• This topic has 12 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by MSP.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • One for the runners
  • rascal
    Free Member

Need a (quite literally) fast-track way of getting from being a virtual non-runner to being fit enough to do a 12 mile off-road run on 10 Nov – http://www.hellrunner.co.uk/hell-down-south/ – that’s 13 weeks! Agreed to do it after a few too many ales a few months back – damn Peroni.

I live a mile away from lots of hilly-ish woodland paths etc so want to get used to that as opposed to road. Tried road running for a while after Christmas following a very gentle intro programme but that was 6 months ago and only lasted 5 weeks 😕

Obviously I’ll still want to bike on the weekends so something that gets me up to speed allowing for biking would be good.

I know there’s a few runners on here so any pointers would be good.

Cheers

MrPottatoHead

Peroni is a lager, not an ale. That’s the best advice I can give.

NHS Running Guide would get you going from starters and then follow a guide from one of the running mags after a few weeks – Trail Running often has beginner guides.

djglover
    Free Member

look up a beginner half marathon schedule and follow the milage roughly. If you can run 9 or 10 miles 3 weeks before the race you’ll be fine

mu3266
    Free Member

Concentrate on interval training then, I had to cram a lot of running into a relatively short time frame as I got shin splints while preparing for the mil. Interval training was a great way to get some quick gains.

*Obviously not a professional runner, so heed at your own risk.

AngusWells

The key is in not doing too much too soon. 9 weeks isn’t long to go from zero, although I assume you have some endurance fitness from cycling. The mistake a lot of folk make is to try and run every day when starting from scratch. Much better to run no more than twice a week in the first two weeks and then up it to three for the next three weeks. You should know by then if you can manage more.

Keep the runs steady. You’ll get more benefit from being able to run at a sustained pace, even if you think you have something in reserve, than pushing on too hard and blowing up on every run.

Basically, take your time and don’t be over ambitious and you should do it.

Edit: this is contrary to the post above. I’m not a professional runner either but I am an experienced club runner. You will need some base running stamina for the distance you are doing and (not knowing what your fitness cycling levels are) I would be wary of interval training for a novice runner.

dobo
    Free Member

I’m certainly not a great runner but i’m doing a 10k brutal run this weekend and also intend on doing hellrunner.

Based on 3 days per week or every other day running, i’d try something like this.

running off road with hills on one day, not too long but hard hills or maybe hill intervals

Slow steady pace on another day trying to increase distance each week. long and easy

on another day try to get faster by doing fartlek off road or some more structured speed work like 4x800m fast efforts with breaks in between

set targets, 5k, 10k, 10 miles, 12 miles etc

cant say if this will work or not or you will reach your targets in time though..
    you should probably have a good week or 2 with slow steady runs to get into it before destroying yourself with hills and speed.

Good luck and remember we are all more capable that we think we are

try fit your cycling in around your runs.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

That’s about the time I started training before my first half marathon earlier this year. I could run maybe a couple of miles at the beginning before I was breathing out of my ass.

I just did a 10k one night a week and a longer run at the weekend. I only ran one half marathon distance run before the real thing. Ended up getting a 1.38 which I thought was pretty good for a non-runner. Based purely on my non-expert experience I would say 2 runs a week is enough training, which seems to tie in with what angus wells is saying.

On another note, went out last night after a couple of months of not doing much and I think I’m pretty much back at square one now 🙁

jono84
    Free Member

Angus wells pretty much summed up exactly what i would say take it easy an dont over do it on the pace at first. … I do a bit of club running an enjoy the competition over short distances its hard work compared to cycling similar distances tho! !!!

cynic-al
    Free Member

KTC sounds most sensible to me. No way would I do intervals if you’re not used to running. You’re not going to get fit in that time, just kind of get your body used to running, a bit.

maxray
    Free Member

Kenneththecurtain, after a 2month lay off I went back to it this morning and you are right! It was pretty tough.

BristolPablo
    Free Member

I wouldnt worry too much, from experience of similar events, unless you are one of the keeners at the front there will be a fair amount of waiting for slower people up ahead at choke-points throughout the course, you will certainly not be running at the same pace for the entire race. If there are narrow points or obstacles, scrambles, sheep dips etc you can find yourself stationary for a minute or so waiting. As others have said interval training is your best bet. if you can get to a point where you can run two 9 minute miles followed by a 10 minute mile and repeat that three times you will be fine.

rascal
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies..slightly unsure as some say do intervals, some say don’t.

Did a 25 min walk/run tonight up to and back from the woods and Jesus, running is harder work than being on a bike. Noticed a niggle on my left knee – not painful but noticeable.
    This is my first using a pair of bespoke Footbalance insoles, in the New Balance trail shoes I was running in 6 months ago. Will this be down to it being my first run for ages and not used to it, or could it be a more long term thing? Used to get knee probs, that’s why I got these insoles which are meant to work pretty well.

Shall I persevere, or jack it in? Maybe running just ain’t for me – being 14.5 stone-ish. Would like to increase fitness and do the Hellrunner, but not at the cost of pounding my legs to bits 🙂

MSP

Probably just starting niggles, you will get some aches and pains to start with, just be sensible if they seem a bit more serious or persistant.

I would recommend going out 3 or 4 times a week doing the same sort of stuff you did today for 2 or 3 weeks, to get your muscles and joints used to the movement and load bearing.

Then if your reasonably fit from cycling you should be able to increase your time spent running quite a bit more rapidly than someone starting from the couch.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘One for the runners’ is closed to new replies.