• This topic has 26 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by jeff.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • One One 456 14" – or alternative LT HT for small rider?
  • chakaping
    Free Member

I need to get a new frame for my wife, who is 5ft 1in. Does anyone know from their own experience whether a 456 in 14″ is likely to be small enough?

Are there any other (cheap) long-travel hardtail frames that come in XS sizes?

br
    Free Member

Anything cheap is likely to also be harsh, maybe better to spend a bit more.

Not sure what she’ll be using it for, but my youngest rides a Dr Jekyll HT with 120mm forks – very stiff but also light and very small.

GW
    Free Member

Why long travel?

You probably need to find something with around a 21″ or less tt length

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

I’m in same boat, doesn’t have to be LT but need 13.5 or 14 XS . I did build up an old Transistion vagrant but its still too big for her stand over height so that’s my play bike 😆

Under £150 for a frame as I have all the other parts

OP sorry for the thread hijack

ART

Chapaking & mattzzzzzz if you’re interested I have two 14″ inbred frames for sale that might do you. TTs on the 14″ are 21″ thereabouts, both nice & low slung so plenty of standover which helps lots when you are diddy.

1. the original steel inbred, short(ish) travel … 100/110mm ideal but happily rides @ 120mm, white
    2. a 456 (originally red but resprayed black)

mail me at ruth dot andy at btinternet dot com for pics if you are interested.

Ta. 🙂

brant
    Free Member

I agree with GW. It must be the sun.

Small people and long forks mean high bars and poor stand over height.

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

ART many thanks for the offer, I think your a bit far away for me to have a look as I’m on the North Notts / South Yorkshire border,
    Brant, have you anything kicking about at On One in a 14 that I can mate to a set of RS recons 100 mm , must be cheap though ,so anything shop soiled that you could clear?

Matt

cinnamon_girl

Maxlight Kinesis? A friend who’s around 5’2″ loved hers, think the tt is fairly short too. Or a Genesis?

sambob
    Free Member

XS BFe? Can be run with short forks as well as longer ones.

brant
    Free Member

Even “expensive” on one frames are quite low priced.

I’d spend £174 on a 14in Scandal.

http://on-one.co.uk/i/q/FROO26SCVD/on_one_scandal_26er_vertical_dropout_frame

toys19
    Free Member

Brant, haha agreeing with GW isn’t the worst thing that could happen to you..

I dunno if standover is mega important once you are in the saddle. I have had to essentially put up with crummy standover and have kind of got over the need for good standover, out of neccesity.

I’m 5ft 5 3/4 but have stumpy legs 26.5 inch inside leg..

I have tried:

14 inch 456 (seemed too long despite not being so in theory)

small orange p7 (way too big)

xs BFe perfect fit (140mm vans). Why did I ever sell this bike, why why why. May well get another. Cotic have too many XS bfes in stock. Cotic told me on twitter to “make them an offer”

Sarcen zen 15 inch. low standover, excellent value if you can get it cheap.

I have had two threads about these recently:

One where GW pointed out a small transition Bank frame that might suit (despite it not necc being what you think she wants, its proabaly perfect for a stumpy person, other than the xs bfe, which is perfect): clicky

Secondly my saracen zen mini review.

brant
    Free Member

I agree about standover. But.

toys19
    Free Member

yes I understand.

stevemorg2

ART,

I’m interested in one of the Inbred frames if the OP isn’t – can you let me have some pics and a price when you get chance please?

chakaping
    Free Member

Thanks for all the comments, I already have a 140mm fork – hence thinking a LT HT.

The TT length might be a bit of a risk on the 456 I think, might go back to the drawing board and consider something a fair bit shorter.

🙂

br
    Free Member

small orange p7 (way too big)

Toys – you must be tiny, as senorj who I ride with has one and he’s rather ‘short’…

domino

How about a Kinesis Maxlight

I’m 5’3″ and find the likes of the Cotic Soul too long in the TT – standover didnt seem to be an issue though. I spent ages looking at geometry to see what would be right for me – The Kinesis fits perfectly.

IMG_0249 by NathanSearle, on Flickr

chiefgrooveguru

Could you not run a really really short stem on the 456? With 140mm forks it isn’t exactly going to be nervy!

nickf
    Free Member

My 5’0″ son rides a 14″ 456, and has no problems, and that’s with 150mm Fox forks.

Stem is 50mm, and he’s got the saddle as far forward as possible. Also cut the bars down a bit so there’s less overall stretch.

toys19
    Free Member

b r – Member
    Toys – you must be tiny, as senorj who I ride with has one and he’s rather ‘short’…

Yes rub it in why don’t you..

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I can’t fathom how a short person can ride a long travel hardtail effectively. Surely their legs are too short to provide the movement required for the big hits that the forks are soaking up? If you’re short I imagine its better to be light and nimble on the bike and glide over the big bumps.

What about one of those charge blender frames? They work with short forks and are nice and slack to.

domino

No I can’t fathom it either, sell the forks and get something more suited to the riding she does and the frame that fits, or just get a complete bike.

chakaping
    Free Member

Yeah, looking at XS women’s specific HTs now.

Giant Talon W looks promising.

toys19
    Free Member

I can’t fathom how a short person can ride a long travel hardtail effectively. Surely their legs are too short to provide the movement required for the big hits that the forks are soaking up? If you’re short I imagine its better to be light and nimble on the bike and glide over the big bumps.

Surely not! 140mm is only 5.5 inches, with my saddle out the way I can easily absorb 5.5 inches, and more, my rear suspension functions well. Your fathoming issues are over.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Sorry, I didnt really explain myself correctly. Obviously the suspension only moves 150mm, but your arms move aswell! The sort of riding 150mm forked hardtails encourage is ploughing head on into the rough stuff, holding on and hoping for the best. I think a taller person is able to cope with this better than someone whos shorter. I reckon someone whos shorter is better off playing to their advantage and riding a bit lighter/smoother/ with a bit more finesse.

toys19
    Free Member

So what you are saying is that a taller person has more travel? And that more travel is better?

jeff

My wife’s 5ft and she loves her 456 with FLoat 140s.

(got a regular geared inbred too with 100mm forks, prefers the 456.)

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘One One 456 14" – or alternative LT HT for small rider?’ is closed to new replies.