Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • One for the motorheads….
  • Filthy
    Free Member

excellent video, nice use of shock tactics, hopefully it might make someone drive a bit better, I’ll forward it on

psychle
    Free Member

that’s some jolly evening entertainment… cheers guv…

conkerman
    Free Member

Pretty standard for an Aussie ad.

Jimbo
    Free Member

Yawn. “Speeding kills”. Not necessarily. It’s the sudden stop that results should you drive in a manner inappropriate for the conditions (i.e. BAD DRIVING, above or below the speed limit) that generally causes the problems.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Some shocking bits in it.

stano
    Free Member

Well, some of you must be watching far too much reality tv
    I for one found this disturbing and will watch my speed a lot more.
    I thought it was well executed and shocking in the right measure.

conkerman
    Free Member

Once you have seen a few, you have seen them all.

Thats the problem with attempting to replace police with TV Ads.

Conks

ronjeremy
    Free Member

and i was hoping it was a thread involving

hora
    Free Member

Army marksman on bridges stopping fast drivers and children/wimin stepping out into the road. Solved.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

There is nothing new in shock & awe, I believe the US still think this works in wars & against terrorism.

One day we will all learn it just doesn’t 🙁

I thought we were supposed to winning the battle against DD in this country, the statistics say we aren’t. People switch off to ads, because they are ads, and they are far to cleaver to fall for the marketing bull.
    Complacency is king, & lawyers are Gods.

solamanda
    Free Member

Speeding doesn’t kill, stopping too fast does. While the idiots advertise rather than enforcing driving on the roads and proper testing, I will continue three figure fun.

Ta, mines the flame proof jacket.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

solamanda – Member
    Speeding doesn’t kill, stopping too fast does

Really, what ever happened to being able to stop within the distance you can see ahead, & being able to cover any eventuality? (yes it was never going to work in reality)

So, just to make it clear, your saying if you were chasing a ‘better’ car with say carbon ceramics, & he manages to brake for the unforeseen, & then you run up it’s @rse, that becomes the drivers of the car in fronts fault?

Can I get out of this thread please?

solamanda
    Free Member

Hi Martin.

Really, what ever happened to being able to stop within the distance you can see ahead, & being able to cover any eventuality? (yes it was never going to work in reality)

What’s speeding got to do with that? Obviously you need to be able to stop in the distance you can see.

So, just to make it clear, your saying if you were chasing a ‘better’ car with say carbon ceramics, & he manages to brake for the unforeseen, & then you run up it’s @rse, that becomes the drivers of the car in fronts fault?

No, the error there would be leaving too small a gap. The killing bit is the stopping not the speeding, that can be sorted by leaving a bigger gap. However I’d just pass the ‘better’ car, the beauty of two wheels ;o)

FWIW I tend to leave a huge gap between me and the vehicle infront.

badbod99
    Free Member

Excessive speed kills, surprise surprise. Exactly what excessive speed is, is yet to be determined. Is it what a load of biased surveys tell us? Is it what the councils tell us? the government?

To me it’s based on my own judgement. Often that means doing 20 in a 30. Sometimes that means something else.

badbod99
    Free Member

Surprisingly buying a 4×4 slowed me down no end, firstly it doesn’t go over 70, secondly it’s horrible to drive at speed. So make that 15 in the 30 😉

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

David, well put, speeding in itself kills no one, but it is the excepted view.
    TBH I have calmed down a lot, my gap has increased by quite a margin, & I VERY RARELY[/B] break a ton nowadays, in my defense there are also a lot of situations in which I would drive at half the speed limit because of poor line of site, or to much risk of a pedestrian appearing.
    I have, & would again, admit to a copper that the law is an arse & I never adhere to speed limits, but I’m ashamed to say the ikkle devil still gets me now & again 🙁

Have fun on two wheels, you brave man 😉

Coyote
    Free Member

I liked it and would like to see it on national TV at peak times.

