Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • One for the racers – how do you deal with Race nerves/anxiety?
  • trickydisco
    Free Member

Where road races are concerned I found I really don’t deal with race nerves/anxiety very well. Every road race i’ve been in I get pre race anxiety. This starts the day before – dry throat at night, very little sleep and I can’t seem to feel relaxed.

During the race this then manifests itself into my muscles feeling like they are going to cramp during the latter stages. When it comes to the last lap and finishing my legs will feel extremely tight and i’m not able to sprint. They feel completely locked up. straight after the race my legs are fine with no tightness

Obviously when I feel relaxed I ride well. i’ve done loads of chain gang rides that have been faster and longer than most road races with loads of sprints for signs and catching breaks and never had any muscle tightness. I don’t feel any pressure so i’m relaxed and can ride very well. When it comes to race day my mind takes over and buckle under the pressure I put on myself

I’m convinced this anxiety is hindering my performance. For some reason I go into this fight or flight mode before a race and my brain picks flight!

Weirdly in cross races or TT’s i’m fine I can ride fine.

i’ve been reading lately dr timothy noakes and the central governor theory

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/3-hacking-fatigue-with-tim-noakes-plus-more-4-hour-body-fun/

http://trainingscience.net/?page_id=158

makes for interesting reading.

i’ve heard the fight or flight and anxiety response can trigger physiological and biochemical changes in the body.

So.. after this extremely lenghty post how does anyone deal with race anxiety and anything I can do to combat this (apart from popping some mdma or tramadol)

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/competition-anxiety-neednt-get-you-down-36295

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

I have a routine that I try and keep to regardless of race type/importance, by doing set things in a certain order I can create, (the illusion maybe), of everything being normal, and this not being a national or something.

Things include warm-up, numbers, food & drink choice and consumption.

MrSparkle

Drink!

trickydisco
    Free Member

Also I think the reason i do well in cross races is because it’s less about the other competitors. In road races it has everything to do with the other riders.

weeksy

I’m rubbish therefore expecting to come near the back, so it doesn’t matter.

manitou
    Free Member

When I raced the trip to the course was the worst.. had to go poo several times.. on the start line however I was serene 🙂

mustard
    Free Member

I’m fine until the start line then my breathing and heart rate go completely bonkers, I’m hoping it will settle a bit with experience, although I think a little bit of pre-race nerves/tension/whatever is healthy.

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

How do I cope with pre race nerves? Badly!
    Much the same as you, although since switching to almost exclusively racing endurance events find it less of a problem, partly due to being a little more confident over a longer distance but I think mainly due to the same reason as you stated in regards to cross events, it’s more about me vs me/the time and course rather than the other people.

When I used to race a lot of cross country races, I used to get myself in a right state. I think there were about 5/6 occasions were I rode as well as I could, that was in about 6/7 years of racing. I used to see friends/other riders winning/getting in the top 5, that I could easily keep up with/beat in training rides/longer races, were as I would be about 20mins behind them. It was really frustrating. I used to really panic about coming last, which never happened after the first race I did, and even when I was at a pretty good level, but I would really ,really worry that I was going to be last. And what does coming last really matter anyway.

I think the Swedish chef’s point about having a routine is a good one, plus trying to remember that it is just meant to be for fun and it’s still you vs you when it comes down to it.
    Other things that can work: Reminding yourself of all the training you have done. Music helps sometimes, I find. Writing down you worries and then rationalising them. Being very prepared. Focus on something else, I know you are meant to be in the “zone” but if your so worked up thinking of something else can help.

rkk01
    Free Member

Ok MM is not a proper race, but…

One of those boxes of red wine was very relaxing 😯

Was bought with the intention of share between the whole team – but due to a combination of late Fri and Sat am arrivals, meant the whole box had to be pollished off by two of us…

… felt shite

trickydisco
    Free Member

I used to see friends/other riders winning/getting in the top 5, that I could easily keep up with/beat in training rides/longer races, were as I would be about 20mins behind them.

this + 1

I have club mates I ride with that I can drop on any climb and out sprint. I also see other guys from other local road clubs in the weekly chain gang that get dropped where i can stay on. These people perform better than me in races and get top 10 placings (in road races)

crazy-legs

Routine is very important – packing everything in the same order, getting the bike sorted in the same way. Always take ALL possible combinations/permutations of clothing, spares, tools or whatever. Most people have a favourite pair of shorts or similar but if it’s cold and you need a pair of knee warmers, it’s no good them being at home and if they are, you’ll get stressed. Knowing that you’re prepared and having a place for everything really helps.

Then it’s just a matter of keeping your race head on, not going charging off chasing down every move and being disciplined about eating and drinking enough.

Gary_M
    Free Member

When I raced, at a fairly high level, I always got pre race nerves but was fine as soon as I got on the start line. Get a routine, try to clear your head, listen to some music.

