Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Only 19 more working days before I retire and then I'm going to………
  • keefus
    Free Member

……..plan a trip to that there Scottishland to attack(?) some trails. Glentress first?

piemonster
    keefus
    Free Member

Well done piemonster. I’ll give you that one but I’m not ready for those kind of adventures

paulosoxo
    Free Member

You’ve never seen Leathel Weapon, have you.

Drac

A very recently retired friend is travelling through Wales on his bike at the moment, he’s wild camping some nights and digs others. He’s having a great time and seemed to picked the best of the weather.

mactheknife

GT is fine, will you be doing trail centre stuff all the time.

If you want to do more natural rides as well go onto MTBTrails

Its an amazing resource and you can print off the route maps or as a GPX file for your GPS.

Torridon is a must. 🙂

scaredypants

to attack(?) some trails

I believe one “smashes” trails these days, old chap

and, more appropriately than ever, get out there and shred the gran ! 😉

Mantastic
    Free Member

Saga holidays do biking?

br
    Free Member

There’s far more to MTBing in the Borders than just the ‘authorised’ trails at GT. You’ll need at least a month in the Tweed Valley 🙂

keefus
    Free Member

I will look at all your suggestions seriously in the coming days but got to shoot off now to work. Cheers guys.

epicyclo

Forget trail centres. Get into the mountains.

Search druidh’s or ScotRoutes threads on here for a good sample.

Or simply get into the Highlands, buy a few OS maps and follow any interesting lines – don’t forget you can go anywhere without hassle other than the exercise of good manners.

samuri
    Free Member

Good work fellah. That’s one of my plans too. As soon as I turn 89 and am allowed to retire, I’ll be off like a shot for a good month or two just riding about the place.

Trekster

keefus – Member
    ……..plan a trip to that there Scottishland to attack(?) some trails. Glentress first?

POSTED 5 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Got 3yrs to go, have caravan will travel 😆

Been mountain biking for over 20yrs but still got lots of places I would like to go including up north, Pitlochry being the farthest north I have been.

As my body disintegrates the idea of a touring bike is looking a distinct possibility. Just something else I have never done.

If you venture over to Dumfries and Galloway give me a shout 💡

scotroutes

Beware tomorrow!

I retired 4 years ago (well, I had another wee part-time job for a couple of years too). I know I shouldn’t complain but one of the issues I’ve had is always putting off going out riding/walking/paddling. When you only have the weekends available you’ll tend to go regardless of the conditions. When you know you have lots of free time it’s too easy just to put it off until “tomorrow” when things aren’t absolutely perfect.

One way I’ve found of breaking that cycle is to go on longer trips – especially ones that require some pre-booking like B&B or train.

FWIW, I’ve lived in Scotland for the best part of my 54 years and the list of places here that I still want to ride/walk/paddle is getting longer, not shorter.

Trimix
    Free Member

Please do not post up here telling us you retired, 4 years ago and are 54.

Some of us poor sods will have to work so long to retire we wont be fit enough to remember mountain biking, let alone ride one 🙂

scotroutes

😳

Would it make you feel any better if I told you that I used to work for a bank?

bigbadbob
    Free Member

GT is great, we met a chap last year who was 72, and he was bombing round GT – at a steady pace.
    Come up here and enjoy yourself, there is some beautiful countryside to look at too whilst you are riding round.

easygirl

79 working days for me and they are going down quicker than I thought
    Just changed roles and for the first time in a while am loving it

glupton1976
    Free Member

There’s far more to MTBing in the Borders than just the ‘authorised’ trails at GT. You’ll need at least a month in the Tweed Valley

I lived there for three years riding most days and barely even scratched the surface. It’s cheap to live in the Borders.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Only 19 more working days before I retire and then I'm going to………’ is closed to new replies.