – I always wear black bib shorts and black HH long-sleeved tops with a black lid. Both bikes are Ti / sliver

thomthumb
    Free Member

i'm doing it. solo 24. my first.

started the year with good intentions for some training, but the last few weeks I have mostly been drinking and playing boggle. my bikes a state and i'm fat.

looking forward to it though. 🙂

phildowling
    Free Member

Think i'm going fast rollers on the sus and mud on the SS cover both options!

njee20
    Free Member

Torchbearer Solo, rock on!

Got Rocket Rons on the bike at the moment, taking Furious Freds, Ralphs, Nics, 1.5" Black Shark Muds and Mud Xs to cover all eventualities!

Sam

Dugast Rhino XL 😀

Ti29er
    Free Member

So, is it harder as an "average" rider, to do a 24hr race as a solo rider or one of two riders racing as a pairs team?

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

As far as tyres go, all the lads I ride with in Plymouth really rate Bontrager mud-x for wet stuff. The mud down that way doesn't get too sticky, although 1000 riders over the same bit of dirt for 24hours may change this.

If it dries out, I'll be running Maxxis Crossmarks, stays damp and I'll be sticking to the Kenda nevegals I've got on at the minute. If it gets nasty, might think about a proper mud tyre.

All the climbs from last year were on pretty solid ground, so it's only for the descents that you'll need super-grip.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

just had a look at two weather forecasts that are saying sunny all day Saturday and Sunday. It pissed down 'til mid-morning Friday last year and was lovely and dry by the start of the race. Maybe we'll see a repeat this year.

I've never ridden a race that didn't have good weather. Maybe my anti-jinx will continue.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Only a few days to go – Roll call for Bontrager TwentyFour12’ is closed to new replies.