You never know, it may actually get through to the needle-dicks who think that speeding is big and clever.

Although reading the responses above, I sadly doubt it.

twohats
    Free Member

solamanda – Member

Speeding doesn’t kill, stopping too fast does.

A bit like saying “guns don’t kill people, its the bullets”.
    Go figure…

Nico
    Free Member

You can’t stop too fast if there’s some pedestrian in front of you.

Jimbo
    Free Member

“You can’t stop too fast if there’s some pedestrian in front of you.”

“Stepping out in front of cars kills”?

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Coyote, if your calling me a ‘needle dick’ then fine, I have no problem with that, but I do have a problem if you have proof.

But hey, if you do have proof then your point is, err, pointless because you have seen my dick, and that makes you, err, happy, or gay?

Do you want my phone number?

sodafarls
    Free Member

Is it bad to be happy and gay?

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Does the motorhead in the thread title refer to petrol heads, driving enthusiasts or just people who drive vehicles?

I resent the implication that anyone who enjoys cars or driving needs to see vfx gore to make them drive a certain way because obviously – petrol heads are responsible for the majority of deaths on our roads as opposed to concentration lapses, errors of judgement, unfamiliarity with road layouts, frustration, alcohol drugs, Portuguese lorry drivers on laptops… blah de blah de blah……

sodafarls
    Free Member

Ps, I think you are more than likely a needle dick stupid selfish cockhead too.

PPS, I’m neither happy nor gay.

PPS, but I console myself with the knowledge that i’m not a boyracer.

PPPS, You fancy Clarkson and his gimps.

PPPPS, each to their own and all…

mostlyharmless
    Free Member

it’s an australian ad and it’s for a different culture. The uk has very sophisticated marketing. Apart from a few very clever beer adverts Australian ads just shout louder the harder they try to get the message across. The driving standards are orders of magnitude below the uk IMHO.

solamanda
    Free Member

A bit like saying “guns don’t kill people, its the bullets”.
    Go figure…

No, it’s like saying, “guns don’t kill people, its people using them to kill people”. Not very catchy but that’s the point. Too much focus is put on a measurable fact, speed. Rather than looking at the actual causes of the majority of accidents, poor judgement or lack of concentration.

You never know, it may actually get through to the needle-dicks who think that speeding is big and clever.

Although reading the responses above, I sadly doubt it.

Nice, bet you’re a big strong fella cowering behind your keyboard calling names over the internet.

There is a big difference between speeding in areas that are likely to cause others injury and on deserted A/M roads. I often ride/drive at well below the limit on residential roads. I’m pretty sure you are more likely to kill someone else doing 30mph down a road with cars parked both sides than 100mph on a country road.

conkerman
    Free Member

There used to be a sign up on the cat and fiddle run that put it succinctly.

“Ride/Drive like a t w * t and you will die.”

We should have that all over the place.

twohats
    Free Member

Too much focus is put on a measurable fact, speed. Rather than looking at the actual causes of the majority of accidents, poor judgement or lack of concentration.

Really? So these same people would still be having accidents at lower speeds due to poor judgement or lack of concentration?

hora
    Free Member

There are people out there who will crash at any speed. Its only a matter of time for them. Just like certain kids will always play on train tracks whereas others who saw the same warning films wouldnt dream of it. The ones who survive stupidity catch it at somepoint later on in life. Go figure.

druidh
    Free Member

Strange that this thread should focus so much on speeding as an issue. Despite the title of the Youtube clip, most of the examples shown are less about speed, more about general poor driving / lack of concentration etc.

conkerman
    Free Member

Speed = Enforcable by machines = less expense on the polis.

Now, there are places where I think speed cameras have a place (outside schools etc). But on major routes, more police/better road design would do a lot more than speed cameras.

But that costs money rather than making it.

Go figure!

kiwijohn

Mostlyharmless: mostly ill informed.
    As for the vid, i’ve only seen one of them on tv here.

conkerman
    Free Member

Yeah You Aussies are stoopid. (joke by the way!)

