Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • One man tent vs bivy, pics for comparison….
  • crikey
    Free Member

Been out to play today and set up tent and bivy side by side for a quick and hopefully useful comparison. The tent is the Go Outdoors Phoxx 1, the bivy is the Outdoor Research Alpine bivy (for sale…).

Pack size is pretty much the same, although the tent is a bit bigger with the poles in the pack.

Set up is way easier with the bivy, 5 pegs, a hoop and you are ready for bed.

Tent is a bit more messing about, inner first with poles and pegs.

Height difference might be important for stealth camping and headroom.

Actual space to sleep in is probably the same, but the tent has more options for kit under the flysheet.

Tent is significantly more hassle to pack even in a light breeze, and weighs about 0.6 kg more than the bivy at 900ish grammes.

Any questions , carry on, I’ve not slept in either yet!

oldnpastit

Your garden wall needs some attention.

And when was the last time you mowed your lawn?

crikey
    Free Member

It’s grim up north…

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Your garden wall needs some attention.

And when was the last time you mowed your lawn?
    More concerned about the house, loooks a tad draughty to me.

crikey
    Free Member

It’s going to be a granny flat…

footflaps

Pointing needs re-doing….

crikey
    Free Member

1836, possibly a powder store for the nearby quarries, not looking too bad all things considered.

crikey
    Free Member

Bump for monksie and to encourage molgrips to save up…. 😉

Daffy

I use a Force 10 Helium for these kinda things. More faff to put up, but infinitely better sleep once inside. It’s only 1kg too.

bigblackshed

I’ve just bought one of these:

Berghaus Peak 3.1

It’s primarily for bike touring, but with a bit of comfort. I’m going to put it up tomorrow, so I’ll get some photos and a better look and opinion.

I went for a tent rather than a bivi, just so I have somewhere to get out of the wet if needed.

mrmoosehead
    Free Member

Sir wants a terra nova laser comp.
    Great tent. 2 6’1″ blokes, just.
    What i use for 2 day mountain races. Be interested to hear how you get on with that tent though.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘One man tent vs bivy, pics for comparison….’ is closed to new replies.