Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • one laptop partition filling up ..how to get files stored on other?
  • kaiser
    Free Member

To sort this :
    need a idiot’s guide please ..simple as possible
    thanks in advance

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Find the files, Cut then Paste
    Select the ones to move then right click on the folder hit cut, right click on a window for the other drive then right click paste

scaredypants

what version of windows ?
    google for how to move libraries/documents or something similar and you should find a guide – I think “they” say it’s better to move the library than just C&P as then windows permanently changes the internal links

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Stoner
    Free Member

You’ll probably find your WINXS folder is about 80Gb. 😯

Got fed up of that shit years ago.

Bin the lot and go chromebook 🙂

hot_fiat

Right-click your “Documents” (win 8 or above) or “my Documents” (Win 7 or below) folder

Select properties

Click on the location tab

Click on move

Browse to a folder or location on the d: drive. Windoze does the rest.

you can do the same with My pictures and My music.

If yer handy you can do it for %programfiles% as well.

kaiser
    Free Member

Thanks for the help …it’s windows 7 btw

AlexSimon

Yep I needed to do this as soon as I bought an SSD for the C drive.
    What hot_fiat said works superbly.

Olly
    Free Member

Why is it partitioned?

just makes the hard drive have to work harder (or so i understand it)
    Boot into a linux live disk and use it to expand the windows partition into the (all but) empty D drive.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

need a idiot’s guide please ..simple as possible
    thanks in advance

so

Boot into a linux live disk and use it to expand the windows partition into the (all but) empty D drive.

🙄

cranberry
    Free Member

So you don’t have any concerns about the 8Gb of data that is on the D: drive that you’ve just told the OP to destroy without checking what it was or if it was backed up ??

cranberry
    Free Member

Run disk cleanup first, then you can move the My Doc/music/photos directories.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/8fef4121-711b-4be1-996f-99e02c7301c2/disk-cleanup-in-windows-10

Olly
    Free Member

Clearly the “why is it partitioned” queries that. Without that information there isn’t much point in going into detail as to how to expand the partition, but it does point out that it can be done for an op who may not know. Depending on what the 8gb is changes what you might want to do with it and whether one might want to keep it or move it over to the new single partition. Of course you knew this already, but when did that stop a STWer getting their knickers in a bunch for dramatic effect.

kaiser
    Free Member

I didn’t partition it ..the laptop came like that .

Cougar

The salient point here is,

“(or so i understand it)”

You don’t.

Olly
    Free Member

Kaiser, Plenty of info only on the pros and cons of partitioning.
    Never been a fan of partitioning a single drive myself. Causes more trouble than its worth, if you are worried about data recovery just get second drive, internal or external depending on your system, but a USB external drive is easiest.

A partition can speed up a drive depending on what the data is, an how you use it, but windows does a better job if left alone. (It is more likely just to extend the distance the read head has to travel between data)

Lots of info online about removing partitions. If you want to keep the 8gb you will need to work with that. Either increase the C:/ to give you enough space to copy the files across from the D:/, before then expanding the C:/ again into the remaining space.
    That or just copy the files over to some secondary storage while you remove D:/ (a 32GB thumb USB drive is pretty cheap these days).

As above, you can redirect MyDocs to D:/, Clearly everything then has to be in MyDocs, which wont work if you are someone who stores all their stuff on your desktop, or programs are storing things in their own folders.

Cougar

Do what hot_fiat said. Windows will follow the redirect automagically. For what you’ve said in the OP it’s far and away the best option.

You could repartition it, but it’s fiddly, risky and pointless. If you were flattening it and rebuilding from scratch I’d say it’s absolutely the best option on a modern system, but for something that’s already running it’s best left alone.

Imho etc etc, IANAohwaityesIam.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘one laptop partition filling up ..how to get files stored on other?’ is closed to new replies.