Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • One set of components – two frames. What HT frame for 160mm forks?
  • tmb467
    Free Member

Currently have a FS but cant justify having two bikes at the minute

I am happy to spec up a hardtail to enable me to switch kit around (i’ll eventually build up to two bikes as I pick up enough kit) so would like to know which HT frame I can stick a set of 160mm forks on

I know there’s another thread on this further down and I’ve had a read of it – so are my choices really limited to a Slackline or a BFe?

mamadirt
    Free Member

Swap out your forks for travel adjust and you’ll open up your options no end. I run u-turn Lyriks and have swapped between a 9 speed Blood and little Cove Sanchez singlespeed pretty successfully. Both about to be replaced now though – there’s only so much swapping back and forth you can do before before you start looking for the ultimate do-it-all ride 😉

milko9000
    Free Member

Doesn’t the 456 go up to 160mm? The Production Privee Shan ‘n all.

chakaping
    Free Member

NS Surge can handle it, though like the Bfe it’s better a little bit shorter IMO.

I happen to have one to sell, email in profile if interested (sorry for spam otherwise!)

messiah
    Free Member

Ragley Bagger or Troof work with a 160mm fork… shame the Bagger is really heavy and Troof’s have a habit of breaking (IMHE). Also; hardtails with big forks like that tend to be very singleminded in what use they like… not good as all rounders IMHE again.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I run a Trek Remedy and a BFe, both on uturn coil Lyriks. Both are a treat to ride.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

My 456 summer season has been a hoot with 160mm 55s on!

tmb467
    Free Member

Cheers chakaping. Not ready to pull the trigger on buying one just yet but I’ve had a look and the frame looks good, thanks

To be fair – the kind of riding I like / suits my style is the same whether its a ht or fs. Just know there are sometimes when a fs is a bit of overkill. I’m getting fit enough to ride a 34lb enduro anywhere – natural trails / trail centres / alps / local pootles / commuting and I can’t really satisfy the n+1 urge yet, but thought I could mebbe justify a ton and a half on a HT frame or a dropper post. Might get more fun out of the ht with the same components I have now than blow it all on a dropper post!!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I quite fancy a Production Priveé.

aye-aye
    Free Member

My NS Surge mk1 was great (same as later mk2 15″ small/medium?)
    Went from a BottleRocket to Surge and it was loads of fun.

boltonjon

I’m running a C456 as my main thrashing around on bike – only running 140mm forks, but i understand that they take 160mm forks fine

It’s got a tapered headtube and a 31.6mm seat tube, so can take my dropper post or BOS Devilles of my other bike anytime

It’s light, stiff and incredible value. Yes, it doesn’t look amazing and the cable routing has something to be desired – but for £250, its the bargain of the century

I’ve been running it for 6 months and i’m 100% impressed

Jon

tmb467
    Free Member

Privee looks amazing but still too new to be available 2nd hand at the right price – I’m curious whether an Evil Sovereign can take 160mm forks (or even what price a frame would be available at now)

456 is always a good bet…I’m a big fan of steel

In an ideal world, a nice Ti frame would land in my lap for knack all cash and cause my marriage to suffer worse than it does now!

messiah
    Free Member

Here was my stab at the one set of components two bikes thing (I was more aiming for two bikes with everything interchangeable but you get the idea).

The big bike.

The hardtail to take the same components.

I did this as I have a habit of breaking stuff so being able to swap major components about quickly appealed. Most of the components between the two were nearly identical so changes were a matter of minutes and the bikes had a very similar feel; but as it worked out I broke the Troof frame before I had tried all I wanted to try. I did learn that the Troof was a great bike but was more compromised as an XC/distance type bike than I would have liked due to the long fork geometry. Had a new frame been available from Ragley I would have taken it but none were so I took a refund and bought another second hand Mmmbop for about £100 (I had one before the Troof).

The little Mmmbop with the Fox fork reduced from 160 to 130mm is a much better all-rounder and again takes most of the components… but feels more XC than the Troof did. It’s not quite the point and shoot weapon the Troof was but it’s a huge grin inducing machine… in a way it’s more twitchy character is more involving and hence more fun.

Unfortunately fitting the Fox travel spacer means that swapping the fork over is now a bit of a PITA… and running the Mmmbop with a 160mm fork makes the bottom bracket too high. A travel adjust fork could work, but so would buying a second hand 20mm Revelation fork ( for £200 :mrgreen: ). The Mmmbop I had before the Troof had a Rev fork on it and it was okay most of the time but it will not give the same bombproof front end feeling that the 36 gives it.

I’ll probably change out the Mmmbop at some point when I find something which I think is better, but I’m not sure it would be for a 160mm fork as the Troof did feel very singleminded and was not the all rounder I had hoped it would be. I like the look of the Shan but it won’t take some of my components, it’s expensive, and a bit weighty for my particular useage. It does look awesome though 😈 … and I’m moving away from the component swap thing as I’ve found I’m doing it less than I thought I would.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

456 and a set of x fusion forks, about the same money as an expensive frame.

Probably less hassle.

I ran the 456 (not the EVO) with 160mm bombers but had them wound a little in for most of the time.
    Works well at 150mm though

edit# I just swapped forks this afternoon for the 2nd time in 2 weeks, bit bored of it really.

Clobber
    Free Member

Cotic BFe

loughor
    Free Member

Messiah, those 3 bikes look great.

tmb467
    Free Member

thanks Messiah – nice bikes btw

I’ve been putting more thought into it and I’m now succumbing to n+1 by asking why I want a HT in the first place…no point having two bikes that do the same thing so I dont need a frame I can swap components onto.

I just need a new bike

BillOddie

People have put 160mm forks on a Ragley Blue Pigs as well.

I have used 130mm marz Z1 FR SLs , 140 Pikes and 150mm Revs on mine.

Would happily slap a set of 160mm lyrics or marz 55s on the front of it!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘One set of components – two frames. What HT frame for 160mm forks?’ is closed to new replies.