Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • One for the STW witch doctors? Overly runny nose
  • allthegear
    Free Member

Over the last few months, I’ve been finding that when I ride hard, I’m getting a really runny nose. It’s starting to get ridiculous now!!

I’ve not got a cold or had one in at least a month. I know that I’m taking some medications at the moment but I don’t think it’s another weird side-effect…

Ideas?

Rachel

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Drac

Your nose can run during exercise and the weather has been cool of late.

WTFU!

allthegear
    Free Member

Thanks Darcy – it’s getting that way!!!

IanMunro
    Free Member

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5778272/exerciseinduced_rhinitis_what_is_it.html

My nose always runs when I exercise. I always assumed it was the default position, until I noticed other people didn’t have a continuous stream of snot. Seems to be worst when I start and then ease off a bit after an hour or so.

allthegear
    Free Member

Ah – I like the article – it does sound familiar…

It sounds worthwhile looking into.

Thanks

Rachel

Drac

I wouldn’t worry about it, I get it too but same as Ian wears off fairly quickly. Suppose it’s not very lady like to do the snot launch though with one finger on a nostril.

allthegear
    Free Member

No, it’s not that ladylike. Didn’t stop me today, though…

🙂

Rachel

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Bleuuurrgrhhhh 😡

oldgit
    Free Member

I have to constantly press a nostril and blow out the other whilst riding. I’ve always assumed it was heat build up in the body playing against the cold air. Like nasal condensation.

Drac

No, it’s not that ladylike. Didn’t stop me today, though…

/swoon

andyl46
    Free Member

I have chronic rhinitis, roughly translated my nose runs continuously. The only thing that helps me are nasal steroid sprays, Beconase or Nasonex. See your GP, they will be able to help.

ginsterdrz
    Free Member

It’s not unusual amongst cyclists. I have read an article in one of the mags stating it’s to do with increased pressure/wind/airborne rubbish being rammed up your snoz. Don’t worry about it. Have you ever copped when you were hot sweaty and cycling anyway? Probably not!

Drac

Don’t want to be rude but seeing a GP for having a runny nose when riding a bike is complete waste of their time.

allthegear
    Free Member

Drac – it’s not the fact of a runny nose – it’s the fact that it seems to be getting worse. I always thought it was a good thing to consult about worsening issues before they were out of control??

But I do appreciate what you are saying – hence me asking on here rather than wasting time in the surgery (with all the ill people…)

Rachel

jonb
    Free Member

ITs why they put the towel material on the thumbs of gloves?

Drac

Is it causing you any issues other than being very annoying?

Do you notice any shortness of breath while it’s happening, leading up to or after.

In all honesty it sounds like just irritated nasal membranes from cold air, dust and moisture. I’d not be concerned.

allthegear
    Free Member

That’s cool – I’m okay with it (so long as everyone else doesn’t mind!!)

Rachel

Tiger6791

Have you tried running after it?

IGMC…

Drac

Just make sure they’re not in the line of fire when you launch one.

emsz
    Free Member

Mine runs when I cycle, but never when I’m running.

I just put up with it, and carry tissues.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You girls and your dirty noses 😡

allthegear
    Free Member

(feels slightly embarrassed I never take tissues now…)

emsz
    Free Member

Bit more ladylike* than wiping your nose with your glove.

* not that I’m particularly ladylike anyway, but everytime I use my glove, I can hear my mum tutting. 😆

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You can add the sound of me tutting ya snivelly mucky pup. 🙂

Drac

Let it run down to you top lip and then lick.

emsz
    Free Member

Eeeuuuuwww, Drac!

😆

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

*Faints*

allthegear
    Free Member

emsz – my mum tuts at me all the time now – I’m not sure a bit of a runny nose would surprise her any more!!!
    🙄

Rachel

allthegear
    Free Member

mind you – this is the same mum that when I came out, asked if I would still be going cycling???

Parents!!!

Rachel

Drac

Why are people grossed out, your body has loads of mucus membranes you swallow it all the time.

emsz
    Free Member

mind you – this is the same mum that when I came out, asked if I would still be going cycling???

LOLing.

I blurted it out, she more or less said “Yes dear, that’s nice”

Bless

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Hmmm do you find that apart from the runny nose, your feet smell too?

allthegear
    Free Member

Yes dear, that’s nice

I love that – I’m imagining it in the voice of June Whitfield from Terry & June…

Oh – and Charlie – of course my feet don’t smell!!! 8)

Rachel

cinnamon_girl

Disgusting! Reminds me of my days in the running club, as well as snotty noses we had to contend with spitting and heaven help if you were in the wrong place! Reckon I lost all my inhibitions there, can’t believe some of the things I did. 😯

Baggy shorts with lots of pockets to stuff with tissues or a lace hankie. Might ride bikes but do behave like a woman apart from my occasional choice language 🙄

Maintain decorum at all costs. 🙂

Drac

Reckon I lost all my inhibitions there, can’t believe some of the things I did.

I’m listening.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Oh – and Charlie – of course my feet don’t smell!!

Ok, just checking. Once I had a running nose and feet that smelled, eventually went to the doctor who identified that I was upside down

allthegear
    Free Member

LOLOL – No – It can’t be that as I’ve been warned off running for a year or two. I have a prolapsed disc…

cinnamon_girl

Well of course in those days I was a lot younger and skinny and regularly stripped off in public car parks for cross country races/peeing in the bushes for said cross country races (no loos) and realising there’s blokes peeing a few feet away. Everyone else did the same and you certainly weren’t aware that anyone was watching.

Did strip off in a bus shelter once, along with male and female buddies. Entertained the passing traffic!

Which reminds me – I seem to remember some sort of over-the-head gown thingy being advertised, supposedly made changing clothes easy. Anyone remember it?

allthegear
    Free Member

isn’t it called a bin bag??

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘One for the STW witch doctors? Overly runny nose’ is closed to new replies.