Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • One for the TV/AV squad – HDMI cable issue
  • woody2000

I have a Sony bluray player and a Freesat box both connected by (different) HDMI cables. T’other day, the bluray stopped outputting a picture – you get the boot splash screen, then nothing.

Swapped the cables round, I get full operation back on the bluray, and picture but no sound on the freesat box. Bought a new cable assuming the old one was faulty, but I get exactly the same symptoms with the new one. Have tried the other HDMI ports on the TV but it makes no difference.

Before I buy another cable, anything I might have missed? No firmware updates or anything recently so not a software issue. Stumped!

nickjb
    Free Member

Did you buy a cheap cable? In theory it should make little difference over a short run but in reality some cables are better than others.

alfabus
    Free Member

I’ve got a sony bluray player, which I used via HDMI.

The connections are really dodgy – my picture and sound will drop out and *maybe* come back again. Sometimes it takes a good few minutes of wiggling the connector to get it to come back to life again.

Not impressed, and I don’t know who to be angry at. Have I got dodgy cables, or is Sony’s fault?

Dave

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    woody2000

Neither cable was particularly cheap nickjb (not 99p cheap anyway), but not massively expensive either (the replacement ws £10, original was about the same). I wouldn’t expect the new cable to display the same symptoms though, cheap or otherwise.

Hadn’t thought to wiggle the cables to be honest; as the units are static, I don’t see how the connections could change/break really. Hmmm….

nealglover
    Free Member

Did you buy a cheap cable? In theory it should make little difference over a short run but in reality some cables are better than others.

In what way ?

Other than build quality, I can see how they can be.

samuri
    Free Member

I’ve always found HDMI to be sensitive to be honest.
    Particularly around sound. No idea why.

for example, when I was testing my Raspberry PI I used the cable from my XBOX which has always worked fine. No sound.
    new cable, works fine on both. It’s consistently no sound with this cable on the raspberry but looking at the connectors there’s nothing obviously out of place.

I’ve also had plenty of wiggle issues too with our V+ box and the telly downstairs.

woody2000

I should add that the cable that works fine on both units is the cheapo freeby that came with the freesat box. I’ll have to try the wiggle test tonight, see if that helps.

mickyfinn
    Free Member

Samsung TV?
    I found Samsung TV’s have real HDCP handshake problems with Sony kit. sometime the turn on sequence can be a deal breaker. Do you have an AV amp in between the TV and the Boxes?

woody2000

Nope, cheap Hannspree telly. Everything connected directly, nothing in between.

geoffj

Cable fitted the right way around?

woody2000

geoff – are you pulling my leg? 🙂

geoffj

geoff – are you pulling my leg?

😉

but then again – http://www.avforums.com/forums/hdmi-cables-switches/832364-directional-hdmi-cable.html

damo2576
    Free Member

In what way ?

Other than build quality, I can see how they can be.

Signal attenuation. Poor quality conductor, greater attenuation, more chance of loss over a longer run. But it’s digital! Yep, that’s still a signal being either 1 or 0 and one that depends on many millions of them being received in the right time and order.

As the poster said, cheap cables seem fine on short runs – but I’ve seen issues myself on 3m+ runs (quite common with a projector).

samuri
    Free Member

Plus if the telly is higher than the Blueray box the zero’s get there faster because one’s weigh more.

(Awaits someone to produce evidence that zero’s are heavier)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘One for the TV/AV squad – HDMI cable issue’ is closed to new replies.