Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • One way system exemptions for pedal cycles?
  • creedy
    Free Member

Just seen a notice from RB Kensington and Chelsea about a proposed exemption of the one way routes around SW3. This means that cyclists will be allowed to go against the flow of traffic. They tend to do this anyway, but making it legal? would this not lead to further near misses?
    If you know you can bolt down a one way legally wouldn’t this make you less wary of on coming traffic?
    I can see the logic but can also see a conflict?

brakes
    Free Member

there will be a period of education and OBVIOUS INYOURFACE signs would be helpful.
    they’re also planning this around the City of London and there are already a few where you can. there tends to be a cycle lane which helps but the biggest problem is that on one-way streets pedestrians only look where they expect traffic to come from which is only one way…. there’s one in particular near Bank which I avoid because otherwise you’re just playing Run the Gauntlet

thomthumb
    Free Member

My understanding is we will see more of this.

The “except cyclists” sign underneath a now entry has only recently been approved.

this means councils don’t need to mark a cycle lane – they can just add the “except cycles” sign to the signpost.

D0NK

They tend to do this anyway, but making it legal? would this not lead to further near misses?

there was a thread about contraflows not long ago, opinion seemed to be be they were freaking scary due to drivers not knowing/accepting that it was a legit contraflow.

There’s some near work all signed up and there are occasionally issues, now is it bad highway planning for **** idiot drivers to blame?

AlasdairMc

You get this in London a lot. There are loads of them, and I think they’re a great idea. Just another little thing to make cycling that bit more attractive.

D0NK

this means councils don’t need to mark a cycle lane – they can just add the “except cycles” sign to the signpost.

that sucks, the ones near work have green paint, arrows and “look right for cyclists” signs and still get problems.

creedy
    Free Member

The thing that worries me, if there is no cycle lane as such ther is no specific access point to the road. So at a junction where cyclists may approach from either side, where are they to enter the one way road. From left stay left, from the right stay right or cross across to get left and visa versa. just throwing initial thoughts out there as not seen them in practice.

creedy
    Free Member

Not just motorised traffic i can see cyclist colliding also.

brooess
    Free Member

Seems to me like they’re designing conflict and collision into the infrastructure … it’s either a one-way street or it isn’t.

I’d rather the money was spent on more Police on the streets making their presence known so people behaved themselves better…

messiah
    Free Member

The roads were very different when Mr Magoo past his driving test… what do all these new road signs mean?

aP
    Free Member

There’s quite a number of these already dotted around London and I haven’t heard of anyone dying on one recently.
    I think it’ll be fine.

shermer75
    Free Member

I prefer lines on the ground and some blue or green paint myself, just to make the whole thing more obvious

bikebouy
    Free Member

Should be de rigure IMO, we do it anyways, it’s a pain being pushed into gutters with the flow when we could quite easily nip through and up a oneway..

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve seen marked out versions of these in a few places. if I recall correctly there’s one or two in Bristol as well
    Properly done they work well

nickjb
    Free Member

Just to put the opposite point of view (this is STW). Too many lines and paint and signs and lights and people start driving light robots completely ignoring their surroundings. I saw someone recently pull away from a set of lights at fairly high speed then screech to a halt as there was an old lady still slowly crossing who didn’t make it while the green man was on. He went for lights are green = go rather than roads are clear = go. Isn’t there a scheme in Holland where they have no markings at all and all traffic has to look out for other road user and peds? Unfortunately there are probably too many idiots on the road who need telling what to do and seem completely unable to think about what they are doing (pedestrians, cyclists and drivers)

shermer75
    Free Member

we do it anyways

Speak for yourself, if you don’t mind

D0NK

Too many lines and paint and signs and lights and people start driving light robots completely ignoring their surroundings

on the previous thread pretty sure someone said they had a motorist drive at them shouting it was one way. Driver obviously hadn’t spotted the signage. The more obvious the better for exceptions like this IMO

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

THe ones i’ve used worked well IMO

theflatboy
    Free Member

Having ridden the ones round the City quite a bit, my main pearl of wisdom is to be prepared for pedestrians not to realise you might be coming from that direction.

crazy-legs

I do it anyway on a 20m stretch of road. Right turn onto what is, coming my way, a one-way exit but it opens out to 2-way 20m further down. No-one has said anything yet, in fact last time I did it, a police car stopped and waved me through the gap. 🙂

Doing that saves me a 1/3rd mile diversion on a busy road so sod what the infrastructure says, it’s safer and more convenient for everyone if I do that. Gets me out the way of all the traffic on the busy main road.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘One way system exemptions for pedal cycles?’ is closed to new replies.