Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • one for the geeks – VPN question
  • therealhoops
    Free Member

I'm trying to connect to my home using VPN. Problem is my work pc is on a LAN where the end users have fixed IP's. The router/t'interweb gateway also has a fixed IP on the LAN. When I try to connect to home it makes the connection but then freaks out because the VPN trys to assign a client IP address, while the network adaptor says "don't think so mate you're this IP".

Is it possible to have a fixed IP pc on a LAN and a VPN running at the same time?

edit: 99.9% sure firewalls aren't the problem but the work router might need a fettle to allow 1723 tunneling.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

*Misread title as VPL question*

*Is disappointed*

disco_stu
    Free Member

are the ip address ranges the same for the home pc and the lan? if they are the same then you'll need to change the ip address of the home pc.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    therealhoops
    Free Member

Current work lan ip is 192.168.0.14. Home range is 0.60 to 0.65.

therealhoops
    Free Member

update: when ever I try to connect to the VPN I lose my t'interweb access 🙁

coffeeking
    Free Member

VPN is something I've always found conceptually clear as crystal but implementationally clear as mud.

DickBarton

Extend the IP range to cover the work IP as well?

disco_stu
    Free Member

change the home range to 1.60 to 1.65 and it should work

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Excuse me, but what language are you all writing in?

surfer
    Free Member

update: when ever I try to connect to the VPN I lose my t'interweb access

When you use your VPN you become "virtually" a PC on your "work" network even though you are physically remote.
    You probably have some proxy settings within your browser which may need changing or adding to align with your office internet gateway settings.

retro83
    Free Member

because all your traffic is now going via your work connection and they block port 80 outbound traffic. probably need to use their proxy.

VPN = pain in the arnoos

GrahamS

disco_stu's solution seconded. Make sure they are separate IP ranges and all should be fine (sitting here VPNed to work right now).

GrahamS

Go to the Properties of the VPN connection, then TCP/IP Properties, Advanced, and make sure "Use default gateway on remote network" is NOT ticked.

All internet traffic will now flow through your own gateway, but you'll still be able to Remote Desktop / VNC to your work machine and use it (if that is what you are trying to do)

disco_stu
    Free Member

sorry, would have added a bit more of an explaination but i'm still on my lunch break and someone's already provided one 😀

Bream
    Free Member

I gave up with trying to get a VPN to my home PC from work, just too much trouble so I now use LogMeIn which works a treat plus its free 8)

therealhoops
    Free Member

woohoo it works, and the prize for "VPN know it all" goes to…

…… GrahamS

cheers fella

therealhoops
    Free Member

….and for those that care the IP addys haven't been changed.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘one for the geeks – VPN question’ is closed to new replies.