Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • One Reverb — Two bikes!
  • FOG

After much nagging I am getting a reverb for Xmas but can’t make my mind up which bike to put it on,– 120mm XCish FS or the latest Generation Soul? Obviously it could be changed between the 2 but I can;t see me faffing about doing that vey often unless one was out of commission for some reason. I ride in the Peaks 2-3 times a week and seem to use both bikes equally. I do tend to take the FS for away days and trips though.
    Which bike gets the prezzy?
    [Can’t afford two which would of course be the answer]

chakaping
    Free Member

Whichever one you want to ride more, because once it’s on you’ll probably favour that bike.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

either as you will end up buying one for the other fairly soon after…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    munrobiker
    Free Member

I have one on my full susser but never feel the need on my hardtail. Also, hardtails look awful with an uppy downy post.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I swap my GD over on all my bikes it only takes the lever bolt x 2 and the seat post out

I worked it out that it is cheaper to have one decent seatpost and saddle than buy 3 [ one for each bike + saddle] only takes a couple of minutes to do.

No idea if a reverb is any harder- cable just gets tucked into the loop to the front mech for routing and works fine

as for which bike your choice

Onzadog
    Free Member

How about a ks lev with a spare remote, then switch between bikes easily as the remove unclips from the post in a matter of seconds.

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

I worked it out that it is cheaper to have one decent seatpost and saddle than buy 3

How long did it take you to work that one out Einstein..?

😀

chiefgrooveguru

The hardtail because you’ve no rear suspension to reduce the kick from a high saddle when it gets in the way. And the Soul’s probably better in the air or downhill than most 120mm XC FS bikes, though yours may be an exception.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Munrobiker, why not on a hardtail? Do you not need to shift your weight around on a hardtail?

IMHO any dropper seatpost looks ugly but I wouldn’t go back to a standard seatpost after using one.

OP, use it on both. Not too difficult to change over so long as you don’t get a big loop of hose on one frame where it could get snagged

Scapegoat

I thought I only wanted one, and after two goes at unbolting the hose clamps on the FS, shimming the 30.9 to fit the Soul and rerouting everything, snarling the hose and bar mount I decided to do the honourable thing and get one for the Soul as well. Part of me was worrying about the printed info in the Reverb box that told you not to run it with a shim. Mrs Scape needed to tell Santa what I wanted for Christmas anyway.

Besides, the WTB saddle looked just wrong on the Soul. 😀

Get one form the Vaterland and it only costs a few quid more than a Thompson anyway

matther01
    Free Member

I have the same dilemma.

Ordered a Soul on Fri, but will swap my Reverb from Ex8 as and when I need it. Will only take a few mins.

Maybe Santa will send me Lev next year, but until then I’ll just grin and bear it!

munrobiker
    Free Member

I find on the hardtail I just put the seat down and get on with it, if there’s an uphill just mash it. No bob to worry about.

chiefgrooveguru

I find on the hardtail I just put the seat down and get on with it, if there’s an uphill just mash it. No bob to worry about.

I like this answer – that’s what I used to do! For me, a dropper post is not for dropping the saddle, it’s so I can raise it for climbs. Without an ‘upper post’ my default position is seat down and standing.

jturn71

For the last 9 months I’ve had a Joplin with lever under saddle & swapped it between my Piglet hardtail & EX8 FS. Have just got a Reverb & I can’t see it being that much more of a faff to swap it between, I’m using the 3 supplied clips to fasten the hose to my brake hose so we’ll see how long they last.

As I have the 30.9 I will be using a shim to make it fit my EX8, I know instructions advise not to but has anyone found it caused a problem? It was never a problem with my Joplin.

chris_db
    Free Member

My Nerve came with a Reverb as standard. When I built my Ragley there was never any doubt in my mind that I wouldn’t fit a dropper. Tbh the hard tail now gets more use than the susser and the reverb is just spot on.

Ugly? I don’t think so, all I know is that there is no way back, every MTB I ever own will have a dropper, there is no looking back!

Chris

DT78
    Free Member

I swap my reverb between my anthem and my nomad depending on where I’m riding. It takes less than 20 mins tops to cut a few ties, undo a 2 bolts and reinstall.

If it is post size, get a 30.9 and a shim. I’ve also swapped between a nomad and mmmbop without issue.

honourablegeorge

Junkyard – Member

I worked it out that it is cheaper to have one decent seatpost and saddle than buy 3

These must have been complicated calculations….

smiff
    Free Member

i also thought, well i have one arse, only ride 1 bike at a time. and nice to have one comfy saddle.

but then couldn’t really be bothered to move a lever post. def. wouldn’t bother to move a remote post. could be my total lack of pre-ride planning..

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘One Reverb — Two bikes!’ is closed to new replies.