Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • One for the spoke experts.
  • bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Currently running a pair of 27.5 Hope Hoops (Enduro Tech rims on Pro4s) and want to swap the rims for Flow mk3s.

Will I get away with using the same spokes or will I need new ones?

Thanks.

stevied
    Free Member

Tech Enduro rims ERD = 562mm (Hope)
    Flow Mk3 ERD = 567mm (Stans)

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Thanks Steve, but if I’m honest I don’t know if that’s good or bad?

nickjb
    Free Member

Ideally you’ll need spokes that are about 2mm longer. If your current spokes are already slightly too long then they’ll be fine, if they are already a little on the short side then they’ll be worse in the new rims. Borderline IMO so you need to put the numbers into a calculator and measure the spokes you have

benpinnick

Put them into a spoke call as suggested, but if they are within a few mm you might be able to source only new nipples (hopes use 12mm equivalents but they go up to 16mm fairly commonly). That would be a lot cheaper than new spokes. What I can say is hopes aren’t long spoked, so no you can’t use what you have right now with no adjustments.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Thanks lads, much appreciated.

The only thing I’m not capable of is wheels so it will be left to my wheel builder, I’m just trying to weigh up costs beforehand.

Any particular nipple/spoke brand I should go for?

Thanks again.

kayak23

Why are you wanting to swap out of interest?
    I’m just building up a set of Hope Tech enduro rims, and they seem pretty good like.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

The Flows are wider and slightly lighter than the Hopes and fancied giving them a go.

I’ve dinged my rear Hope a few times now on the same stuff my old Flows used to be happy with (same tyres/pressures). Reasonably happy with the Hopes but fancy a change.

dovebiker

If the existing nipples are 12mm, then 14mm ones should see you sorted – but I’d look at using DT or Sapim brass nipples for reliability. You wheelbuilder should be able to advise – nipples will be 10p each whereas spokes typically 50p+

jamesoz

I’m about to rebuild my dinged up Hope Enduro rims and the older Stans Flow ex that were half price at Merlin have the same ERD as The Hope Enduros. Only just looked at the delivery but for a start they look easier to tape.

mboy
    Free Member

nipples will be 10p each whereas spokes typically 50p+

When was the last time you had some new wheels built? 🙄

Double those costs, and remember to add the labour… But yes, new nipples will be cheaper than new spokes. If current nipples are 12mm then you can probably just replace with 14mm for the difference in ERD.

That said, how old are the wheels? How much abuse have they had so far? Spokes have an elastic limit and a cycle life, if either have been approached then there’s no point in reusing them as they’ll start to snap very quickly!

jamesoz

If they’re anything like mine the spokes will have more life left than the rims. The only rim I’ve ever dented at Swinley forest.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

The wheels are only a few months old, no 60 foot gap jumps just the usual stuff.

My old Flows lasted over two years of rocky riding and I only replaced them when I folded the front one hitting a tree head on (luckily I went one side of the tree where bike stopped dead).

scotroutes

I get spokes from Rose Bikes at around 30-35p each.

dovebiker

When was the last time you had some new wheels built?

Last month, a pair of 90mm carbon fatbike wheels – I build my own wheels, have done for 15+ year and don’t go to my LBS for parts. I often buy Sapim and DT from Germany because they can guarantee stock and not get gouged by UK prices.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘One for the spoke experts.’ is closed to new replies.