Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Online Storage Options
  • yoshimi

I have approx 100GB music, 100GB photos and 100GB documents. My MacBook pro only has a 250GB hard drive so I’m having to use external hard drives.

I’ve looked at Dropbox at about £7.99/month and iCloud drive at £6.99/month.

I’m not really sure what my best option is. Can anyone much more technical than be give a brief dummys overview on what I needd to think about and point me in te right direction.

Thanks

footflaps

Dropbox is really an online auto backup service as you need to have the files on a machine for it to sync them to the cloud, so it’s not easy to use it where the end PC has less space than your Dropbox account.

Having said all that, if you do have the space it’s great, been using it for years.

Sidney
    Free Member

Could you use a wireless network attached hard drive? I’ve put all my music on a western digital 3TB one and I can play all the songs from it through sonos.

prezet
    Free Member

Amazon S3?

Sidney
    Free Member

But now I read your post title I see you want online storage options – ignore previous post!

footflaps

You could use Flickr to store the Photos (think you get 1TB free) and then let Yahoo worry about backups etc for you. They let you store the original high res files and you can download then in bulk if you ever need to.

jon1973
    Free Member

For £7.99 / month Microsoft do Office 365 which gives you 1gb of cloud storage storage, along with MS Office and skype calls. Worth looking at if you were going to pay those sort of prices anyway.

brassneck

If your Mac runs Yosemite, iCloud without question. Dropbox will require a bit of buggering about or scripting to backup to, iCloud will let you sync your photos straight from Photo, store any iDevice backups, sits as a device in the shell (expect Dropbox has something to do that as well though).
    If it doesn’t run Yosemite, the answer is still probably iCloud but it gets a little less obvious.
    I pay £2.99 just to offsite my photos and backup the iThings, think its woreth that as its hassle free.

footflaps

Dropbox will require a bit of buggering about or scripting to backup to, iCloud will let you sync your photos straight from Photo

Dropbox does all that as standard. You can set it to back up any folders and it offers to back up all photos whenever you plug a camera or phone in.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Online Storage Options’ is closed to new replies.