Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • One for the recruiting people
  • juan
    Free Member

I have a second interview for a job tomorrow. Crap IT jobs, but salary will almost match my post doc and it’s a permanent position. There is indeed others advantages such as the 15 minute commute (on the bike it will be shorter by car) and most important being able to stay with the SO.
    Speaking with the head of recruitment, he fears that being a Dr I won’t stay in the job, as I will find it boring. As rightful question as it is, how can I answer him that I won’t leave after 6 months?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

As rightful question as it is, how can I answer him that I won’t leave after 6 months?

Will you leave after 6 months? If not what are your reasons? those reasons will be your answer.

nickf
    Free Member

If you’re at 2nd interview stage they can’t think you’re a total duffer, and have some faith that you want to do it.

So long as you’re convinced that you want to do the job, I suggest an employer would want to hear that there’s no demand for your doctorate and it’s something you did for your own benefit.

The doctorate shows that you can stick at a task, you’re obviously highly intelligent, and as such can be thought likely to progress. The downside is perhaps that you could be seen as an iconoclastic loner who’s unused to authority; I’d suggest that you therefore stress the teamworking elements of your doctorate to the extent you can.

steveh

Talk about how the short commute and your partner are more important to you than other things? Talk about which bits of the job won’t be boring to keep you interested?

You mean how best to lie to him then?

wwaswas

Crap IT jobs

if that’s how you see it now I can see why they’re worried you’ll be leaving in 6 months…

lodious
    Free Member

if that’s how you see it now I can see why they’re worried you’ll be leaving in 6 months…

That’s a good point!

IA

Ask lots and lots of questions about the post, and the duties, work environment etc.

Then when they ask, you can say that’s why you were asking etc. and it sounds like it’s a better work/life balance for you, or similar.

If they ask first, say you’re not sure, could they answer some questions etc… then go back to say it sounds good (or crap, if you decide you don’t want the job!)

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes lieing is your friend here say it is for personal reasons re SO.
    Perhaps say the British lax attitude to work has grabbeed you and you want a low stress simpel job so you can fritter your life away on STW during work time like all your UK based pals…actually stick to the lies.

iDave
    Free Member

tell them you’re writing a book and want a piss easy job that pays the bills for the next 4 years…..

binners

At least you get the opportunity to answer. At a recent (second) interview I was informed by the MD: “If we give you this job, you’ll be bored out of your skull in a fortnight. You’re completely overqualified. I don’t think there’s much point carrying on with the interview really”

At least he was straight. Though I could have really really really done with the job at the time. Life skint on’t dole? Or not being fully ‘challenged at work? Hmmmmmmmmmmm now let me think……. 🙁

Junkyard
    Free Member

stop applyiong to MC Donalds *it aint that bad

Only job I can think of for which you would be completely overqualifed as you are at least [mainly] literate and not spotty.
    PS great Channel4 idea re Hora

binners

Thats what I mean fella. I was gutted. i’m as thick as two short planks

TO be thought of as overqualified for anything would have seemed like a dream normally. An ambition. But as I sank back into the sofa that day, flicked on Jeremy Kyle, lit another Lambert and considered going shoplifting or picking up my methadone prescription, it took the sheen off it somewhat

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘One for the recruiting people’ is closed to new replies.