Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • One for those that might like "real" mountain biking…
  • druidh
    Free Member

Following consultations with mountaineering organisations, The Nevis Partnership has completed work on the relocation of the line of stone cairns that traditionally marked the path over the summit plateau of the UK’s highest mountain, Ben Nevis.

The relocated cairns now mark the recognised compass bearings that are used by walkers and climbers to navigate off the summit, avoiding the snow cornices that fringe the edge of the mountain’s north-east facing corries. The cairns are almost six feet/1.8 metres in height and are spaced at 50 metre intervals.

boxelder

Hmmmmmm
    Wish they'd just removed them altogether.

downshep

Unspoiled wilderness is always appealing but they're quite handy for walkists keen to reach the summit / avoid the abyss. The Ben is quite a funny hill in that the 'tourist' path gives no hint of the rather large **** off cliffs a few yards to the north once you've got a bit of height. The cairns have probably saved a few lives over the years. Best to leave 'em be.

RepacK
    Free Member

Yep to remove them would just cause problems – Ive never been on that route but know it by reputation. Now I know my way around a map & a compass & feel pretty confident about my navigation skills but in a hoolie Id still be keeping an eye out for those bad boys.. 😉

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘One for those that might like "real" mountain biking…’ is closed to new replies.