Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • one for the knife people… an update…
  • wysiwyg
    Free Member

Would i be correct in saying the technique of the original Damascus bladesmiths died with them and we are only guessing how they did it?

toppers3933
    Free Member

The video on the previous page of the guy making the Celtic knife and the anvil is brilliant. Not over keen on the knife but the skill is very impressive.

daftvader
    Free Member

As far as I can tell the initial thoughts on Damascus is that it was done due to the lack of good steel, so mixing what was available was done. Pattern welded blades have been made for thousands of years, some celtic swords another classic katakana, these can also be classed as Damascus as once acid etched the layers of steel will be visible. Modern methods of producing Damascus hasn’t really changed but for the use of power hammers and presses. However with the availability of steels now different patterns are able to be mademuch easier, rather than creating a blade then using good steel to edge the weapon…

chojin
    Free Member

Has anyone been to New Zealand and done knife making in Barrytown?

The bloke who runs it is absolutely bonkers. One of my best memories of the place, and I even got to bring my knife back to the UK.

http://barrytownknifemaking.com/

If you’re in the area it’d be rude not to.

daftvader
    Free Member

well the last knife for the moment is finished. really pleased how the leather dye effect turned out.
    [/url]DSC_0555 by daftvader77, on Flickr[/img]
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/xrAzLh]DSC_0554[/url] by daftvader77, on Flickr

next going to get some D2 steel as it has better corrosion resistance.

Duffer
    Free Member

That looks lovely.

How have you made the section between the blade and handle? What material is it?

daftvader
    Free Member

It’s a brass bolster, pinned in place with 3mm brass pins that I peened and ground so they dissappear, shaped by hand and finished to 600 grit wet and dry….

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘one for the knife people… an update…’ is closed to new replies.