• This topic has 22 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • One of the few reasons riding with gears can be better than SS
  • Stoner
    Free Member

Took out the Roloff’d HT last night for a change and noticed one particular benefit of having gears over the usual SS.

Being able to crank a tall gear over level rough ground when going quickly makes for a better natural suspension effect.

With a bigger gear, your legs are providing greater force to the pedals making for a smoother suspension of your body – bit like having a stronger spring, and perhaps slower rebound, rear shock in a full sus.

Apart from that gears are rubbish though.

soobalias
    Free Member

thats a mighty expensive rear hub for someone who claims to believe ‘gears are rubbish’

trailmonkey

Took out the Roloff’d HT last night for a change and noticed one particular benefit of having gears over the usual SS.

no one thought you were a bulb end ?

Stoner
    Free Member

there was no one to ask tm. Will remember to next time though.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If you are a bulb end in the woods and no one sees you, are you still a bulb end? 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

i certainly wasnt a dimly lit bulb end last night. Took the XML torch with the troutlight for fun. Felt like cheating 🙂

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

‘Bulb-End’ LOL!

First time I read that on here, it was Firestarter. What’s happened to him? 😐

Stoner
    Free Member

caught in flagrante delicto.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Have you checked out the Pinion gearbox?

Looks like a good solution but needs a frame designed specifically for it. Small, relatively light, weight in the centre of the bike and designed by ex-Porsche racing engineers.

Unfortunatly Nickolai (sp?) have sold out of their Pinion AM frames.

Anyone else doing proper gearboxes rather than hidden derailieurs?

Stoner
    Free Member

were they in that video from eurobike/interbike?

Look tidy – two sets of planetary gears wasnt it? TBH I think the rohloff is still a good solution and the centre of gravity shift isnt the end of the world. But you cant help but avoid using the middle couple of gears because of the feeling of inefficiency when both planetary sets are being used at their greatest limits.

soobalias
    Free Member

But you cant help but avoid using the middle couple of gears because of the feeling of inefficiency when both planetary sets are being used

so its a very expensive dinglespeed?

Stoner
    Free Member

if dingle means twelve, then yes: its a very expensive dinglespeed

As it happens I love my rohloff. Cant help but think that some people (rude anonymous tagging? really?) might be taking this thread a little too seriously….

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I like the idea of the Rohloff but it seems more sensible to put it in the middle of the bike as they have in the Pinion.

12 speed dingle speed = Dodecadingle?

ooOOoo
    Free Member

This is why I have a triple & bash
    Plus spinning out feels stupid

Stoner
    Free Member

if you were starting from scratch, then yes, get the weight in the middle. But like most of the more common solutions out there they are designed to work with legacy layouts – i.e. at the back.

Even the hammerschmidt needs ISCG tabs. and the other two speed BB shift thingy (cant remember the name) needs you to ream metal from the BB shell.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

the other two speed BB shift thingy (cant remember the name)

Schlumpf, IIRC.

Stoner
    Free Member

*taps nose and points.*

soobalias
    Free Member

my dad just got a rohloff in a koga tourer thingy – not tried it yet, so just yanking yer chain stoner.

he has also had his will changed such that my sister doesnt inherit half unless she can explain how it works

Stoner
    Free Member

chain duly yanked 😉

julesf7
    Free Member

Hmm, would that make it a “dodecinglespeed”?

Sorry, the simple musing of a fellow Rohloffee

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Luddite in “You Were Right, I Was Wrong” Shocker…

🙄

firestarter
    Free Member

Elf I still lurk and sometimes post I’ve been too busy modding my motorbike for idle gossip 😉 I no longer own any mountain bikes tho I Have two crossers still

D0NK

There are lot’s of reasons why gears are better than than SS
    there are also lots of reasons why SS is better than gears.
    ‘s all good.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘One of the few reasons riding with gears can be better than SS’ is closed to new replies.