• This topic has 28 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Moses.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • One Man backpacking tents…
  • crikey
    Free Member

Hello, I’ve not been on here for a couple of years, nice to see the usual suspects still at each others throats… 😀

Flogging my bivvy bag (see Classifieds) and am looking at cheap one man tents to walk with. The OEX range from Go Outdoors is getting my attention at the mo, the Phoxx and the Lynx evo 1, but any others to be thinking of?

jimmy

I was looking at the gelert solo but no idea how it compares. seems good value, though.

footflaps

This was my one man tent: http://www.macpac.co.nz/microlight-classic-tent.html

Sold it on the Classifieds here some years back…

crikey
    Free Member

I’m hoping to spend a bit less than that, but it’s interesting to see the different designs available. I’m off to check out the GO tents now.

footflaps

Have you tried Alpkit?

crikey
    Free Member

All a bit bigger than I wanted… I’m only a little fella.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Wild Country Zephyros 1 or 2.

I have the two as it’s got a little bit more room inside for gear etc. Only used it for 1 night, but very impressed so far.

yunki
    Free Member

I’ve got my eye on this at the moment

http://www.robens.de/en/Products/Tents/Trail/Starlight1

Clobber
    Free Member

I’ve got the starlight2 and really like it, not sure I’d want anything smaller when using a tent, I’m going to try bivvying for a lighter set-up though

yunki
    Free Member

if the bivvying works out might you consider selling your tent clobber?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

If you want a lightweight tent, try looking for a secondhand Lightwave.

Clobber
    Free Member

fraid not yunki, it gets used a lot by me and the kids.

user-removed
    Free Member

+1 the Gelert Solo. Mine was £30. Weighs less than a kilo, had it for four years and the rain still doesn’t come in, replaced the poles with Vango poles as soon as I bought it.

Packs down smaller than any other tent I’ve tried and is long enough for my 6′ frame.

Downsides; it’s very tiny – no way you’ll be able to brew up in it but if you’re used to bivvy bags it’s positively palatial. Condensation is an issue on sunny Summer mornings. The poles are made of plasticine and need replacing straight away.

Spin
    Free Member

If you want a lightweight tent, try looking for a secondhand Lightwave

Lightwave have serious QC issues. Some are decent, some disastrous.

seosamh77
    Free Member

The gelert solo is terrible. it’s about 1.6kg btw.

zephyros 2 is like a hotel room in comparison and is 1/7kg. 🙂 More expensive, but defo worth it over the gelert.

crikey
    Free Member

Just checked out the GO 1 man tents, the Phoxx and the Lynx Evo 1. Pics when I get home, but the Phoxx is a real minimal stealth ninja nylon coffin, £50 but I suspect it would be a bit grim for more than the odd overnight stay, and unbearable in the sun. The Lynx is a better camping tent, but the colour isn’t that stealthy. Just an observation, young ladies with impressive err… upholstery… seem to be everywhere. Summer, it’s grand.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Oh, I used to sell the Lightwave tents a few years back, not had an issue.

Marmot were good value.

jimmy

The gelert solo is terrible

How so? Just curious, what makes a bad tent? Or a tent bad?

scotroutes

SMD Lunar Solo. Light, airy, easy to pitch, packs small.

Moses

I’ll flog you my unused Aldi £20 special if you want, a small side-opening double-skinned tent a bit like the Gelert. Not heavy, either.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Six moon’s Lunar Solo here as well.
    Once you suss out the correct way to pitch it it’s perfect.
    Packs tiny using a Bear Bones carbon pole weighs in at next to nothing and has room to sit up in it as well as having a good porch.

crikey
    Free Member

The Phoxx. Proper minimal job for those who enjoy spending time with the person they love the most!

The Lynx evo 1, better all round for actual camping duty and only 0.2 kg heavier.

Pack sizes: the Lynx can be packed as small, almost, as the Phoxx by taking the poles out and carrying them separately…

I’m thinking the Lynx is the sensible option…

somafunk

Another SMD Lunar Solo user, i have the LE version with a slightly heavier weight groundsheet which is fine for me, set it up on a warm dry day and seam seal the stitching though. Throw away the supplied tent pegs as they are pretty useless, i use a mixture of Apex TI V pegs and Candy Cane pegs dependant on what surface i am pitched on. I also have the Bear Bones carbon pole for it.

Very decent small (but not small inside) tent that packs away in a bar bag no problem.

stevemorg2

And another very happy SMD Lunar solo LE user – bought from Arlight designs in France so no duty to pay and no long wait for delivery (arrived about a week after ordering) . plenty of room, nice and light and not that expensive

seosamh77
    Free Member

Jimmy just purely due to the size of it. You fit in it to lie down and that’s about all you can do. Everything else about it is fine, it works, it’s just tiny.

cinnamon_girl

Welcome back crikey but I thought you were too tough for this place. 😉

stevemorg2

Moses – I may be interested in your Aldi special for occaisional use by my lad – any pics or a link to it?

crikey
    Free Member

@CG:
    Nah, I gave it up because I was getting to be too grumpy and didn’t like myself as a result. I’m older, fatter and less excitable now, hopefully… 😉

Moses

Hi Steve, there’s a link here :
    Video

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘One Man backpacking tents…’ is closed to new replies.