Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • One for Volvo/Ford 1.6D owners…help required on verge of purchase!
  • Waderider
    Free Member

The turbo on 1.6D Fords of a certain era is prone to lunching itself if enghine oil is poor quality or services are skipped. This is apparently down to blocking of the oil pickup pipe and gauze in the car sump, diminishing oil flow to the turbine.

Does anyone know if this applies to Volvo C30 1.6D, specifically this one?

If it does, what should I budget for dropping the sump and doing the necessary preventative work?

Thanks in advance car geeks.

hora
    Free Member

Personally if I hadnt run that engine from new I’d choose a different engine.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Yah but thAt paranoid attitudes got you in a rented c1

Check service history – any anomalys or missing entries walk.

Itll be what ever an oil service costs at your local plus an extra hour minutes + gauze and sump gasket most likely

That volvo has the same 1.6 engine

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

Great engine, not that many go wrong as above if service history’s good buy it change the oil for fully syth 5/30 and relax. If very para pay someone to drop the sump and change the gauze

hora
    Free Member

C1? Back to a Subaru Forester in March 8)

Buy diesel pay twice. Buy petrol and what you pay at the pumps is the final price 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

Your doing diesel wrong and listening to too many scare storys

Personally subarus propensity to rot out rear arches worries me more than a 1.6 psa engine

Inbred456
    Free Member

Says the man who isn’t looking at a 1k plus bill for any multitude of diesel related maladies. Buy new and get rid at 3yrs or 60k or buy petrol.

singlecrack
    Free Member

That 1.6d engine is in the bmw mini as well isn’t it …?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Your right. – both my diesel cars are not broken – one at 82k the other at 95( although speedo only works intermittantly so probably done alot more)

I had a couple of petrol cars once – went back to diesels as the petrol engines all failed to list headgasket change at about 80 k in the service instructions ……

Alot of diesel related troubles are from 2 things – salesman selling the wrong car – diesels should never have been sold to little old granny going to shops on sunday. And 2 – users not reading the manual / having no mechanical sympathy.

Singlecrack see list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_DLD_engine

properbikeco
    Free Member

VAG 1.8T engine also had a habit of doing this

properbikeco
    Free Member

VAG 1.8T engine also had a habit of doing this

singlecrack
    Free Member

Thanks trai_rat …..that’s what I thought ……it’s in my berlingo van ….I think it’s an excellent little engine ….always surprises me with its pickup and power ……and the fuel consumption is amazing …..

Funny how most of the failure story’s come from Ford …….maybe a different service schedule perhaps ?

maccruiskeen

Funny how most of the failure story’s come from Ford …….maybe a different service schedule perhaps ?

Probably just more fords out there. Theres also an issue of the different manufacturers giving slightly different service advice in regards to oil, some don’t detail the oil type accurately enough – omitting the low ash / low SAPS info and just giving the grade

br
    Free Member

More likely a different type of owner.

tthew

To answer the original question, my local garage charged £150 for the sump drop and clean, turbo supply and return pipe clean, flush, oil and filter. Worth it for the peace of min, and reportedly it was all nice and clean anyway.

Will be a DIY oil and filter change at a maximum of 10k miles from now on, as recommended by chrisdiesel of this parish.

Coyote
    Free Member

I’ve got a 1.6 Volvo V50, non turbo. Just hit 70K+ and the problems started. EGR valve was replaced after going into limp mode. Several more limp mode incidents and the fuel filter had to be replaced as well. Thankfully it’s a company car so I never saw the bill. Wouldn’t have been very happy if I had. There’s a 3 year / 60,000 mile warranty. Car was under 3 years but over 60,000 when the problems started. Up until this I was very happy with the car, delighted even. Not so sure now.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Was it serviced on the milage or just once a year ?

Egr valve replaced – let me guess was it a dealer ? Decoking most egrs is a dirty but fairly easy job ( dont know your engine) but dealers to love to replace them.

They do get minging though – done mine on both engines – wear disposable gloves and coveralls if you like your house at all!

Coyote
    Free Member

Company car. On mileage.

Waderider
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies. I bought a petrol.

Too hard to find a 1.6D with full Volvo service history to mitigate turbo failure risk. Also would be a ball-ache to get the sump drop + associated gubbins done. All my research and one friends personal experience backed up the negative comments here on diesels.

They used to be reliable, now they seem so complex in old age they are a liability. Cost of Elosys top up at 37.5K miles / DPF at 75K, risk of turbo failure, exposure to perhaps small risk of fuel pump failure etc.

Still, good luck to those with a modern diesel for whom it works out. Perkins Prima FTW etc., as the kids say.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘One for Volvo/Ford 1.6D owners…help required on verge of purchase!’ is closed to new replies.