Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • One UP and XT M8000 – 11-40t or 11-42t?
  • Matt24k
    Free Member

Despite the fact that M8000 XT cassettes are harder to buy than a real live Unicorn I am looking to upgrade form 9 to 11 speed.
    According to their web site The One Up 45t range expander is for the 11-40t version of the M8000. Is there any reason why it won’t work with the 11-42t or am I better pre ordering the 11-40t as it is slightly cheaper and possibly easier to get hold of. Easier is a relative term in this instance.
    More evenly spaced of ratios from 11 to 45 is what I am after.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

I can’t imagine any of the M8000 cassettes are going to be easy to get hold of as they haven’t released them yet?

tailsmtb
    Free Member

I recently went through this and phoned a shop advertising m8000 parts. The guy on the phone said it could likely be October! before you can buy all the individual parts.
    Ordered 10speed and superstar xpander instead.

frood
    Free Member

also a 42T 10 speed sprocket will be spaced differently and a different thickness to an 11 speed, so might cause shifting issues/problem fitting the cassette to the freehub and the chain may not fit between the smallest sprocket and the frame if the clearances are tight

Onzadog
    Free Member

11-40. If you get the 11-42, the cog befoe it is 37. So 37,42,45 is just weird.

100mphplus
    Free Member

bike24.de has the XT 11sp M8000 mechs, shifters and cranks in stock and cheaper than UK with exchange rate. However they have NO cassettes and they don’t know when they will be in stock either – D’Oh!

Matt24k
    Free Member

Thanks for the info about euro availability. XTR cassettes are available but are more than double the price.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

M8000 and a 45t expander cog? Will that not be heavier than the sun?

[edit]512g!

I’m unfit and “harder to kidnap” and even I can suffer up most hills in 32-36 on a fat bike, I can see the appeal of a higher gear as it will spin out on the road (downhill with a tailwind), but it’s not a road bike, I don’t think I’ve even used the 11t off road.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘One UP and XT M8000 – 11-40t or 11-42t?’ is closed to new replies.