Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)
  • one month off the bike…
  • gonzy
    Free Member

so its that time of the year again where my sleeping and eating patterns are massively disrupted as i put myself through 30 days of fasting during Ramadan. during the summer months where the days are longer its more mentally and physically challenging as i abstain from eating and drinking and try to keep myself mentally pure.
    i’ve stopped riding the bike into work and if i’m lucky i might manage a few leisurely weekend rides…no bikes for a month is gonna be the hardest part.

anyway no eaten or drunk since 2am…and everything going ok so far…only 10 hours to go!!

alpin
    Free Member

without meaning to be derogatory, but why?

gonzy
    Free Member

Ramadan is the ninth month of the Islamic calendar and also the month in which the initial verses of the Qur’an were said to be revealed to the Prophet Muhammad.
    Each day during this month, Muslims all over the world abstain from eating, drinking, smoking, as well as participating in anything that is ill-natured or excessive; from dawn until the sun sets. Fasting is intended to educate the Muslim in spirituality, humility and patience. It is a time to cleanse the soul, focus attention on God, and put into practice selflessness. Ramadan is a time for Muslims to fast for the sake of God and to put forward more prayer than is customary.
    Fasting is intended to help teach Muslims self-discipline, self-restraint and generosity. It also reminds them of the suffering of the poor, who may rarely get to eat well.
    Fasting is one of the Five Pillars of the Islam religion, and one of the main types of Islamic worship.
    Restraint from everyday enjoyment and curbing wicked intentions and cravings are considered as an act of compliance and obedience to God, as well as amending for sins, faults, and mistakes. During Ramadan, Muslims request forgiveness for sins in the past, pray for direction and assistance in abstaining from everyday troubles, and endeavour to cleanse themselves through self-control and great acts of charity.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Your imaginary friend sounds a bit of a bastard. Why not try a more chilled religion? Lots out there.

johndoh
    Free Member

This is not going to end well is it?

I think taking the piss out of an individual’s beliefs is pretty low and shouldn’t be aired on what is generally a very pleasant forum.

DezB
    Free Member

Each day during this month, Muslims all over the world abstain from eating, drinking…

You eat and drink nothing for 30 days? Won’t you die? Or do you just do it at night?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

One month off the bike done due to injury, compensated with beer and good food.

DezB
    Free Member

I think taking the piss out of an individual’s beliefs is pretty low
    Hope there are no scientologists in today.

Xylene
    Free Member

Gonzy – many years ago, while I was living a slightly wilder life than I do now, my mate, Ama, told me that he was doing Ramadan, and I should do it as well, it would benefit me.

So I laid off the drink and partying, ate only after sunset, although i did drink water, and went to uni everyday. Ama, did the same, other than going to uni, instead he stayed up all night, and went to bed in the morning, cheating git.

It was a terrible month, no sleep as my body tried to detox, hungry, fairly grumpy and wondered at the number of people doing it around the world.

Felt better at the end of it, and enjoyed being part of the feast with his family, and the visit to the mosque a couple of times was odd, but very accepting, as he explained what I was doing and why.

Anyway, good luck.

ratherbeintobago

When’s Eid likely to be? You have that to look forward to…

brant
    Free Member

so its that time of the year again where my sleeping and eating patterns are massively disrupted as i put myself through 30 days of fasting during Ramadan. during the summer months where the days are longer its more mentally and physically challenging as i abstain from eating and drinking and try to keep myself mentally pure.
    i’ve stopped riding the bike into work and if i’m lucky i might manage a few leisurely weekend rides…no bikes for a month is gonna be the hardest part.

anyway no eaten or drunk since 2am…and everything going ok so far…only 10 hours to go!!

All the best with that. Fasting and thinking about stuff seems a good thing to do from time to time. I’ve never had the will power to do that.

Hugs from Hippy Hebden Bridge.

gonzy
    Free Member

You eat and drink nothing for 30 days? Won’t you die? Or do you just do it at night?

we abstain from eating and drinking during daylight hours only…we can eat and drink as much as we can when its night time….if we were in Scandinavia we’d be screwed!

gonzy
    Free Member

When’s Eid likely to be? You have that to look forward to…

around july 17th give or take a day…it depends on the new moon sighting but wont go over 31 days if no moon has been sighted

bigblackshed

…we can eat and drink as much as we can when its night time….

I’m no expert here, but when a Muslim breaks their fast during Ramadan they should:

This way, one would only eat what is needed instead of eating unneeded amount of food at the moment of breaking the fast.

