Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • One for the whisky snobs
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

In your face, Scotchland!

*Disclosure – Have never tried this particular Yamazaki, but their 12 is perhaps my favourite current whisky.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

What’s it like with lemonade?

northernmatt

Nearly got a bottle of Yamazaki t’other day but got shouted down by the missus who said no more than £30 (she was buying) so ended up with 14yo Glenfiddich Rich Oak, I so nearly got Penderyn but was in Edinburgh so though may as well get proper scotch-ish stuff.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m a snob, I prefer Swedish Whisky 😛

hilldodger
    Free Member

To add insult to injury, not a single Scotch managed to make the final five shortlist….

😆

Cougar

I so nearly got Penderyn

Is it any good these days?

I tried it when it first came out and my overriding impression was that it’ll be good when it’s finished, but now they seem to want silly money for it.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

$97 a bottle here. Not that bad. Reckon I’ll persuade the missus into a bottle for Christmas drinkies.

46 quid on Amazon? How long have they been selling booze??

northernmatt

Not too sure. I have heard good things about it but I am yet to try it. I was in a green coloured supermarket at the time and it was £35.

chakaping
    Free Member

Is it any good these days?

I tried it when it first came out and my overriding impression was that it’ll be good when it’s finished, but now they seem to want silly money for it.

Yeah it’s nice. Was very thin when I first tried it, more like a good vodka than a whisky.

Had a bottle last year though and it’s very pleasant with a bit of wood.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

It’s gotta be a load of bollocks, experts were involved!

northernmatt

Had a bottle last year though and it’s very pleasant with a bit of wood

Prefer ice myself

Kuco

I had a bottle of Yamazaki 18 year old last year and wasn’t that impressed with it.

hot_fiat

Got some Hibiki 12 for my birthday. It’s amazing. I just love the idea that they’ve turned the whole single malt thing upside down – take 5 or 6 singles, treat them as singles for 12 years and then blend them together at the end. Bonkers and perhaps heretical but the results are stunning.

BruiseWillies
    Free Member

This stuff goes well with Rola-Cola or Panda cola;
    https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-16905.aspx

northernmatt

Flippin’ heck! I first read that as £150 but £150000 is just mental.

It also looks like something a premiership footballer would have attached to the front of their Range Rover.

BruiseWillies
    Free Member

You’d never drink it!
    Imagine cracking it open and it’s rough as a badgers balloon knot….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So tips for when I drop through duty free Saturday morning? I was hoping to find a nant in there but Lagavulin is top choice, which Japanese is peaty?

hot_fiat

Not the Hibiki – it’s like the best Speyside.

CountZero

I have a bottle of 12yo Yamazaki, given to me by a mate for my 60th. He buys it himself, and rates it highly, and he also buys a good few scotches, too.
    Fond of Woodfords Burbon, too; damn fine stuff!

tillydog
    Free Member

I tried the Yamazaki 12 & 18 last week. The 12 was much better IMHO.

Hibiki was very good, too.

“So tips for when I drop through duty free Saturday morning? I was hoping to find a nant in there but Lagavulin is top choice, which Japanese is peaty? “

I like peaty, and I like the Hakushu. YMMV.

(No bargains in “Duty Free” that I saw – cheaper in the supermarket).

wanmankylung
    Free Member

One of the men mentioned and quoted within that article is on here but often keeps out of whisky threads.

ninfan
    Free Member

I’m sorry, but its quite clear that Whisky has now jumped the shark in the most shark jumpingly possible way

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaMuQPmzrrU[/video]

Cougar

So tips for when I drop through duty free Saturday morning?

I’d be getting a Highland Park 16 myself, as it’s the only place you can get it.

Fond of Woodfords Burbon, too; damn fine stuff!

Might I respectfully suggest you sample Maker’s Mark at your earliest convenience? You’ll never buy Woodford Reserve again.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Might I respectfully suggest you sample Maker’s Mark Pappy Van Winkle at your earliest convenience? You’ll never buy Woodford Reserve again.

FTFY, Cougs. 😉

I’m sorry, but its quite clear that Whisky has now jumped the shark in the most shark jumpingly possible way

Not just waterskiing, but wakeboard, riding switch and busting out a massive railey air of a shark jump. At night. Blindfolded.

ninfan
    Free Member

Its probably also fair to say that in that chodtastic advert, David et al have managed to demonstrate the Shark jumpingness of:

Scotland
    Vintage Aston Martin
    The LR Defender
    waxed jackets
    classic motorbikes
    Leather courier bags
    facial hair
    bow ties
    Smoking jackets

for shame!

Moses

The car’s an MG innit??

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator
    Might I respectfully suggest you sample Maker’s Mark at your earliest convenience? You’ll never buy Woodford Reserve again.

Woah woah woah, I can’t let talk like that go unanswered! I much preferred Woodford Reserve to Maker’s Mark so if you just admit you got confused I’ll let it go this once… 😉

grum
    Free Member

Not tried the one mentioned in the OP but I’ve been distinctly underwhelmed by Yamazaki – I think it was the 12 that I’ve had.

jamj1974

Had a bottle last year though and it’s very pleasant with a bit of wood

That good? I’ve never enjoyed a drink that much…

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Bourbon every time.

Knob Creek

Rowans Creek

Noahs Mill

For crying out loud, end of bourbon discussion ^^^^

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘One for the whisky snobs’ is closed to new replies.