Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • OneDrive. VERY slow uploading. Am I doing owt wrong?
  • PolisherMan

First off I tried copy/paste with my photos and music. Each folder took about half n hour. Not sure what went wrong, but when I checked Onedrive on my phone and tablet, all the files were empty.

So not being very computer savvy I rang me Dad (73year old Dad’s know everything!). The advice being to do it through the Onedrive website. “Ah!” I thought that makes more sense.

My 35gb photo folder took about 17 hours….that’s not right surely!!??

46mb download speed, 9.33mb upload speed.

the-muffin-man

My 35gb photo folder took about 17 hours….that’s not right surely!!??

IME – yes it can be!

(My experience is of Flickr, Amazon Photos, Dropbox and GoogleDrive)

I have to say though, Dropbox has always worked a lost faster and more reliably than an other cloud service.

gobuchul
    Free Member

I hate OneDrive. Wait until you start getting sync issues……

wwaswas

9.33Megabit connection is actually only 0.125 Megabyte/sec upload so 35Gb’s going to take some time…

P-Jay
    Free Member

Yeah that should only really take about 2 hours.

OneDrive is one of those things though that can seem to be doing nothing, or even be closed when it’s whirring away – didn’t upload everything twice?

somouk
    Free Member

Yeah, that sounds about right.

This is the issue with cloud services when you initially bulk upload. From then onwards though it should be fine, you can always leave it running overnight as well.

Russell96

Onedrive settings / Network – is it set to ‘Don’t limit’ for upload and download?

sadexpunk

you can always leave it running overnight as well.

i tried that with my drive when i wanted to upload all my music to my free 1Tb of online space. never been able to use it tho as soooo slow and i cant leave it overnight as whenever the screen goes off it just stops and closes down.

Xylene
    Free Member

Try getting it setup across a work network.

Google drive for work fine, my one drive which I also use at home not a chance. e

gobuchul
    Free Member

Change your power settings.

On a Windows laptop, right click on the battery/power symbol on the taskbar, select Power Options, then click on Change Plan Settings.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

I found my first mistake was using onedrive.
    A switch to Googledrive increased upload speed by a factor of at least 4.

Cougar

9.33Megabit connection is actually only 0.125 Megabyte/sec upload so 35Gb’s going to take some time…

This is right – it’s 9 megaBITS per second, not bytes – but the maths is wrong I think.

Divide 9.33 by 8, allow for transmission overheads, that should be ~1MB/sec upload. Times by 3600 seconds gives us 3.6GB/hour, so 35Gb should be about 10 hours give or take, assuming nothing else is being transmitted. I think.

Take your laptop into work and do it (-:

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘OneDrive. VERY slow uploading. Am I doing owt wrong?’ is closed to new replies.