Not indulge in a “binge”, paraphrasing, but to use that time reflect on the deeper meaning of Ramadan. Prayer, purification, thoughts about those less fortunate, charitable acts, etc.

fasthaggis

from dawn until the sun sets

😯

That must be a tough gig for North of the border muslims.

gonzy
    Free Member

bigblackshed…my comment was merely to imply that there are no restrictions on what we can and cant eat at night nor are there restrictions on how much we can eat, but you are absolutely correct that it shouldn’t be seen as a green light to go on a food binge. you should only eat what you are able to and not what you think you can.
    the classic mistake is to let your eyes become bigger than your belly and have too much food to eat and then when its not eaten it goes to waste (the complete opposite of what ramadan signifies)

hora
    Free Member

Gonzy think of the good that it is doing for you both spiritually, mentally and physically.

As LONG as you aren’t overdoing fat-rich food?

When I’ve gone without food it gives me an appreciation for food, for my easy access to it and to re-set my assumptions on a wider scale as I start thinking. Physically as it is helps burn off the surplus of you.

That is…as long as you are eating good when you eat again post-fast?

neilthewheel

there’s no such thing as too much curry so I’d go with that.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Are people really that ignorant to Muslim beliefs ? 😯

Eddie – Your truly are an idiot, just because you do not hold the same beliefs as some one, doesnt mean you shouldn’t respect their beliefs

Mackem

I dont understand why it keeps you off the bike. Finish a ride just as its getting dark. Or going early morning after a big breakfast. I understand it’s not ideal and you wont be racing but surely a couple of hours fun is possible.

ElShalimo

Gonzy – best wishes mate, my friends have told me how hard it can be at this time of year.

For all the piss-takers, religion aside do you think you’re capable of doing it?

hora
    Free Member

Religion aside I think it’d take great inner strength and conviction.

nedrapier

Good luck, gonzy.

Can’t believe anyone’s knocking it, especially on here. It’s a challenge, mental and physical that enables you to find out more about yourself.

Much like plenty that’s admired on here: HT550, RAAM, SDW x n, Great Divide etc, etc. plus there’s an additional focus on looking outwards as well, to the family, the community, poor in general. (plus god)

Replace a few of the words from gonzy’s second paragraph and it could be someone talking about the trancendental benefits of ultra-endurance running.

DezB
    Free Member

Are people really that ignorant to Muslim beliefs ?

Yep, and most of the others too. No RE in my school days.

Eddie – Your truly are an idiot, just because you do not hold the same beliefs as some one, doesnt mean you shouldn’t respect their beliefs

what an utter overreaction – just as offensive as what Eddiebaby said.

bigblackshed

Gonzy.

I picked up on the word “can” rather than “need” when in context to food. I admire my friends who observe Ramadan, including the non-Muslims who participate to show moral support.

Good luck.

Edit: Mackem

Giving up the bike for a month isn’t because of the physical, more about personal sacrifice to give up those things you find pleasurable so to be able to focus on the spiritual.

pictonroad

Are you allowed (is ‘allowed’ the correct term?) to drink water if your profession means you need to be physically active?

What about if you’re a professional driver? Is it better to switch to driving at night?

It sounds tricky to me, I reckon I’d forget and accidentally make a cup of tea on autopilot in the morning. 😆

seosamh77
    Free Member

Ramadan mubarak! 🙂

seosamh77
    Free Member

gonzy – Member

we abstain from eating and drinking during daylight hours only…we can eat and drink as much as we can when its night time….if we were in Scandinavia we’d be screwed!

I’ve often wondered, why don’t you just work to Mecca day light hours or something like that? Fair play to you though, being on the chunky side, I personally stuggle with not eating for more than 3 hours! 😆

bikebouy
    Free Member

I admire your beleif in your faith. Some of us lot could do with a bit of that rubbing off on us.

However I’d never choose to do what you are doing. To me it seems restrictive and prohibitive. I see the mental toughness coming through, but this time of year the Suns out and we should make the most of it whilst we can.
    For that reason I’d fail.

Good luck.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Ramalamadingdong in June. That’s tough, dude. I think most on here could do with a abstention of talking shite for 30 days.

gonzy
    Free Member

That must be a tough gig for North of the border muslims.

in london they will break their fasts around 9.20pm, in the midlands it will be around 9.30pm, in the northwest its at 9.40pm. for those north of the border 10.05pm.

the saudis will be breaking their fast at 7.05pm. but those in scandinavia (Helsinki 10.49pm)(Oslo 10.40pm)

globalti
    Free Member

You might be pleased to hear that there is a movement amongst certain British Muslims to get the fasting times brought in line with Saudi Arabia, so that people in northern hemispheres don’t have to suffer as long as they do. Mind you, in a few years Ramadan will fall in midwinter, won’t it?