During the race this then manifests itself into my muscles feeling like they are going to cramp during the latter stages. When it comes to the last lap and finishing my legs will feel extremely tight and i’m not able to sprint. They feel completely locked up. straight after the race my legs are fine with no tightness

You sure that’s nerves?

And are you sure racing is for you?

t-p26
    Free Member

Stop racing, marshal instead….

footflaps

Yep – had race nerves at every XC race I’ve done. You could try 7-11 breathing http://www.clarewhiston.com/7-11-breathing.php which will relax you. Something along the lines of breathing in excites the sympathetic nervous system whereas breathing out excites the parasympathetic nervous system (related to relaxation), so if you breathe out for longer than you breathe in and repeat it enough times, it calms you down.

scratch
    Free Member

I know what you’re saying. The day before the race I’m always nervy, it’s never feels like just a normal day, as said routine helps, pre-race checks the day before, getting the race bag packed and sorted so I’ve got less to think about packing the car on race day.

This probably hampers performance but I’ve found a glass or two of wine helps the night before, nothing daft, just helps relax a bit better and nod off a little sooner.

Race day I usually can’t wait to get on the line and get off, I usually find a decent rythem after half hour or so (hopefully sooner if its a crit!) bit of chat with who evers close just to settle in, after that I’m fine.

It does effect me on the road more than the CX I think though, the CX your just going as hard as you can totally relying on yourself, the road gets sometimes as youre woundering if that attack will stick or if you’ll miss the break or something, how long have you been racing? More experience would help maybe?

Are you in for Castle Coombe 3rds Friday?

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I think i was similar for my 1st RR of the season which as you know went badly. I then decided to ban all thinking/talking about the race by tea time during the week in the run up to the race and wouldn’t allow myself to think about it, read any books that were in any way related to sport/racing so that i would sleep well etc. A bit extreme but i like to read sports related books before i go to sleep and i found i would then start to think about the race = bad nights sleep.

Getting my kit sorted a few days before, plus sticking to my usual routine of work/exercise seems to also work well rather than lots of extra time to worry about the race, and that way i know that my legs are feeling good. I also like to have some films/tv series to watch to escape into as another diversion from thinking about the race. Having settled into that pattern, the next two races were much better by comparision.

I know too well the flight/fight anxiety and the impact it can have on your body and its really not good – you can mail me on fb if you want to talk more about that aspect. What about meditation or yoga or deep breathing? The breathing out longer than breathing in ^^^ is a good tip. I’ve been reading up on the parasympathetic nervous system vs the sympathetic nervous system which is also interesting reading (its related to that heart rate variability ap i use plus past experience and the flight/fight mode too)

hels
    Free Member

In many years of racing I have observed how a lot of people deal with this, and have come to the conclusion that like the size of your engine, it’s genetic. And sorry to the person that said “I can beat people in training” well training is training, it’s not a race, you have just trained a bit faster than they did that day.

Some folk are an uptight bag of nerves, some aren’t. Some have weird rituals (don’t start me) some don’t. Just be as well prepared as you possibly can, get to the venue in plenty of time, have a pee before you go to the start line, and just get on with it.

Funny story, I know who girl who would get really uptight the night before a race, so her “coach” (who should be dis-barred for this one) told her that a sleep the night before, wasn’t as important as a sleep the night before the night before. So guess what ? She raced on two nights of missed sleep.

My advice would be to make sure you have control of the stuff you can control. Well prepped, bike serviced properly, tires checked, plan your feeds etc, reccie the course and decide on your race strategy. Then just get on with it.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Yep, like i say cx racing hasn’t been a problem as it always seems a more relaxed atmosphere anyway plus it is less about other people

<blowing own trumpet> I’ve even beaten a few local elite and 1st cat riders at that on my 2nd go.

You sure that’s nerves?

Just read the stuff about fight vs light response and the central governor theory. So much it think is down to the brain. I get no tight muscles or feeling of cramp on any training ride/chain gang ride i’ve ever done. I just got back from 500 miles training in majorca which was full on.

Pyro

I cope by flat-out refusing to take it seriously.

trickydisco
    Free Member

like i say.. it’s not all racing. Last year i got so pissed off with the castle combe crits by just listening to other people telling me what to do and wondering about fitness i decided to chase every break and form breaks. I thought i’ve paid this money i might as well treat it as training..

Well a couple of races in I got a 10th place. I think i need to cultivate that for road races

DT78
    Free Member

Only raced xc (will also race road this seasion when the new bike turns up)

Maybe I’m blessed, but never get pre-race nerves. The only time I’m uncomfortable on the bike is mass starts where it is a bit frantic and accidents likely.

I suppose it depends on what level you are competing and how much pressure you are putting on yourself?

