Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Onion in Wonderland??
  • druidh
    Free Member

I thought I’d take a spin along the Water of Leith path today to see what riding conditions were like – although it’s probably changed already given the current temperature.

From the canal all the way to Balerno is now rideable, if hard work. There is a hard-packed path, sometimes only inches wide, which gives bumpy riding. Slip off that and your wheel will sink several inches into soft snow.

Lots of trees down too, including the one below just approaching the bathroom warehouse in Juniper Green.

Just enough space to get underneath, but it looks a bit dodgy. It wouldn’t surprise me if the council just slapped a “closed” notice up in a few places as it’ll likely be some time before they get around to clearing it all.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

What little woodland singletrack there is round the Pents is going to be a no go for a while with the mud that will come about from the thaw and all the branches and trees that are going to be down. A trail clearing session instead of a ride anyone?

druidh
    Free Member

I’m up for some trail clearing. Be handy if we knew someone with a powersaw too.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Great minds:-

203570210 by pixelmix, on Flickr

I took this on my spin up to Balerno and back on Sunday. There are a good number of trees down near Redhall Gardens too.

I know what you mean about the path being inches wide too – needed a bit of concentration! It was only narrowest between Juniper Green and Balerno – much more rideable after the bypass where it is a bit more trampled.

I’m hoping that the current thaw doesn’t lead to polished ice if it re-freezes. The WoL, Ferry Road Path etc or main roads are the most rideable places atm, since the pavements and side roads are lethal.
    [Edit for image fail]

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

With a decent group of us and some folding saws we could shift soem good sized stuff.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have a bowsaw and can borrow a chainsaw ( or even perhaps get the chainsaw owner along) if your subtle hint does not work druidh

Northwind

Webtex hand chainsaws are good… Not as good as a big bow saw but a wee bit easier to fit in your pocket. Got one last year and it’s hard work but it’ll go through some pretty big woodwork, saw a lot of use last year. Keep meaning to get a hand winch, I used a ratchet strap last year but that wasn’t too effective, gave up on it pretty quick.

That big stuff’s best left alone though unless we’ve got anyone who actually knows how to work a tree, hanging trees can be pretty bad news, lots of weight and tension.

bigjim

Made an interesting ride back in teh dark going under those at the weekend. Theres a few down on the union canal too. I’d be wary of doing anything to the big ones like above – there is some serious weight in those – see the railings by the new flats under the bypass flyover to see the damage they can cause! The cooncil arborists will be along eventually.

ojom
    Free Member

I used the road tonight on way home but will head down into the Dell and WOL to see what it’s like in the morning. There is a lot of melting going on just now. It’s actually ‘warm’ out…

Back to shorts i reckon

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Onion in Wonderland??’ is closed to new replies.