The more I learn about Islam the more parallels I see with Roman Catholicism, another religion which until quite recently gave you all the rules for life and required extreme adherence including fasting, though admittedly only for 12 hours before receiving communion.

zippykona

Wouldn’t it be better to link it to Mecca sun up and down?
    That would even it out for those in the southern hemisphere.
    Last year one of our staff had their doctor faint on them due to fasting.
    I hope pilots and surgeons can opt out.

nedrapier

Presumably you don’t live in the Arctic Circe if you’re an observant Muslim? Or you come up with a pragmatic view of intent behind the words in the Qur’an and use sunrise and sunset for that day in e.g. Mecca?

Edit: what they said. pretty much. Slow at typing.

gonzy
    Free Member

I dont understand why it keeps you off the bike. Finish a ride just as its getting dark. Or going early morning after a big breakfast. I understand it’s not ideal and you wont be racing but surely a couple of hours fun is possible.

bigblackshed is kind of on the money with his response

Giving up the bike for a month isn’t because of the physical, more about personal sacrifice to give up those things you find pleasurable so to be able to focus on the spiritual.

but there is also the other aspect to draw upon that initially we fast for up to 20 hours. by the end of the 30 days this might decrease by at least about 2 hours. even then we’d be looking to be fasting on average of about 18 hours of which 14-15 hours of this will be done while we go about our usual business (unless its Quirrel’s mate). at some point it will start to catch up with you and in order to get through it all you need to conserve your energy where possible.
    at 38 with 3 kids i aint no spring chicken any more…i should be given that i commute 70 miles per week but i’m going to take the opportunity to be lazy and not ride and enjoy the company of my wife and kids! 😀

Are you allowed (is ‘allowed’ the correct term?) to drink water if your profession means you need to be physically active?

What about if you’re a professional driver? Is it better to switch to driving at night?

exceptions are usually in place for those who are unable to do so for health reasons such as pregnant women, breastfeeding women, women who are at “that time of the month”, the elderly and infirm and those who are not of sound mind.
    if you are unwell and not physically capable of fasting the same exceptions can be made for you but on the understanding that any days lost will be made up for at another time.
    as for those whose professions come into conflict with fasting….its a tough one as it is also understood that you shouldnt put yourself at risk of any harm by fasting.
    the algerian football squad was given exemption to play at last years world
    cup as were many other muslim players who were also playing. i’m not sure though how many actually took advantage of the exemption.

grenosteve
    Free Member

Good on you for sharing, and good luck with it.

My school was a good 30% Muslim, and I remember friends having a hard time with it, and other friends who ignored it completely on the sly!

OmarLittle
    Free Member

Knew a footballer a few years ago who got special permission from his iman for eating on days where he was playing in the champions league in the evening – i suspect the iman supporting the team in question might have had something to do with the permission granted 😀

Do you lose much weight over the course of the month or does the night time food make up for most of it?

gonzy
    Free Member

You might be pleased to hear that there is a movement amongst certain British Muslims to get the fasting times brought in line with Saudi Arabia, so that people in northern hemispheres don’t have to suffer as long as they do. Mind you, in a few years Ramadan will fall in midwinter, won’t it?

this has only brought to the medias attention due to the ramblings of Usama Hasan from the Quilliam Foundation. TBH i think Quilliam are a bunch of self serving clowns.
    i dont see how it can be applied as when the Saudis get up the begin their fast just before sunrise it wont be the same anywhere else. the same can be applied to breaking the fast at sunset.
    i.e. if sunrise is at say 4am in saudi then it will still be 12.30am in the UK so technically not sunrise yet. in the evening at sunset in saudi which will be just after 7pm it will still be light here so again technically we cannot break our fast yet.
    by the same token this idea cannot be applied to countries that are ahead of saudi. for example in pakistan it will be around 8am when it will be 4am in saudi so technically if they start their fast at that time in line with the saudis their fast will e invalid as they have begun their fast after the sun has risen.
    it just wont work. you have to adhere to the rules of fasting and apply them to your geographical location taking into account local time/light conditions…which is rather unfortunate if you’re stuck in the north pole!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

FunkyDunc – Member
    Are people really that ignorant to Muslim beliefs ?

Sorry, no respect for religion here. At best a childish need to find a reason for ‘ Why…?’ At worst a control system where you blindly obey because of the threats of what will happen in the case of non-observance.
    Gods in general come across as total a’holes.
    ‘Kill me a virgin or your crops will die!’

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘one month off the bike…’ is closed to new replies.