(caveat did used to compete internationally in a different sport, used to get nervous in those days, then again serious physical injury was much more likely than cycling)

andrewh
    Free Member

used to see friends/other riders winning/getting in the top 5, that I could easily keep up with/beat in training rides/longer races, were as I would be about 20mins behind them.

this + 1

I have club mates I ride with that I can drop on any climb and out sprint. I also see other guys from other local road clubs in the weekly chain gang that get dropped where i can stay on. These people perform better than me in races and get top 10 placings (in road races)

That’s me 😀
    I’m getting dropped on club runs when the pace gets really quick, but usually top 3-4 in the TTs against the same guys.

ac282

Its funny that you find road racing nerve racking. I always found them fairly relaxing as there is so much less pressure on the start and you can ride your self into the race to an extent.

I found the best way to get over my nerves was to do more races.

hels
    Free Member

I found road races instilled way more fear, but more because in Scotland they stick the ladies in with novices and old guys e.g. much doddering and terrifying cornering (brakes in, brakes out, just always brakes) = crash tastic. Gave it up in the end, was only doing it to train for XC, and would walk away more injured than an XC race.

gee
    Free Member

I just remember I’m doing it because I enjoy it, not because I want to win. As someone else said, I just refuse to take it all too seriously. I used to, but I’ve learnt since… Keep smiling.

GB

munrobiker
    Free Member

Disco leg it out.

oldgit
    Free Member

Some guys never switch on during club runs, obviously you know your guys and I don’t, but some guys do their real training alone and just ‘ride’ club sessions. It’s the same here, I can’t just stay on this clubmates wheel during proper training. He has got second places in both races he has entered this year, but I know I’d never stay near him during a race.

Though to answer the original question. Nerves go after a few years.

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

And sorry to the person that said “I can beat people in training” well training is training, it’s not a race, you have just trained a bit faster than they did that day.

Not sure if this is directed at me or not, but totally take the point that some people ride at steady pace during training and others don’t so it’s not 100% accurate or even close. (I’ve beaten pro’s to the top of hills in training but I am 100% sure I am not at that level!)

But still know that there were riders that used to beat me by 10/20 minutes in a normal 2 hour xc race but in a one lap or point to point endurance race (some only maybe 4-5 miles longer than a standard race)I would be way out in front of them or right up with them. And I did have a few races here and there were I was more relaxed and would be, again, right up with them.

Also I used to live right next to a race course and could cruse round it faster than I would in a race which is just stupid!

I think nerves can play a huge part and for me never have gone even after 20 years of racing. They are stupid and pointless, unless you can channel them in a positive way. They definitely effected my performances in races over the years, I used to feel sick and find it very hard to eat anything. I did eat but it was so hard to do, which is an odd think for someone who find it hard not to eat all the time!

I think the “i refuse to take it seriously” thing is almost the best advice, unless you really are shooting for the top spot at a high level, you will probably do a lot better if you just turn up and forget it’s a race. Easy to say hard to do!

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

I have a routine that I try and keep to regardless of race type/importance, by doing set things in a certain order I can create, (the illusion maybe), of everything being normal, and this not being a national or something.

I used to play professional rugby and the above is exactly how I dealt with jitters. I also used to do a lot of positive visualisation before a match which really helped convert those nerves from flight to fight.

My generous rugby build doesn’t do me much good for bike racing, but I still get nervy building up to a race, especially now I’m racing cross.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Anxiety = feeling the event/result is a big deal and/or not believeing you will do as well as you want.

Work on feeling like it doesn’t matter how well you do.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Anxiety = feeling the event/result is a big deal and/or not believeing you will do as well as you want.

Work on feeling like it doesn’t matter how well you do.

yes.. this +1 .. definitely gunna work on this

I do fine the whole central governor theory interesting. i know Idave has mentioned this before

http://www.thefactsaboutfitness.com/news/cent-gov.htm

http://trainingscience.net/?page_id=158

To give you some background, when I started in exercise sciences in 1981, the theory which was popular then and probably still is popular is that when you exercise, the reason why you
    get tired is because your muscles run out of oxygen or glycogen or something else and they then refuse to work, and that’s how fatigue occurs. And over the period of 25 years or so, I realized the problem with that model is it doesn’t include the brain. And so, it’s a brain-less model. And the reality of the human condition is that the brain is there to make sure that we don’t get into trouble and it regulates our behavior.

Yeah, and I’ll go even further than that all the symptoms you have during exercise are generated by your brain. They’re unique to you, and they may be completely different to any symptoms anyone else has. So, we all assume that we feel the same sensations and symptoms during exercise, but that is not proven. My view is that the sensations of discomfort are the way the brain regulates the performance. The symptoms are utterly completely illusory. They are generated by the brain and they have nothing to do with the state of the body at that time.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘One for the racers – how do you deal with Race nerves/anxiety?’ is closed to new replies.