Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • One Moron and His Dog
  • Stu_N

Went out for a walk today as we still have a bit much snow for riding. Was taking some pics by the river when a dog, then a man, appeared on the ice – you can see him right in the top left of the corner.

It was thick enough for snow to lie on, but a bit broken up by the bank and where trees were dipping into the water but would you risk it? He's sort of behind the trees and the dog is in front of the trees.

Then he walks right up to the edge of the weir. He did go closer to the edge, sort of stamping on the ice to see how thick it was. Even the dog had more sense than to go right up to the weir. Fortunately he didn't go through the ice (or not that we saw).

A bit further on, I was taking a pic of the shopping trolley and what should I see right in the back left hand corner of the picture?

There's been nothing on the news so I guess he got away with it but seriously, you must be a bit mental to go on the ice over deep water after all the reports of people and going through ice recently.

EDIT:FLICKR LINKY

iDave
    Free Member

Darwin FAIL

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

😯

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scaredypants

was a bloke killed in teesside today or yesterday doing the same 🙁

curtisthecat
    Free Member

Its ok to walk on the ice as long as you are wearing dodgy shorts and taking pictures of little girls. All part of living life on the edge!

0091paddy
    Free Member

Wait, is the weir flowing?

allthepies
    Free Member

Errr, yes.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Still have nightmares about coming back from a New Years party in Glasgow, very stupidly walking across this loch worse for wear when all i heard was those echoey ice cracking type noises! Shat myself, fortunately it didn't crack up and i very gently walked back the way i came. Never again! STUPID STUPID STUPID!

0091paddy
    Free Member

Ahh just looked at the bigger pics now.. 😯

simonralli2
    Free Member

At least the dog in this clip comes out unscathed, unlike his owner!

Goz
    Free Member

Similar to the **** on a bike, riding on a frozen lake in the Lake District.

Coyote
    Free Member

Its ok to walk on the ice as long as you are wearing dodgy shorts and taking pictures of little girls. All part of living life on the edge!

LOL.

Karinofnine

Idiot

I hope the two dogs are ok

Jamie
    Free Member

Bit harsh. He only went on the ice to save his dogs.

iDave
    Free Member

couldn't he have just whistled?

singletrackmind

2 dead brothers and 1 in intensive care down south after going into a pond through the ice, and not having watched Bear Gryles were not aware of either how stoopid it is , or how to get out if you do go in. Probably didnt have a heated 4 x 4 out of camera either.
    As for teh bloke in the piccy , proper moron as the water looks to be flowing fairly quickly , so the ice will be thinner than a lake / pond in the same area.

BoardinBob

OP, that looks like the water mill in Pollok Park???

CountZero

Not at all. If dogs go on the ice and it breaks, what kind of muppet thinks going on the ice themselves is a bright idea? The dogs, generally speaking, have a much better chance of getting out on their own. They're better swimmers, for a start, and they're better insulated.

allthepies
    Free Member

Every year some idiot dies trying to rescue a dog in a frozen lake. Surprise, surprise the dog manages to get out OK.

tails
    Free Member

does happen every year, I never ever understand how the message didn't reach them that it was a bad idea. must be a truly horrible way to go, hopefully there will be no more this winter.

Stu_N

I sure as hell wouldn't have gone in after the fool if the ice had broken under him.

Naturally would have phoned for help, but if you're going onto a frozen river just to take photos then I reckon you've made your own luck.

marcus7
    Free Member

I saw a family (two adults and two kids walking across the lake (or mere?)yesterday in delamere!. I actually could not belive my eyes! (thought it was hypothermia setting in.. There were, as i saw, many footprints going across… There would have been no way of getting to them if it had gone pear shaped!. And I thought I was stupid….(well I was riding on my own)!.

hora
    Free Member

Look at Hollingsworth lake- you'll see a fair few footprints in the powder across the lake.

I think Coroners class this as 'misadventure'.

robgarrioch

Is that the weir just at the Belford hotel / bridge? Besides the obvious difficulties in getting trapped under ice, a few swallows of the Water of Leith, or any water bisecting urbanity, would do your chances no good at all…

DrT
    Free Member

I watched some of this rescue unfold last week. I didnt hang about to see the outcome and Im glad the dog got out OK.

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/topstories/Firemen-stuck-in-ice-after.5945229.jp

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Similar to the **** on a bike, riding on a frozen lake in the Lake District.

that would be me 🙂

astonishingly I survived unscathed and happy!

snakebite
    Free Member

shorts? LOL

Stu_N

It was on the Almond in Mid Calder – here.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘One Moron and His Dog’ is closed to new replies.