Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Online bike build anyone?
  • mamadirt
    Free Member

BP, I think, did this on the old forum.

Collected my new frame from the lbs earlier (Don Skene Cycles in Cardiff – cheers 😀 ). Family are all fed and watered, papadirt despatched to the pub quiz and well, I won't see my lads again tonight unless the internet crashes 😉 , beer is chilling and we're good to go . . .

First job is to fashion a shim for my seatpost shim from an old milk carton until my new Diabolus post arrives from France (sheesh, how much money have I dropped on these things over the years frame swapping . . . should've kept the one from my old Heckler 🙄 )

si-wilson
    Free Member

looks like you should have fun, building and riding!

What forks are they, new Marz 55's?

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Ooh nice, are they 55s or 66s? I've gone back to 180mm forks on mine now…

slowrider
    Free Member

looks nice mama, whats the spec going to be? i nearly went for a heckler but went for a 5 cos of the maxle.

shinsplints

Cool,like this thread,will check back later after pasta & vegetables are dispatched.

mamadirt
    Free Member

They're 09 55Rs – bought them from Canada for £230 – hoping that the simpler forks won't be plagued with the problems that the ATA versions have had. Love the feel of coil forks but usually have to budget for a softer spring too – as these have air preload they feel pretty much spot on carpet testing with no preload added. I was a bit worried that 160s wouldn't be tall enough (and 180s would have added a lot more to the budget) but a quick test ride on a 180mm Totem equipped Bullit put my mind at rest – it felt quite a bit slacker than my Tazer so fingers crossed even with 160s fitted it won't be chucking me over the bars at the first sign of a descent 😉

Spec is going to be pretty much the same as I had on the old Tazer (fingers crossed the hoses will be long enough. Most of the stuff was transferred across to the lil red 'bred while I amassed a bit of cash – riding with just a front brake for a couple of weeks was interesting but I reckon it's helped me corner faster 😉

slowrider
    Free Member

oh its a bullit not a heckler. wicked!

forge197
    Free Member

I have a pile of bits awaiting a frame.

Enjoy the build will check back later.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Hmmmm, how many spacers can I cram under the stem to preserve a bit of steerer length without looking daft? (gotta think of these things in case I need to upgrade 😉 ). Front hose is plenty long enough anyway – woohoo 🙂

Remember mama – measure twice, cut once 😕

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Mmmmm, nice flange….!

😉

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I've never got on with Skenes, I remember asking if they had any used/ex demo frames only to be told they don't touch them as they are all cracked or damaged in some way…oh ok…

I tried my 36 Van Rs on my Bullit but I found I was bottoming them out a bit too easily, otherwise it felt spot on. Have Totems on it now but I think your setup should work well.

Were the 55s off Nomade by any chance?

I'm waiting on my new Banshee frame for an AM build, it took lees than 48 hours to get from Canada to East Midlands airport now it's been there for 3 days damn it….still need wheels though so not such a biggie.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Loving the technological u-turn from mamadirt.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Were the 55s off Nomade by any chance?

Yes they were – pretty good deal and UPS charged me £23 tax and handling (reckon I'd have paid more if they'd been delivered by Parcelforce).

LOL at cynic-al – hey it's a woman's perogative to change her mind 😉

mamadirt
    Free Member

Job done – spot on :-). Time for a break I reckon . . .

Left the beer in the freezer too long – its frozen! 🙁 . Mmmmm, Budweiser slush-puppy.

shinsplints

Are you having a jam & cheese sandwich ?
    Fancy coming round to cut my steerer ? 😉

Rockplough
    Free Member

Yes they were – pretty good deal

Good looking build. What/where is this 'nomade'?

doug_basqueMTB.com

Nice! We'd all been waiting for ages to see what you'd got. Enjoy building it 🙂

mamadirt
    Free Member

It's cheese and onion relish shinsplints 😛

Nomade are an ebay shop. They were very good with communication and tracking info and the forks only took about a week to arrive.

Rockplough
    Free Member

Interesting, thanks very much. Looking forward to the finished article. 🙂

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Nomade sell on Pinkbike as well, have had some real bargains from them in the past, this is the latest, I paid £505 all in by not going through the bay.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Ooooh, nice Banshee.

Getting there now and looking pretty good – just got a quick leg over 😉 . . . fantastic 😀 . Just have to space the chain device.

Apologies, but as it gets darker the picture quality will be a bit rubbish – my camera is hopeless with flash so I'm going to have to hope for enough light to take pics without.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Cheers, I can't wait to get it. 😀

That looks lubberly, are you going for 135mm/73mm or 150mm/83mm? I had great fun removing cranks and BB repeatedly.

I've got the narrower setup and have got a pretty good chainline using a 1mm spacer on the driveside bb cup and no washers between the lg1 and iscg tabs. Had to file the back edges of the lower plastics too, although that was the lg1 non +, you may be ok.

shinsplints

mmmmmmmmmm women who can build bikes,drink beer & love cheese sandwiches.

shinsplints

mmmmmmmmmm women who can build bikes,drink beer & love cheese sandwiches.

mamadirt
    Free Member

😆

It's a 135mm/73mm set up with a 1mm spacer – all seems to be aligned properly so far. Time to remove those poor white grips now (which aren't looking quite so white after this evening's fettle). Managed to squish a tube of anti-seize all over the floor too which ended up on my lovely white saddle – time to break out the Swarfega.

mamadirt
    Free Member

All done now – love it 8) . Three more days in work then six weeks' holiday – it's gonna be fun – woohoo!!!!

Pretty hitch free, just need to bleed the rear brake as I had to reposition the hose angle in the caliper (it's waaay too short so I'm off to source a length of Fibrax hose now). Time for a celebratory beer too I reckon 😛

G'night!

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

oooh its a looker for sure.

slowrider
    Free Member

nice one mama, bikes like that make me want to stop riding uphill and accept the fact that i would have more fun just riding down. unfortunately i dont have enough leverage over any of my mates to make them uplift bitch!

Olly
    Free Member

Ooooo thats naughty.

want!

mamadirt
    Free Member

Yeah, trust me slowrider, it has certainly made me want to stop riding uphill . . . think I need to eat more protein 😉 . Was an absolute blast coming home from work via the 'scenic route' though 😀

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Online bike build anyone?’ is closed to new replies.