Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • One for the true geek / bike shop owner / collector of tools
  • simonlovesrocks
    Free Member

I need to tension an old wheel but the nipples are not standard ones they are as bellow, LBS had no idea….

Anyone on here have an idea

http://trutechmfg.com/spline60big.jpg

bananaworld
    Free Member

Hmmmm, looks a bit like Spinergy nipples to me. I had a tool (or two, cos there were two different sizes) to do them, years ago, might still be in my parents' garage…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Just jump into a time machine. Came with pineapple hubs?

Or alternatively replace them with normal ones.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    SpokesCycles
    Free Member

We've got a tool for that. It's been sat in the truing stand for ages. Sadly can't send it you, the boss'd kill me.

martinxyz
    Free Member

splinedrive.ive got a tool here and i know a few others with them as well.i think ison distributed them about 10 years ago. i built open pro on dura ace and rode them thru a few winters and expected them to be crumbling but the rinsing down of the wheels was good enough to keep them in great condition. a normal dt alloy nipple would have been dust after 2 years! great to build with.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Spline drive . . . they do feature on the website that time forgot that is Bike Pro – http://www.bikepro.com/ad_copy/tools.html -no idea where you'd pick one up from now though.

cookeaa

Like just about all spokes they do seem to be slotted at the back, any LBS wrench monkey worth their salt should be able to work out how to operate a flat bladed screwdriver I'd have thought….

househusband
    Free Member

Just wondering… the other end of the Park SW-13 tool I use for Mavic FORE nipple sockets looks as if it may fit?

Park SW-13

martinxyz
    Free Member

Theres 2 diff types of spline drive spoke keys. the 3d version is the easiest to use and the alloy one is fine to carry around on rides.

simonlovesrocks
    Free Member

So my options are

1) Tension it from the back

2) Post it to Dundee so spokes cycles can true it for me

3) Someone lets me buy their old one so I can do it myself properly

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

some motorbikes and some old car wheels use splined nipples. worth a try?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘One for the true geek / bike shop owner / collector of tools’ is closed to new replies.