• This topic has 10 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by IHN.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • One Night In Iceland
  • walleater

I’m trying to get from Vancouver to Manchester and back either as cheap as possible, or with an interesting stop over to break up a tedious flight. Stopping for a day each way in Reykjavik on the surface of it meets both requirements.

Anyone know the area well? Is it easy to get around for someone who only speaks English (I guess so….Not many people speak Icelandic). Is there much to see within striking distance from the airport? Much in the way of cheapish accommodation?

Cheers!

toby1

If you fly into Keflavik, then your need to get into to Reykjavik ideally. It’s not that great a place. The whole island seems to speak English amazingly though, and if you hit Reykjavik on a weekend night you won’t even need a hotel room!

disco_stu
    Free Member

The Blue Lagoon Geothermal spa is not far from the airport, when I went last year there seemed to be a fair few people turning up straight from the airport.

Harry_the_Spider

Been a while since I was there. There are a few nice bars down Hverfisgata.

If the weather is good you have to walk down to Solfar!

vdubber67
    Free Member

Expensive but cool place (Reykjavik)

Get a cheap bus in from the airport…

City has loads of bars and nightlife…

These guys do some cool bike tours from the city too…http://www.bikecompany.is/guided-tours/reykjavik-downtown/

Marin
    Free Member

Was there in December. Blue Lagoon was good, lots of people breaking flights with it. As said the bike tour is good.English is spoken everywhere. Nothings cheap.

walleater

Thanks peeps. Looks like it’s worth doing a bit more investigation at least!

scruff
    Free Member

Ro5ey
    Free Member

cheap as possible

Staying in iceland and trying to actually do anything may well blow that plan clean out of the water.

Great place mind, loved it.

gsm7
    Free Member

You need to check out the laundromat cafe. The food is amazing!
    http://www.thelaundromatcafe.com/da

IHN

Laundromat, deffo. Great food and not expensive (circa £10 for a main, and they’re generous portions…)

Reykyavik doesn’t actually have to be that expensive. Nearly all the bars have happy hours at some point in the evening, with a modicum of though you can be buying beer (and most of it really good beer) for about £3 a pint up until about ten o’clock. After that you’re talking £6 a pint which is expensive, but not truly shocking (it’s about what you’d pay in a ski resort for example).

There’s a few hostels that, when we went in them for a beer/coffee/food looked really good. We stayed at an Air BnB place right on the main street.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘One Night In Iceland’ is closed to new replies.