• This topic has 12 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by kilo.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • One for the wine experts!
  • kilo

Bought a cheap bottle of red wine, from a major supermarket, to cook with tonight. Got it home, cooking stew, unscrewed top and wine started started spraying all over the place. After recapping it and clearing up I put some in a glass and it was minging, fizzy and a bit like soda water . Any clues on what would cause this?

sam_underhill

Sugar in the wine causing secondary fermentation. I think you have just created champagne!

I’m no wine expert btw.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Have you bought this?

scaredypants

how close to the hob had the bottle been ?

tomhoward

unscrewed top

Urgh. Philistine…

kilo

how close to the hob had the bottle been ?

Nowhere near

Sugar in the wine causing secondary fermentation. I think you have just created champagne!

not the best champagne I’ve tasted

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

There are quite a few taints that can make red wine fizzy, never known one be very explosive though.
    Also nothing wrong with screwcaps. Unless you’re a cork producer.

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

…does mean your wine was a bit shit though. Spend more next time.

Stu_N

Some sort of secondary fermentation going on. Almost all wine has a bit of sugar in it but if it’s got some sort of yeast or bacteria in it it will referment and go fizzy. Don’t drink it – could have all sorts in it.

Take it back, they will probably refund you.

kiwijohn

A dry red will have less than a gram per litre. To be that fizzy it would need more than 10.
    Malolactic fermentation could also be going on.
    Filtration before bottling should remove nearly all yeast & bacteria involved & Sulfur should clean up the rest.
    All yeast & bacteria involved are pretty harmless.

rugbydick

Are you sure you didn’t somehow purchase a bottle of sparkling red?
    It’s a real thing. I’ve had a bottle. It was rubbish.

fourbanger
    Free Member

A sparkling red can be nice with some Parma ham, when the sun is out. Pretty low alcohol too, so good when you’ve got to ride. Usually comes with a champagne style cork though.

kilo

This is the wine in question, nasty fizzy sh**e

Waitrose have said they will look into it, cba’ed to take it back as I go to waitrose as infrequently as possible

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘One for the wine experts!’ is closed to new replies.