• This topic has 16 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by br.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • One way car hire to an airport
  • keppoch

Going on holiday from Luton airport with two bagged bikes. Don’t have a car suitable so for the journey from Cardiff options are either to take public transport (many changes and not that cheap) or hire a car for each leg.

On way hire cars are not that cheap either it turns out, about £100 each way for something Mondeo sized. I seem to remember getting a one-way hire not so long ago for about £45 but can’t remember who with.

Can anyone recommend a hire company that doesn’t charge quite such a high premium for on-way?

gobuchul
    Free Member

Try one of the comparison sites?

Money supermarket or similar?

keppoch

Most of those comparison sites don’t have an option for one-way hire unfortunately.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    br
    Free Member

Would it have have been cheaper all-in to have flown from Cardiff/Bristol instead?

wombat

Probably best to try hire firms that have a desk at the airport.

Would a van be suitable? Might be cheaper (perhaps)?

keppoch

No not cheaper to fly to Bristol/Cardiff.

Will look at the airport website for the airport based companies.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Most of those comparison sites don’t have an option for one-way hire unfortunately

This one does.

http://www.rentalcars.com/

Showing £47 for one way hire Cardiff to Luton.

andygreener

Have you checked out any local shuttle services? If you factor in fuel costs it may work out cheaper and less faff

keppoch

What do you mean by a local shuttle service please? Another plane or some sort of car related thing?

tiggs121
    Free Member

Give a mate £50 to drive you?

I’d do it but I’m in Scotland!

andygreener

Someone that offers airport transfers from Cardiff. No idea of cost but some companies do it out of airports. Might be worth checking.

keppoch

Ah I see. Unfortunately Cardiff is not sufficiently popular to mean those sort of services exist. Looks like all hire cars are £100+ per leg as the ones gobuchol refers to all exclude a one-way charge it turns out.

Think it is looking like public transport is the best way.

el_creedo
    Free Member

Don’t use Rentalcars.com!
    I had the exact same need a few months ago, got all excited when I got a quote from them for £25 for a focus from Heathrow to Exeter until I saw their small print with said there would be a £50 ish surcharge levied by the hire company direct when I picked the car up.
    Worst still, I’d made the booking by then, and when i cancelled – they did not refund me despite me using their online cancellation facility. They now claim they never had a cancellation request – so they are £25 of my hard-earned better off for doing SFA!
    I’d just call the local office of one of the big hire companies direct and see if they can sort anything for you. I’ve used Enterprise a lot and have almost always been pleased.
    Good luck! hope you get sorted!

keppoch

Thanks el_creedo, I was suspicious about why the price quoted was so much less and they explained that there would be another £50 on top of that so dodged that one.

poolman
    Free Member

bla bla car may have something – but the 2 bikes may make it difficult

cp

How long are you away for? Any deals on just hiring a car for the entire duration and bunging it in a car park?

Are you sure you can’t use the car you have? Have you tried packing it? It was amazing what we got in a panda in Italy.

br
    Free Member

Give a mate £50 to drive you?

At around trip of 330 (ish) miles, that’ll barely cover the fuel/bridge/drop-off fees.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘One way car hire to an airport’ is closed to new replies.