OMG I am watching cheaters on Living 2.

Arrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggghhhhhhhhh!

mostlyharmless
    Free Member

Kiwijohn I did 40k miles per year in the uk. Now I live with Oz driving every day so I think I’m well enough informed. I do a fraction of the travel and see more near misses than I used to. The majority due to bad driving habbits or kids in v8s. One nearly killed me on the way home from hospital the day my son was born. He was in a car he could only dream of insuring in the uk but didn’t have to over here.

If you’re offended by the culture remark it wasn’t a uk’s better remark at all. Just an observation that in general it’s a straight talking, more direct approach. I stand by what I said. Just what was it i said that was uninformed?

kiwijohn

The uk has very sophisticated marketing.
    Apart from a few very clever beer adverts Australian ads just shout louder the harder they try to get the message across.
    The driving standards are orders of magnitude below the uk IMHO.

Don’t know why I thought you were saying the UK was so much better & more sophisticated than Oz. Where did you move to by the way?

mostlyharmless
    Free Member

The UK does have very sophisticated marketing with big advertising budgets. Australia is a small market and a different culture so the smaller marketing budgets don’t stretch to things like the nescafe extravaganza. The ads work on a more direct level is all I’m saying and that level is simply not as sophisticated. That’s not a claim that the UK is better than Oz or even more sophisticated. The US has some very expensive, very sophisticated marketing. Does that suggest that the US is better or more sohpisticated. I don’t think so.

The evidence I’ve seen in the 4+ years is that the average commuter drives with less awareness of safety than in the UK – again in my opinion. I now take it for granted that women with a car full of kids will tailgate me with no chance of stopping if i braked. People cut in and out of lanes with no warning or room and indicators are for telling folk what they’re half way through doing rather than their intentions.

I did not suggest the UK was better than Oz. I live here by choice and wouldn’t move back tho there are things I miss. I do say the marketing is less sophisticated and the driving standards are lower. I don’t know for sure but I’d put money on the statistics backing me up. Statistics = can of worms and I’m not going there.

I’m genuinely sorry if you took it the wrong way – it’s all to easy for things to come out wrong in print.

You asked where I am – I’m in Perth. I’ll accept readily if you tell me the East coast is a different culture again. The economic boom in WA (which was not the reason I’m here) is responsible for a lot of 17yo CUBs in crazy cars. I haven’t seen any of those adds over here but I don’t get to see much TV (unless you count the wiggles, mickey mouse clubhouse etc). I suspect those are the people a lot of the ads are aimed at. And at the risk of getting back to the OP, unsophisticated as I am, I thought the ad was shocking and effective. I also agree it will probably loose impact as people get used to them but there will always be some 17yo seeing it for the first time.

And if you are 17 and reading this, I’m not having a go at you. What age is Casey Stoner for goodness sake.

kiwijohn

The economic boom hasn’t hit us in Tassie yet, so less CUBs in new Commodores. I have to go to Melbourne a bit & have never found the driving that bad. Only passing through, not rush hour. There are a few idiots out there in cars , but I’m sure that isn’t restricted to Oz.
    I’ve only seen one of those ads on tv, & not the shocking ones either. They have made me think though, maybe they should show them more often. Not that I’m a hoon though.
    17, I’m afraid that was 20 years ago.

andym
    Free Member

Yawn. “Speeding kills”. Not necessarily. It’s the sudden stop that results should you drive in a manner inappropriate for the conditions (i.e. BAD DRIVING, above or below the speed limit) that generally causes the problems

Yep. Got to agree with you there – it’s not speeding that kills, it’s not being able to stop in time. What is their problem?

mostlyharmless
    Free Member

or as Billy Crystal called it in Running Scared – deceleration trauma.

KJ – I’ve driven all over Oz except NT and Tassie – I’d love to see both esp now you reassure me it’s safe 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘One for the motorheads….’ is closed to new replies.