Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Online retailers where they insist potential customers login- why?
  • convert

Why? I got an ad for Monoqi (a designer furniture and ‘stuff’ retailer) up there ^

Looked interesting and I’m probably who they are appealing to, but one click got me to a sign in page. Log in through Facebook or manually but you are not going any further until you do…..so I didn’t. What’s with this business model, I’m seeing it more and more and generally go no further unless I’m really motivated. I just can’t be bothered and deeply mistrust them not spamming me to death despite any check boxes I might click to the contrary along the way. I can sort of understand the Sports Pursuit reason (something about selling goods below a price the producing companies are happy to see filling Google searches and upsetting their normal retailers) but I can’t be the only potential customer put off.

MSP

Yep I am the same, never signed onto a site like that sportpursuit is the same.

I also have to be extremely motivated by a particular bargain if I have to sign up before they display delivery costs, usually they lose my custom.

bearnecessities

I have an email account I use for online shopping, or even just perusing, such as you mention; used since 2005.

I don’t do a lot of on-line shopping.

It currently has 11k unread emails.

I think that may have something to do with it.

seavers
    Free Member

I think that may have something to do with it.

Thats exactly it! Everythime I shop online, even with an company that does not insist you sign up I get an email barage and have to unsubscribe.

These places are far from exclusive but for them its a great way to get lots of info without folk buying anything.

scaredypants

I have a disposable email address too but often I still don’t bother registering

tetchypete
    Free Member

I hate it when they won’t tell you the delivery cost until you register. Most of the time I look elsewhere.

andyrm
    Free Member

Because its a private shopping club with some pretty heavy discounts on designer items.

The designer brands are fiercely protective so won’t work with an online seller like this if they think their brand will be openly discounted, as it will likely damage brand value due to perception as a “discount brand”.

So the way to get round it is a registration wall. Although it has stopped you, it doesn’t stop a large volume of their target market who like to feel part of a select group.

Worked in that sector for 3 years so know all about it from retail to brand to consumer behaviours and which HSS most influence.

alanl
    Free Member

But that doesnt explain why smaller sites do it.
    I wanted the new(ish) Lone Lady CD. Very limited distribution at release, so tried the record company, where you need to register before buying.
    I emailed them saying I wasnt going to register for anything, so if they gave a Paypal address, would they send it once I’d paid.
    No was the reply, just register and pay that way.
    So I went elsewhere.
    Ok, they lost, what, £1 or so (the Record Co. price was the same as the Sellers price), but why even lose a £1?
    Plenty of sites offer a ‘Buy as Guest’ option, it must be easy enough to do, but they want your money, and your details for marketing later.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

The bigger sites do it so they don’t have to openly publish prices below RRP and upset their suppliers. I guess it also means they don’t have to carry a full range of sizes etc. I guess once you’ve gone to the bother of logging in to a site you’re more likely to buy something even if it isn’t the item that drew you in

I guess a smaller store would do it in order to gently and constructively spam you – plus it probably makes their paying and shipping process easier and cheaper to run.

Cougar

Because its a private shopping club with some pretty heavy discounts on designer items.

Because they want you to think that, more like.

I’ll bet dollars to donuts the primary reason is as an email harvesting exercise. Collecting contact details of everyone who walks into your shop even just to browse? That’s gold.

I vote with my feet these days on websites that employ these dirty tricks. A site interrupts my browsing with a pop-up asking me to take a survey, join a mailing list or live chat with an “advisor,” I usually just close the page and go somewhere else. “Why not tell us what you think of our website?!” – because you haven’t given me a chance to look at it yet, you bastards.

khani
    Free Member

Places that offer a free sample but want your bank details and want you to set up a DD before they’ll send it out..
    How about send it first and if it’s any good I’ll come back and buy some.
    Yes Pact coffee I’m looking at you…. 😐

D0NK

Are you dissing STW’s advertisers cougar?
    Banhammer?
    😉

convert

Yes Pact coffee I’m looking at you….

Yes, Pact Coffee got a finger up their bum and told to smell it (see Hora’s post for reference!) when I got to that stage too. I spend a lot(too much) on coffee online and Pact are not now going to get a penny of it. It could have been beautiful relationship.

I’ve just set up a new email address called spamthisyouf***ers@convertsemail.eu.com which I’m going to use if I ever want to use this type of website again.

Cougar

Are you dissing STW’s advertisers cougar?

No, just their websites.

footflaps

Banhammer?

Burn the witch!

irc

The bigger sites do it so they don’t have to openly publish prices below RRP and upset their suppliers.

So their suppliers can’t work out how to register and check selling prices?

brooess
    Free Member

I didn’t know what AndyRM has said but it sounds right to me.

Data is a major asset these days to help retailers run a sound business so some companies will want to capture your details a) so they can recontact you with future offers b) get a better understanding of their own customer base and who their best customers are..

Think about how Amazon makes recommendations to you…

Back in the day, your local greengrocer did this themselves ‘Good morning MR Brooess, will you be having your usual today?’ etc but with ecommerce it has to be automated.

Other retailers recognise that forcing you to log in loses the sale and they’ll give you a login-free route to purchase…

Basically, like most business, sometimes it’s done well, sometimes not… capturing data to give you better service is good. Capturing data to spam you is stupid.

onehundredthidiot

Even worse with pact. They promise that once you’re out then although they’re sorry to see you go that’s it. Really wtf are you still sending me info about stuff. Even after the unsubscribe.

andyrm
    Free Member

So their suppliers can’t work out how to register and check selling prices?

Yes they can – but it’s about them refusing to work with a retailer that devalues their brand by outwardly advertising their product at discounted rate on the open market, as that will prejudice bulk sales to other retailers.

Because they want you to think that, more like.

I’ll bet dollars to donuts the primary reason is as an email harvesting exercise. Collecting contact details of everyone who walks into your shop even just to browse? That’s gold.

The “vanity pitch” to customers of being in a “private” club is massive as a consumer draw, but the primary behind it is brands refusing to work on open market discounts. Trust me, I ran a freestanding operation in this marketplace for a multinational. A brand might not be able to price fix in law, but they can choose to not supply you if they don’t want you to openly advertise the reduced prices.

Customer attrition in this market sector is huge, very, very slim returning/loyalty as all are price focused. Harvesting value is negligible.

brooess
    Free Member

A brand might not be able to price fix in law, but they can choose to not supply you if they don’t want you to openly advertise the reduced prices.

Notice how hard it is to find Specialized shoes at any kind of discount online? Whereas you’ll easily find Northwave, Sidi and others at big discounts

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Online retailers where they insist potential customers login- why?’ is closed to new replies.