• This topic has 12 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Online credit card payments (fascinating question!)
  • DezB
    Free Member

When you make a CC payment on a Friday or Saturday, why doesn’t it show up until the Monday (or even Tuesday)?

Transferring from other accounts is immediate these days.

Do they power down the computers for credit cards over the weekend or something?

peterfile
    Free Member

Transferring from other accounts using Faster Payments is immediate these days

FTFY

wwaswas

Often card authorisation is done via a third party.

They will tend to ‘reserve’ funds immediately with the CC provider but not ‘collect’ the money until an overnight batch process is run some time later.

Have a look at http://www.ukpayments.org.uk/ and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_Payments_Administration if you want to find out all the detail.

I remember when APACS 40 first came along and retailers didn’t have to do a two pass process themselves. My how us programmers rejoiced.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

A bit OT – but it seems worth mentioning – in a decent hardware store last week, their line or server was down and they ran my card through one of those print roller thingies and had me sign the flimsy.

I didn’t know they still existed.

D0NK

at my bank CC department seems to be an entirely different business so whatever payment you chose, in branch, telephone, internet whatever, it’ll take a few days to go through. If you’re normally prompt and you get a penalty due to the 3 day thing ring em up and complain, I’ve had a few refunded over the years.

DezB
    Free Member

CC is Lloyds, bank transfer coming from Lloyds. 4 days?? Bloody ridiculous. I paid it in time, but it just seems weird that it can’t show over a weekend when it’s all compooterz doing the work.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“CC is Lloyds branded”

hope that helps.

D0NK

Like I said give em a call – if you normally pay on time. If you’re always late but this time it’s their fault it’s probably not worth the call 🙂

surprised me first time it happened, I knew it was getting close to payment date so went in branch and paid cash – still not good enough.

jon1973
    Free Member

Do they power down the computers for credit cards over the weekend or something?

I worked for a credit card issuer and the overnight batch only ran Mon-Fri – never at the weekends or on Bank Hols. Weekend callout was always money for old rope 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

“CC is Lloyds branded”

hope that helps

It’s irrelevant – I can pay from a different bank quicker!

totalshell

how do they get away with the ‘interest charges’ pay bill in full each month but due to been a bit of a slack alice ( apologies to any alices roaming these pages) its sometimes a couple of days late ( 2 or three max..) the statement last month said blah blah interest would be 163 actually come bill time it was 204 time and again this happens i ve even bee charged interest in subsequent months when i ve paid on time as they told me that it rolls over sometimes.. come on..

trail_rat
    Free Member

“It’s irrelevant – I can pay from a different bank quicker!”

pay your credit card ? really ?

its the CC system – none of the CCs ive ever used have processed payments at the weekend.

transfer money from bank to bank is no issue – try and put it via my visa or mastercards – doesnt do it till monday. infact sometimes i find if i do it on monday morning it goes through quicker than if i do it at the weekend – it doesnt reg till tuesday sometimes.

what annoys me is – regardless of when it goes into the CC – it ALWAYS comes out your bank account instantly.

DezB
    Free Member

What’s funny is that they can have the payment due date (or “statement date”) as a Saturday or Sunday!
    I argued this point with one card provider who tried to charge me a late payment fee – How can the “due date” be a Saturday when I can’t pay on the Saturday – The due date is the Friday!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Online credit card payments (fascinating question!)’ is closed to new replies.