Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • One for the STW armchair insurance experts?
  • Sqwubbsy
    Free Member

Hi all.

My wife reversed into a parked car (Ford Ka) today, denting the door. I’ve not seen the damage yet but my wife says it’s not too bad. Problem is that the old dear that owns the dented car is trying to insist that the repair goes through the insurance. I’d rather try and get a quote first and pay for it myself if possible. She’s saying she’s had a quote already and it will cost £950 to fix but that sounds way OTT.

Anyway, can I insist on getting the repair done privately or do I have to abide by her request and stick it through the insurance? I’d at least like the chance to get my own quote first.

Any advice/experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Keith.

MoreCashThanDash

What you actually need is a bodywork expert, to tell you if the quote is kosher. It would be nice if she would let you get an alternative quote, but it’s her car.

Insurance wise, it is illegal to fail to give your details after an accident. If she won’t let you deal with it privately, you are stuffed.

MCTD
    ACII, (ArmChair Institute of Insurance)
    (ret’d)

geoffj

Reverse the roles – what would be easiest for you if someone smashed into your car?
    Let insurance deal with it, you will have to declare it anyway.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Same thing happened to me last year I bumped some one from behind, minor damage ie I got repair quotes of £400 etc.

Unfortunately as above though legally you have to tell the insurance co.

Just shows what a con car insurance is though.

Mrs FD and I have 2 cars with 10+ years protected NCD. Mrs FD insurance has just come up for renewal and because of this 1 claim the cost has gone up roughly £100.

With 2 cars thats £200 per year for at least 3 years so at least £600 in total, just for a £400 claim. Robbing chuffing insurance b@stards 😈

Sqwubbsy
    Free Member

Hmm, so far it sounds like an insurance job.

Another questions then, stupidly don’t have protected NCB. Do you lose the lot after a small scale bump(70% ish) or does it drop by say 20%?

Ta.

geoffj

You shouldn’t lose it all IME.

MoreCashThanDash

It’s nearly 20 years ago since I did motor claims work, in those days you lost the equivalent of 2 years for the first accident, probably changed sice then, gone decimal, no longer in black and white…..

bruneep

Will you provide her with a loan car when her car is in for repair if you pay it yourself?

I had similar situation guy wanted to pay for it private ment me being without car for almost 2 wks he refused to pay for courtesy car hire so I told him to do it via the insurance co.

project
    Free Member

Tell your wife what mirrors are for and possibly point them out to her, 😯 ➡ and explain in man talk how to reverse into a space and not reverse out, as visibility from the sides is usually limited.

Just imagine if there was a child behind her car………..

oh and as above are you going to pay for a courtesy car for the damaged cars owner while hers is off the road.

Sqwubbsy
    Free Member

I would have looked into hire car as part of pricing doing it private.

I’ve been to see the old lady and she’s insisted on insurance so that’s the way we have to go. She says she’s been quoted £360 for new door, £270 labour, £220 other parts plus some other bits and pieces. Think I’m in the wrong game!

Oh, and project I’ve pointed out the mirrors and reverse parking thing loads before. Maybe now she’ll listen.

mbl1
    Free Member

It is completely up to this woman how she goes about getting her car repaired. Just tell you own insurer and let them deal with it all. Its why you buy insurance…so you dont have to worry about all the mucking about.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘One for the STW armchair insurance experts?’ is closed to new replies.