Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Only 50 MTB members of the Hurtwood
  • winterfold
    Free Member

If you ride up there more than a few times a year pls join or make a modest donation to the Trust.

I believe various parties have been having adult conversations. The current Ranger is a good bloke so pls contribute to the fund that pays him.

(At the same time here’s to the trailbuilding skills of er the painted man.)

Anyway pls join 50 riders is a fraction of the riders I saw up there on Saturday all having a great time in about as natural an environment as you are going to get that quality of singletrack.

brakes
    Free Member

have you got details of how to join?

brooess
    Free Member
    winterfold
    Free Member

Doh forgot linky thanks brooess

winterfold
    Free Member

bump

(not great bumping your own post I know but didnt post it at a busy time and it is important)

dseenya
    Free Member

Just did this, been meaning to join/donate for a while.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Now I like Hurtwood and I like Surrey Hills, but who’s best?

winterfold
    Free Member

i hope I’m not being patronising here but Hurtwood is part of the Surrey Hills – Holmbury, Pitch and bits of Winterfold.

If you only rode Leith, Redlands, Ranmore Common then it would not be something you need to contribute to.

double thumbs up dyseena and brakes (hopefully)

Like I alluded to earlier adult conversations are taking place and if more of us are members it makes our case stronger and we look like less of a bunch of freeloaders and vandals.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

how do you know theres only 50 members who are mountain bikers?

I know at least 10 people who are members that go mountain biking.

Incidentally, when i signed up the structure of the form wasn’t that great. In particular the bit where you tick mountain biking was actually below some kind of continue/payment button (i forget as i signed up a while ago).

winterfold
    Free Member

because someone I know and trust was told by the Ranger?

I can ring him up and confirm it if you want.

geetee1972
    Free Member

How much do you have to pay to get involved in the ‘adult conversations’? 😀

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I can ring him up and confirm it if you want.

sorry, wasn’t trying to be offensive! Just wondering if the way they check whether a member is a mountain biker isn’t very accurate? i very nearly missed the tick box when signing up.

winterfold
    Free Member

no offence taken – its an unsubstantiated claim

geetee – nothing extra but have a look around and they are bearing fruit – hurts mainly 😉

geetee1972
    Free Member

geetee – nothing extra but have a look around and they are bearing fruit – hurts mainly

OK i really don’t get that!

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Thanks for this

Joined.

Didn’t help that East Sussex was not a county option… grrrr…

Duc
    Free Member

Joined too.
    They might have a little surprise at the locations of the mtb fraternity I guess

winterfold
    Free Member

Thx to everyone else who has joined. If more riders join the Trust it can only be good for us:)

t_i_m
    Free Member

And another one

winterfold
    Free Member

Thx tim

geetee I mailed you via the email on your membership

deadkenny
    Free Member

I’m surprised, though I do wonder if there’s enough information on members to show who’s an MTBer.

I’m a member, though I’ve had trouble with the site. Couldn’t log on to my account for some time, and got it reset. Payment site to renew this year had problems when it redirected to the payment part. Set up direct debit this year, but nothing shows up on my account for My Contributions.

Also, I ticked MTB in my profile, but looked just now and it’s not ticked.

I do encourage others to join and I know a couple have.

mtb_nick
    Free Member

was anyone here at the meeting last night?

there’s some very strong anti mountain bike views, really ridiculous comments.

One side of me thinks there needs better mtb representation, and on the other side I’m wondering if it’s a lost cause….

Certainly at the moment bikers are under represented

allthepies
    Free Member

really ridiculous comments.

Anything on the lines of “won’t someone please think of the children” ? I bet there was 🙂

winterfold
    Free Member

mtb_nick

I couldnt attend the meeting but a guy has been in touch about resurrecting the trail build volunteers. After seeing a few posts on here and a moan I had at Muddy Moles (sorry Moles 🙂 )

This was a few weeks ago – at the time I asked if MTBers needed more representation on the committee etc but he said it wasnt needed these days.

It would be interesting to hear a bit more about it if you’ve got the time to share. i guess minutes will go out at some point.

(There seem to be a number of different groups whose views we need to accomodate rather than a homogenous mass of non-MTB Hurtwoodists.

Daytoday hurtwood peeps eg the Ranger – pretty cool, things would be a lot better for us if it was just down to the Ranger so be nice to him
    Hurtwood management – seem pretty reasonable but have to balance our needs against the rest of the users
    Hurtwood member moaners
    Non-MTB Hurtwood members who are cool with MTB
    Resident moaners who arent members, who are pissed off with the MTB invasion and moan at Hurtwood as they are an official looking thing that can be moaned at.

Of these groups the latter seem to be the ones who cause the most aggro about us and therefore headaches for Ranger and Hurtwood Mgt.

Since I did this post I have found out only 5% of local residents are members – I bet more than 5% of them use the woods.)

winterfold
    Free Member

PS I keep meaning to ask about the ‘Do we know if all MTBers have ticked the MTB box?’ issue

glenp
    Free Member

geetee – nothing extra but have a look around and they are bearing fruit – hurts mainly

OK i really don’t get that! The Hurtwood is so named for the hurts. That’s the local name for the bilberrys, which are characteristic of Pitch, Holmbury, Abinger Common woods. The prevalence of this heathland plant in woodland here is unusual, and evidence of the more open less wooded character of the hills in previous times.

As or the OP – get in there, please do. As always there is misunderstanding and conflict and it can only help if we get on the inside and be known as normal people that care about the countryside.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Only 50 MTB members of the Hurtwood’ is closed to new replies.