• This topic has 14 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Ewan.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Online divorce – anyone used it?
  • muzz
    Free Member

Been separated for 4 years, both agree on divorce, one kid under 16 (only one we have together) and I am confident me and the ex will be commited to a ‘smooth’ (r.e. relatively cheap) divorce….

Anyone used an online divorce service? – basic package costs 69quid!

robgclarkson
    Free Member

yes, me… quickie-divorce.co.uk was really as easy as it suggests (plus about £1.5k cheaper than the divorce solicitors i went to see quoted me)… a willingness to co-operate with you and your ex is essential i would suggest, but you probably already know that

this was about 9 years ago though… things may have changed now

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I didn’t use an online service but use use of wikivorce,a local solicitor for the financial consent order and filing of the petition by me kept ccoststo a minimum.
    Mine was a similar situation to yours,where we had been separated and living apart for more than 2 years and we had already sorted our finances ourselves.All in mine cost £600.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    lowey

If its just the divorce then its a doddle to do yourself.

You only need a solicitor for the consent order.

greedo
    Free Member

As a recently divorced and now penniless bloke, I cannot stress enough just how bad an idea it is to get solicitors involved. I so wish we’d gone with the online route that you’re looking at. Basically, we started the process with an amicable deal consisting of me giving away everything and walking away with nothing but the debts. Then the solicitors got involved and I ended up still walking away with nothing but debts, but now including a ten thousand pound solicitor bill and 12 months of trauma and depression. Solicitors profit from conflict in a divorce… avoid at all costs!

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

A friend of mine has paid 40k and still has no agreement on his consent order.

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

Read through this

Govt divorce website

several times. Then do what it says. Only costs the court fees…

muzz
    Free Member

thanks for the replies

keep them coming, particular if you have gone down the online route

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Worth posting this question on the wikivorce forum.

grievoustim
    Free Member

As mentioned above

Wikivorce/ govt website. – follow the steps

Hire a solicitor to draw up the consent order (I got one via wikivorce)

It takes way longer than you might think – and can be a ballache – but definatelty worth it of you can come to an agreement and avoid having a solicitor each

Ewan
    Free Member

When you do it via wikivorce does one of you ‘hire’ the solicitor to do the consent order or can you jointly instruct them?

muzz
    Free Member

A separation agreement has already been done by her lawyer as she was on legal aid

do I still need a lawyer to draft the initial court papers up?

grievoustim
    Free Member

Ewan – you only need one lawyer, don’t remember if it was in one name or join names but as long as you have both agreed to the settlement it doesn’t matter

Muzz – we also had a separation agreement, and used it as the basis for the consent order. But you still need to get a solicitor to draw you one up as it’s a different document

You don’t actually have to get a consent order to get divorced – but if you don’t you are open to future money hassles

br
    Free Member

you only need one lawyer, don’t remember if it was in one name or join names but as long as you have both agreed to the settlement it doesn’t matter

This.

Me and my ex did this about 20 years, 2 kids but we agreed beforehand everything and worked so far.

Ewan
    Free Member

Cheers guys

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Online divorce – anyone used it?’ is closed to new replies.