Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • One for the IT,Garmin crowd
  • pistonbroke
    Free Member

I’m doing a ride next week that requires me to download the route onto a GPS,I’ve got a Garmin Edge Touring but the organiser has sent the route in a format that I haven’t got the skills to transfer to my GPS. When I open the attachment on his e mail, it shows me the route on Google Earth the file name ends .kmz, there is an alternative file which is titled TRACKS_2016.rar which seems to be zipped using software I haven’t got. The problem is that the organiser is Spanish as the event is in N Spain and my language/IT skills are insufficient to explain my problem to him. Can anyone help? Preferably in words of 1 syllable.

leffeboy

7zip will undo rar files for you

Or even easier, just upload the Kmz here
    http://www.gpsies.com/convert.do;?language=en

And beaten to it by the next post

jam-bo

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scotroutes

You could load the KMZ file into Garmin Basecamp and send it to the Garmin from there.

excitable1
    Free Member

The KMZ file is a Garmin Custom Map file and should work fine with your touring.

If you save your KMZ file on your PC (rename it to something.kmz if you prefer) then link up your Garmin to your PC, you should be able to open the Garmin files through the normal explorer. You’re looking for the ‘new files’ folder on the Garmin directory (usually a third of the way down the list). Copy your KMZ file across to that folder then disconnect your Garmin. It should power down but if it doesn’t turn it off and on again. Go into your courses on your Garmin (without connecting back up to your PC) and the new file should be listed for you to pick and follow etc.

If that doesn’t work go to Bikehike and click on the ‘load route’ on the right hand side. Again explore to your saved KMZ file and upload it. The route should then appear on the map. You can then click the ‘save route’ tab, call it something different in the pop up box, and then click ‘download’. Once you’ve done this you can go through the same process as above with your ‘new files’ folder on the Garmin and it should come up.

I’ve given you the second option with Bikehike because sometimes KMZ files that other people have sent me won’t upload, but they always work when I’ve put them through Bikehike.

Hope that works for you.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Cheers all, used GPSies and it transferred fine, only issue now is the 620km off road with 13,000m climbing. 😀 Oh and there was snow at 2600m a couple of weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘One for the IT,Garmin crowd’ is closed to new replies.