Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • one guide to rule them all….possible?
  • tymbian
    Free Member

I’m thinking of running a Bionicon v2 chain-guide only after having to retire my Superstar components chain-keeper after 2 years of service. It never really was a fit n forget solution so I’m hoping the Bionicon will suffice on my 1 x 9 BFe.

Any thoughts? Am I better served with something else or even a top & bottom guide combined?

jam-bo

E13 xcx. The superstar guide is a very poor imitation.

steveoath
    Free Member

What about these new fangled chainrings that are supposed to help retain the chain? Wolf tooth components, raceface narrow wide, works components. There are probably more too….

tymbian
    Free Member

^^ do they work?

Are they 9 speed compatible?

Northwind

thick/thin chainring is better than a chain device in my experience, but I can’t promise 9-speed compatability, mine has only been used with 10. In theory it should work fine though.

tymbian
    Free Member

Northwind which one do you have?

Northwind

Works Components one… Nice bit of kit.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

for guides E-13 does it very well.

sam42
    Free Member

Works components alternating profile ring works fine with 9spd, I use one with a Paul chainkeeper up top and a home-made bionicon-a-like underneath, works pretty well but I’ve not really given it a thorough testing yet…

toys19
    Free Member

I have a Blackspire DER on my BFe ,no moving parts v light (150g) and never fails.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/blackspire-der-guide-chainguide-2013/rp-prod81181?ModelID=81181

njee20
    Free Member

Having had a Superstar one for a couple of years and recently changed to an E.13 XCX I can confirm it is light years better.

However… Thick thin ring has to be worth a consideration. Will work fine on 9 speed, but can’t say how well they’ll work without a clutch mech.

donal
    Free Member

Can’t comment on the superstar guide. Have been using the E13 XCX for a couple of weeks now and it is working great with a clutch mech. I am using it with an ISCG adaptor which makes adjusting chainline a little easier if needed. However, the chainline was perfect without any shims between the backplate and the ISCG adaptor. It is very solid and very well built (as you would expect for the price).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘one guide to rule them all….possible?’ is closed to new replies.